Buy 6P now or wait till after holidays?

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Intrigued by Google's Fi plan and the "pure" Android experience, I was looking to buy the 6P (the Pixel phones are just way too expensive for me. I can afford them, but for me I can't justify that much money for a phone). Currently have LG G3 on Sprint (purchased last year on sale for $.01!!!).

I was wondering if it's worth it to wait until after the holidays (price drop?) or doesn't it matter with the Google phones. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Almost forgot, I'm breaking my own rules with the 6P because I previously preferred replaceable batteries and an sd card option. If anyone has any feedback with the 6P regarding that I would appreciate it. Did it impact you at all? Thanks again...

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Intrigued by Google's Fi plan and the "pure" Android experience, I was looking to buy the 6P (the Pixel phones are just way too expensive for me. I can afford them, but for me I can't justify that much money for a phone). Currently have LG G3 on Sprint (purchased last year on sale for $.01!!!).

I was wondering if it's worth it to wait until after the holidays (price drop?) or doesn't it matter with the Google phones. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Almost forgot, I'm breaking my own rules with the 6P because I previously preferred replaceable batteries and an sd card option. If anyone has any feedback with the 6P regarding that I would appreciate it. Did it impact you at all? Thanks again...

I'm not on fi but att.. To answer your question.. No it hasn't effected me at all yet.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Almost forgot, I'm breaking my own rules with the 6P because I previously preferred replaceable batteries and an sd card option. If anyone has any feedback with the 6P regarding that I would appreciate it.
If you get out of the habit of charging your device to 100%, and don't rely on rapid charging (except on occasion), you won't have to worry about exceeding the number of charge cycles on your battery. Feel free to check out AccuBattery https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.digibites.accubattery&token=NPE4JiBv (specifically, look at the links they provide in their tutorial, for how to extend your battery longevity) as one reference. Or read through the materials at Battery University

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
If you get out of the habit of charging your device to 100%, and don't rely on rapid charging (except on occasion), you won't have to worry about exceeding the number of charge cycles on your battery. Feel free to check out AccuBattery https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.digibites.accubattery&token=L6xA1sWS (specifically, look at the links they provide in their tutorial, for how to extend your battery longevity) as one reference. Or read through the materials at Battery University

So does charging to 100% really affect/damage the phone batteries ? Sometimes I'll leave my phone charging overnight (with official charger I purchased from Google store). I'll usually go to sleep around 11ish and I wake up no later than 7 a.m. but if I wake up in the middle of the night I'll unplug the phone. Otherwise I'll unplug it around 6ish or so if I wake up before my alarm goes off (alarm is set for 6:45 a.m. during the work week)

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you get out of the habit of charging your device to 100%, and don't rely on rapid charging (except on occasion), you won't have to worry about exceeding the number of charge cycles on your battery. Feel free to check out AccuBattery https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.digibites.accubattery&token=IFSxotKL (specifically, look at the links they provide in their tutorial, for how to extend your battery longevity) as one reference. Or read through the materials at Battery University
Thanks for the info! I had no idea charging to 100% could impact overall battery life. I'll take a look at those links. Thanks again!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So does charging to 100% really affect/damage the phone batteries?
I provided a few references that will give you some information on the matter and I'm sure Google will offer a ton more - as they say on that football commercial: 'you make the call'.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I had no idea charging to 100% could impact overall battery life. I'll take a look at those links. Thanks again!

I charge my phone to 100% all the time, and the battery life has been basically the same. The rapid charging this phone does will not hurt your battery. The real enemy of your battery is extreme heat, and cold.

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I charge my phone to 100% all the time, and the battery life has been basically the same. The rapid charging this phone does will not hurt your battery. The real enemy of your battery is extreme heat, and cold.
Well fortunately for me (or rather my phone) the extreme temps are not an issue...

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Will the 6p drop below 399 for a 32g for the holidays you are thinking? If so whether a 32g or 64g price relative compared to now, waiting is a great option. I kind of think they wouldn't drop below 399 at least for the 32g anyway.

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Will the 6p drop below 399 for a 32g for the holidays you are thinking? If so whether a 32g or 64g price relative compared to now, waiting is a great option. I kind of think they wouldn't drop below 399 at least for the 32g anyway.
I did some digging online and found in July on Amazon (for Prime members) the unlocked 64GB and 128GB Nexus 6p were available for $403 and $478 respectively. I can only think (hope!?) that the prices will be even less around the holidays...

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I did some digging online and found in July on Amazon (for Prime members) the unlocked 64GB and 128GB Nexus 6p were available for $403 and $478 respectively. I can only think (hope!?) that the prices will be even less around the holidays...

I wouldn't count on it. The 6p is the kinda phone that holds its value. If you want it cheaper, swapped lowest is $310 ATM.

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I was hoping between discounts in the past and with the new (but overpriced for me) Pixel phones that there might be some downward pressure on the phone price come the holidays. One can dream!!!

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

Correct. I bought my128GB 6p on Amazon Prime Day (July 12th) for $478. If you wait until the MORNING of Black Friday, you should be able to get a great deal, for last year on Black Friday, I was able to get the 64GB Nexus 6 for $249, and it hasn't been that low since. The sale lasted until about 12 noon.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I was hoping between discounts in the past and with the new (but overpriced for me) Pixel phones that there might be some downward pressure on the phone price come the holidays. One can dream!!!

Wait until the week before Black Friday, and put the 6p of your choice in your cart. Keep it there and continue checking the price. If there is a sale on Black Friday (and there will probably be one), the price will automatically drop early that morning. Keep in mind that it will sell out quickly, so you will want to finalize the order immediately.

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wait until the week before Black Friday, and put the 6p of your choice in your cart. Keep it there and continue checking the price. If there is a sale on Black Friday (and there will probably be one), the price will automatically drop early that morning. Keep in mind that it will sell out quickly, so you will want to finalize the order immediately.
GREAT advice. Thank you. I think I'll do just that. The phone purchased through Amazon (or any other site for that matter) should work fine on the Google Fi network, correct? I just need their sim card?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The phone purchased through Amazon (or any other site for that matter) should work fine on the Google Fi network, correct?
Be sure you purchase model H1511 (the North America version), not model H1512 (the International version).

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
IMO - if you want the pure Android experience - it's the 6p, the Pixels, or any Moto phone. Hopefully the 6p will go down in price for the holidays. I have a 32 GB 6p since last November. For $500 back then, I still consider it a bargain and it's a shame the Pixels are expensive.

If I was buying a new phone today, I'd go for the new Moto Z Play via the Motorola website or as a Verizon exclusive for around $400. It's a mid range phone with good specs and from what I hear, it has the best battery life at the moment. You also have mod options with the Moto Z line.

Here's a good review on it...
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=KJANGZFhCco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax