Help Nexus 6P battery life issue

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I charge it to 100% last night at around 1:25 and boot it in safe mode. I let it sit and woke up in the morning around 6:30, it was at 88%. Is that normal to drain about 12% without running anything in 5hrs?
No, that sounds totally bogus. Did you happen to take a screenshot of the History details screen at that point?

Did you have Bluetooth turned on during that time frame?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Do you see GSam anywhere in this list?//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161027/c801d1fe40501f0846901b2db3b61e1d.jpgI thought not...

I don't know what the problem was on your configuration, but I have not had a similar problem and I've been using it for years. Perhaps you should contact the developer with some concrete information so that they can investigate.

I think I agree with Maverick here. The only times my battery life has been subpar was with GSAM installed. It is constantly working on the background so I can see why it mAh show up as Android system. I decided to try uninstalling it again after I saw Mavericks post just to make sure it wasn't a placebo. I took the phone off the charger at 7:00am this morning. I am at 53% and close to 3 hours SOT. That is an hour more than before and the only change was uninstalling GSAM.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Here is the screenshot and my Bluetooth was off.
Good info. I see that your cellular signal is lousy and I'm guessing that is the reason for the precipitous drop in battery life. You were in Safe mode, so 3rd party apps aren't the cause. Did you just have Wi-Fi turned on, or were you actually connected to a good Wi-Fi signal that whole time?

I'd suggest repeating this test (full charge, Safe mode) but put the phone in Airplane mode (and then turn Wi-Fi on) before you go to bed and get a screenshot of the History details when you wake up. If battery life looks like it should then we'll have to see if there's a way to deal with your lousy signal.

What carrier are you with?

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It is constantly working on the background so I can see why it mAh show up as Android system.
In my configuration GSam is not lumped in with Android System - it has its own line item: it was just so far down the list that it didn't show up in that screenshot. See for yourself.
300154978a23d645b3dd9ea5eb1df86c.jpg
3f5ae340b0119139ff95be3b3ed71663.jpg
a81c234e31f24132d90e2fdfb067b4b5.jpg
But if it's not helping you troubleshoot poor battery life or if it's causing you to have poor battery life, by all means uninstall it. I have no vested interest - I don't work for the developer or get any kickbacks for recommending the app - it's just a tool in my toolbox and if it helps me it might help others. There are other tools out there - use any of them and recommend them to others if they work for you.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
In my configuration GSam is not lumped in with Android System - it has its own line item: it was just so far down the list that it didn't show up in that screenshot. See for yourself.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161029/300154978a23d645b3dd9ea5eb1df86c.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161029/3f5ae340b0119139ff95be3b3ed71663.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161029/a81c234e31f24132d90e2fdfb067b4b5.jpgBut if it's not helping you troubleshoot poor battery life or if it's causing you to have poor battery life, by all means uninstall it. I have no vested interest - I don't work for the developer or get any kickbacks for recommending the app - it's just a tool in my toolbox and if it helps me it might help others. There are other tools out there - use any of them and recommend them to others if they work for you.

I know what the fancy graphs say and I was as skeptical as you and actually really like GSAM but better battery life without it is definitely my experience.

Dang806

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Good info. I see that your cellular signal is lousy and I'm guessing that is the reason for the precipitous drop in battery life. You were in Safe mode, so 3rd party apps aren't the cause. Did you just have Wi-Fi turned on, or were you actually connected to a good Wi-Fi signal that whole time?

I'd suggest repeating this test (full charge, Safe mode) but put the phone in Airplane mode (and then turn Wi-Fi on) before you go to bed and get a screenshot of the History details when you wake up. If battery life looks like it should then we'll have to see if there's a way to deal with your lousy signal.

What carrier are you with?

Yes it was connected to my home wifi the whole time. My phone carrier is At&t. I try and boot it again tonight in safe mode and get a history screenshot.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes it was connected to my home wifi the whole time. My phone carrier is At&t. I try and boot it again tonight in safe mode and get a history screenshot.
Great! Remember to put it in Airplane mode (after booting into Safe mode), which will turn off your cellular radios (no voice; no data) and then re-enable WiFi (which will give you back your data connection).

In the meantime you could call AT&T and ask them about a network extender (just Google AT&T network extender and find the result, around the third one down, that takes you to www_dot_att_dot_com_slash_att_slash_microcell_slash

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
For whatever reason that screenshot doesn't show how much time elapsed but regardless the slope on the graph is totally off - it should be very gradual. Looks like there's something wrong with your hardware or your OS is borked.

Edit: I read back through the thread and it looks like you've reloaded the OS and wiped the cache in Recovery. So I think you should contact the seller about getting a replacement. (Also noticed your original comment about the phone getting hot while charging - that shouldn't be happening, unless you have the phone in the sun and doing something like running Google Maps at the same time.)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The main problem might be a defective battery, which would explain both the steep battery drain and the excess heat when charging.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax