"Error while trying to connect to camera" in Google Drive

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Starting today, when I try to Scan a document with Google Drive on my Nexus 6P (Android version 7.0, Security Patch level October 5, 2016, Kernel version 3.10.73-g875b816, Build number NBD90X, i.e., all the latest available to me) via Drive -> + -> Scan, I get an "Error while trying to connect to camera" message. I've rebooted the phone several times and have cleared Drive's cache. If I'm lucky, it looks like I can get one scanning session out of Drive before having to reboot the phone again. After that, it's back to the error message.

I've also gone through all my apps and looked at their permissions. The apps I have that use the camera are:

- Barcode Scanner
- Camera
- Drive
- Google Play Services
- OneNote
- Street View
- Translate
- USAA

I've tested each of those apps (except the Google Play Services app since I don't have direct access to it) and all of them except for Drive can use the camera without trouble. From that, I assume the camera, itself, is fine. I also assume that some other app isn't grabbing the camera and locking everything out (otherwise those other apps would also fail). My final assumption is that this has been caused by the latest Drive update of 27 October 2016 (v 2.4.382.19.40) since I no trouble with this before today.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it, with the same version of Drive that you listed, and it worked fine (after I gave it permission to take pictures and record video). However I'm currently on 7.1.1 (NPF10C).

Have you tried clearing the permissions for Drive to see if that makes a difference?

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I turned off all of Drive's permissions, rebooted the phone, turned them all back on, and rebooted again. It's possible that fixed it. I hit the Scan button 3 times and got a camera feed each time. I'll let it sit for a bit and try some more later. Thanks.

EDIT: It's still working. So, it looks like resetting Drive's permissions worked.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's also possible that one of those 3rd party apps (like Barcode Scanner) is glitching and not letting other apps use the camera. The next time this happens, try uninstalling it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc