I sold my Nexus 6P and I guess I forgot to disable Factory Reset Protection. It's now prompting the new owner for my Google account. If I provide them with my info, does it set up the phone automatically under my account, or will it prompt them to set it up with a different account after? (Therefore giving me the chance to reset my Google account password after I provide it to them)

Any help would be appreciated so that I avoid having to drive out to do it in person!
    10-29-2016 05:55 PM
    This happened with me when I sold one of my phones. You have to give them your info so that they can remove the device from your account and sign in with theirs. In my experience, I just got an email saying that there a sign in on that device, but after that, all was good and they were able to set it up under their account.
    MathieuLLF likes this.
    10-29-2016 06:07 PM
    This happened with me when I sold one of my phones. You have to give them your info so that they can remove the device from your account and sign in with theirs. In my experience, I just got an email saying that there a sign in on that device, but after that, all was good and they were able to set it up under their account.
    Thanks for the reply! So it doesn't let them set up the device with my account though right? (I really don't want them having access to my email...
    libra89 likes this.
    10-29-2016 06:12 PM
    Thanks for the reply! So it doesn't let them set up the device with my account though right? (I really don't want them having access to my email...
    I don't think so. You should be fine. You're welcome and good luck! Be sure to get confirmation from them saying that everything is okay before changing your password, or you can set it to a random password just for this, and then change it back.
    10-29-2016 06:14 PM
    I don't think so. You should be fine. You're welcome and good luck! Be sure to get confirmation from them saying that everything is okay before changing your password, or you can set it to a random password just for this, and then change it back.
    I thought I read that if I change my password before it will lock them out of the phone for 72 hours
    10-29-2016 06:26 PM
    I thought I read that if I change my password before it will lock them out of the phone for 72 hours
    Ohh okay, in that case, ignore my advice. Just change it later.
    MathieuLLF likes this.
    10-29-2016 06:30 PM
    Ohh okay, in that case, ignore my advice. Just change it later.
    I'll just play it safe and go meet them in person tomorrow. Thanks again!
    libra89 and lions_lair99 like this.
    10-29-2016 06:32 PM
    I'll just play it safe and go meet them in person tomorrow. Thanks again!
    Man I would definitely meet him and do another factory wipe on it and make sure you uncheck that back up or restore box. It is my thought that you would be fine bc he doesn't have your password but he could always choose to set the phone up like you had it which could or could not give him access to personal info. Good call on meeting him man. For your protection. Google stores everything you give them and more!
    10-29-2016 07:28 PM
    Man I would definitely meet him and do another factory wipe on it and make sure you uncheck that back up or restore box. It is my thought that you would be fine bc he doesn't have your password but he could always choose to set the phone up like you had it which could or could not give him access to personal info. Good call on meeting him man. For your protection. Google stores everything you give them and more!
    Thanks for the response! I ended up meeting him and logging in, removing my account and then wiping it again which then let him set it up properly. I didn't uncheck the backup and restore, but wouldn't that be a part of my account?
    libra89 likes this.
    10-31-2016 11:00 AM
    What you did was 100% the smart thing to do... giving someone your google password is sketchy at best. In all likelihood, you could have given it to him, had him enter it into the phone, clear things out and then you could have switched it to something new, but.... there's that 'but' scenario.
    MathieuLLF likes this.
    10-31-2016 01:52 PM
    I would NOT give them your info. Best to just get the phone back, fix it and send it back. You pay shipping since it's your fault. Letting them log in gives them access to EVERYTHING. Not wise.

**Read latest reply. Good move!
    11-07-2016 09:27 AM
    How do you enable reset protection? TIA
    11-18-2016 10:19 AM