Anyone seen the review of the Pixel XL then compared it to the 6p?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So I watched a detailed review on the Pixel XL. No doubt a nice device but please do tell me if I'm missing something major here to justify market value of the Pixel to be 300 dollars roughly more than the 6p. Okay the Pixel has one more gig of ram. Real world that's not much to tell. It has less speaker capacity. Specs cone out to be pretty close to the 6p overall and they of course have the same interface minus it having 7.1. Okay another plus for pixel. Updates quicker and for a longer time period. I'm still not seeing $300 market value difference yet. 6p has really everything one would expect from a flagship standpoint. So my question is are we seeing a loss of the powerful Nexus with flagship specs at a $399 value to be replaced by pixel which is almost twice the cost yet to get pretty much the same performance of the wonderful price of the 6p? I watched the entire review on YouTube. Is basically the 6p device tweaked a bit but since I value homes for a living and certify to data supported market value, how on earth can any data be found to support the almost $300 dollar value difference in these two devices? Unless im missing a major market speak upgrade, no data I've found or can compile would be supported on paper to substantiate such an increase on overall sales price of the Pixel XL to be that of almost double the 6p. As an appraiser when I value a home I select true comparable sales that are similar to my subject. The subject in this case is the 6p which one the marker value world you adjust to the comparable property to make it appear like the subject by extracting data from a sales analysis to derive an adjustment to get an adjusted value which is set off from its sells price or in this case the retail price of the Pixel. If you take this pixel retail and try to market adjust it to be like that of the 6p on paper, I cannot find any data that supports a $300 dollar superior to the 6p adjustment for it to have an adjusted overall sales price to almost double the 6p. I know it sounds odd but that's how you appraise property of any type. You take the comparable and adjust it by supported data to make it look as if it were the subject which in this case is the 6p. The pixel is an excellent comparable product so it's a valid comparable sale so to speak. If anyone is in the market value industry all this will make perfect sense. There is no data that suggests the Pixel to be almost double in value compared to the 6p.

Thoughts anyone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
how on earth can any data be found to support the almost $300 dollar value difference in these two devices?
A device is worth what people will pay for it - which is why we have advertising. If people were willing to pay $2,000 for a Pixel, that's what it would sell for. There's no "it has this and not that, so it's worth $X - it's "worth" what it sells for in reasonable quantities.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Software speaking, I don't think the 6P will get seamless updates. That requires setting up a new partition that I don't think can be feasibly done via an OTA.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm just looking at it from a spec comparison and then sales comparison approach. I maybe looking at it wrong to compare it's value the way I value homes but to me I thought it to be similar. The market of course has dictated a flagship to be 650 to 750 but when you take the specs of the 6p vs the Pixel XL, through typical market analysis on paper the Pixel XL isn't worth double the 6p. I guess in this case with in a few months time the market will show by the sales trend

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think we would have to wait for some owners of both to chime in. I was a 5X to Pixel convert...can't really help out much here.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I use both on a daily basis. If I weren't using two phones it'd be hard to justify an upgrade from the 6P to the Pixel XL

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I use both on a daily basis. If I weren't using two phones it'd be hard to justify an upgrade from the 6P to the Pixel XL
Although I've not physically handled the Pixel, your comment here is what I got from the detailed review I watched. I didn't see the $300 value difference in the two devices. Your comment is interesting as you have first hand experience with both so it's a strong and very valid point you stated. It also means towards my post question and point I was getting at. Where's the $300 value difference. I suppose the only explanation is they changed the name to Pixel, Google released it and called it their flagship device so I hat being said they are able to value it at other competitors rough market value of what flagships sell for. Just blows my mind to know how similar the 6p is so in a sense the market as a whole kind of over pays for the term flagship. Nice post you made. Thank you for making it.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have 6p and not planning to buy Pixel XL unless it goes on sale.

The pixel XL has been sold out for weeks. Meaning people don't care it's expensive as hell.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm just looking at it from a spec comparison and then sales comparison approach. I maybe looking at it wrong to compare it's value the way I value homes but to me I thought it to be similar. The market of course has dictated a flagship to be 650 to 750 but when you take the specs of the 6p vs the Pixel XL, through typical market analysis on paper the Pixel XL isn't worth double the 6p. I guess in this case with in a few months time the market will show by the sales trend

If you're looking at it from a specs comparison then you should see that the pixel is worth more, how much is dependent on the buyer. Like you said it has an extra gig of ram, a processor that's built on new architecture and is over 40% more efficient and faster, better gpu, an updated camera sensor, and a higher density screen (yes I know it's smaller).

So, back to your home comparison, you're trying to say that the 3000 sqft 6p is essentially the same as the 4000 sqft pixel.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Although I've not physically handled the Pixel, your comment here is what I got from the detailed review I watched. I didn't see the $300 value difference in the two devices. Your comment is interesting as you have first hand experience with both so it's a strong and very valid point you stated. It also means towards my post question and point I was getting at. Where's the $300 value difference. I suppose the only explanation is they changed the name to Pixel, Google released it and called it their flagship device so I hat being said they are able to value it at other competitors rough market value of what flagships sell for. Just blows my mind to know how similar the 6p is so in a sense the market as a whole kind of over pays for the term flagship. Nice post you made. Thank you for making it.
I do think the Pixel is better in almost every way. Just not sure it's worth an upgrade from such a recent flagship with do much in common.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
If you're looking at it from a specs comparison then you should see that the pixel is worth more, how much is dependent on the buyer. Like you said it has an extra gig of ram, a processor that's built on new architecture and is over 40% more efficient and faster, better gpu, an updated camera sensor, and a higher density screen (yes I know it's smaller).

So, back to your home comparison, you're trying to say that the 3000 sqft 6p is essentially the same as the 4000 sqft pixel.
Nice. I like the comparison analogy and you also explained it perfectly. So the question is then, is the 6p really a 3000 sqft home which if in fact it is then it's not a suitable comparable to use in the determination of value for the Pixel meaning it's not a valid comp for comparison. The specs you talked about, are they that much better than the 6p? Is the 6p a valid comparable property to use to value the Pixel? I ask only because by the specs you spoke of makes me think then I was indeed missing something as I was basing my thoughts that the 6p was in fact a very comparable property to use as a comparable device. If the 6p is not a valid comparable, what Android is on par with the Pixel. Like I said I've not spent any time at all with the Pixel but I've owned many flagship devices. From the experience ive had with other 700 dollar devices, in real world use, I am unable to see how the 6p is that much different than the flagships I've owned. It seems they've either under valued the 6p or flagships are over valued are my thoughts. One example is I owned the Moto Z Force. Aside from the obvious mods of course, I've not been able to tell performance wise and screen resolution wise real world difference that suggests the Z Force to be any better of a device other than the mods. I guess what I'm trying to grasp is to me the 6p seems very much to be on par with other flagships. If I'm wrong tell me as again I maybe totally off on my thoughts of that, but if it is basically on par with other flagships, why, would and how can they sell it roughly $300 cheaper if indeed it's on par with other flagships? If it's not flagship worthy, then I'm missing a huge factor.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Nice. I like the comparison analogy and you also explained it perfectly. So the question is then, is the 6p really a 3000 sqft home which if in fact it is then it's not a suitable comparable to use in the determination of value for the Pixel meaning it's not a valid comp for comparison. The specs you talked about, are they that much better than the 6p? Is the 6p a valid comparable property to use to value the Pixel? I ask only because by the specs you spoke of makes me think then I was indeed missing something as I was basing my thoughts that the 6p was in fact a very comparable property to use as a comparable device. If the 6p is not a valid comparable, what Android is on par with the Pixel. Like I said I've not spent any time at all with the Pixel but I've owned many flagship devices. From the experience ive had with other 700 dollar devices, in real world use, I am unable to see how the 6p is that much different than the flagships I've owned. It seems they've either under valued the 6p or flagships are over valued are my thoughts. One example is I owned the Moto Z Force. Aside from the obvious mods of course, I've not been able to tell performance wise and screen resolution wise real world difference that suggests the Z Force to be any better of a device other than the mods. I guess what I'm trying to grasp is to me the 6p seems very much to be on par with other flagships. If I'm wrong tell me as again I maybe totally off on my thoughts of that, but if it is basically on par with other flagships, why, would and how can they sell it roughly $300 cheaper if indeed it's on par with other flagships? If it's not flagship worthy, then I'm missing a huge factor.

You're right, the great thing about the 6p is the fact that it can still hold its own against a lot of current phones.

And when the pixel and 6p are both blank slates, there aren't any major performance differences. What I have noticed is that once both devices are fully loaded with all your crap, that's when the real performance difference is noticeable.

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I tested a Pixel XL at a Verizon store last week. It's wicked fast and has a really nice display. I have the 6p Aluminium on a Verizon UDP and IMHO, it just looks better than the Pixel XL. The Pixel XL is better spec-wise, but it has too much bezel going on and I don't like the 2-tone back.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
With the review I watched which was very detailed the Pixel seemed to be a very subtle tweak of the 6p with a spec here or there being slightly different then branded to be a flagship. My thoughts are if the 6p isn't flagship worthy then the Pixel really isn't either. There isn't enough difference in these two devices to support $150 let alone $300. It's all a ton of marketing hype and it's also bc it's now officially a Google phone with specs similar to slightly here and there not even noticeably real world better flagship so the value of $300 bucks is mostly bc it's an official device released directly from Google. Specs of the Pixel are not anywhere close to superior enough to justify $300 but in the end the market data does not lie and if it sells well then it's not bc it's $300 better than the 6p but rather bc it's a direct Google device and marketed as their flagship. I'm all about the latest and greatest spec wise marketing and a name as strong as Google makes the Pixel $700 plus in this case bc the 6p spec wise is just too similar overall. I guess when you are as big as Google you're able to out sell your closest and most comparable device by $300! Wow

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I remember when Android people made fun of "iSheep" people, for buying the latest and greatest, at ANY price. Now there are iGoogle people. If nobody buys the Pixels, the price will drop. It's that simple.:p

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
So I watched a detailed review on the Pixel XL. No doubt a nice device but please do tell me if I'm missing something major here to justify market value of the Pixel to be 300 dollars roughly more than the 6p. Okay the Pixel has one more gig of ram. Real world that's not much to tell. It has less speaker capacity. Specs cone out to be pretty close to the 6p overall and they of course have the same interface minus it having 7.1. Okay another plus for pixel. Updates quicker and for a longer time period. I'm still not seeing $300 market value difference yet. 6p has really everything one would expect from a flagship standpoint. So my question is are we seeing a loss of the powerful Nexus with flagship specs at a $399 value to be replaced by pixel which is almost twice the cost yet to get pretty much the same performance of the wonderful price of the 6p? I watched the entire review on YouTube. Is basically the 6p device tweaked a bit but since I value homes for a living and certify to data supported market value, how on earth can any data be found to support the almost $300 dollar value difference in these two devices? Unless im missing a major market speak upgrade, no data I've found or can compile would be supported on paper to substantiate such an increase on overall sales price of the Pixel XL to be that of almost double the 6p. As an appraiser when I value a home I select true comparable sales that are similar to my subject. The subject in this case is the 6p which one the marker value world you adjust to the comparable property to make it appear like the subject by extracting data from a sales analysis to derive an adjustment to get an adjusted value which is set off from its sells price or in this case the retail price of the Pixel. If you take this pixel retail and try to market adjust it to be like that of the 6p on paper, I cannot find any data that supports a $300 dollar superior to the 6p adjustment for it to have an adjusted overall sales price to almost double the 6p. I know it sounds odd but that's how you appraise property of any type. You take the comparable and adjust it by supported data to make it look as if it were the subject which in this case is the 6p. The pixel is an excellent comparable product so it's a valid comparable sale so to speak. If anyone is in the market value industry all this will make perfect sense. There is no data that suggests the Pixel to be almost double in value compared to the 6p.

Thoughts anyone?

I agree with you 100 percent.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

Again... You are correct.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

I fully agree with the both of you, as well with the original post.

I have held both phones, as I currently own the 6p, and there are many reasons to get the Pixel XL, however none of those reasons are good ones if you already have a 6p in good condition.

Google changed the name from Nexus (Clark Kent) to Pixel (Superman). Of course the specs are upgraded and a feature or two are added, for that happens EVERY year with EVERY device, EVERY appliance, EVERY automobile, etc., so to focus on that is what I call a "non-statement". Also, the fact that they will get updates for another year past the 6p is also obvious since it IS a year newer, so that is another "non-statement". These were the EXACT same statements that were made between the Nexus 6 and 6p just a year ago.

Anyhow, running my 6p with 7.1.1 next to the Pixel XL, the changes were so slight that most people would not even notice the difference, and for those that do, there is definitely NOT a $300 difference.

The marketing people have a job to do, and it is to make you buy this phone. The week (and even the day) before the Pixel devices came out, the reviews were still praising the 6p, but once the Pixel came out, all of a sudden, they are telling you to upgrade your perfectly working ONE YEAR OLD device that STILL has quite a few updates left. Is it (the Pixel XL) a great phone? Absolutely! Is it worth the upgrade if you already have a 6p? Absolutely NOT! If one has a Nexus 6, different story, but a Nexus 6p? Nope!!!

I know there will be many that will disagree, even giving what they feel are detailed rationalizations justifying such a purchase. There is no shame in wanting the latest and the greatest, however just admit it, and leave the emotional excuses at home. As adults, one is free to spend their hard-earned money as one pleases. No need to rationalize.

Rationalize = Rational Lies

They have convinced you that Clark Kent has left, and Superman is now here... And many people believe it and will defend it with everything they have.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
With the review I watched which was very detailed the Pixel seemed to be a very subtle tweak of the 6p with a spec here or there being slightly different then branded to be a flagship. My thoughts are if the 6p isn't flagship worthy then the Pixel really isn't either. There isn't enough difference in these two devices to support $150 let alone $300. It's all a ton of marketing hype and it's also bc it's now officially a Google phone with specs similar to slightly here and there not even noticeably real world better flagship so the value of $300 bucks is mostly bc it's an official device released directly from Google. Specs of the Pixel are not anywhere close to superior enough to justify $300 but in the end the market data does not lie and if it sells well then it's not bc it's $300 better than the 6p but rather bc it's a direct Google device and marketed as their flagship. I'm all about the latest and greatest spec wise marketing and a name as strong as Google makes the Pixel $700 plus in this case bc the 6p spec wise is just too similar overall. I guess when you are as big as Google you're able to out sell your closest and most comparable device by $300! Wow
The 6P was a flagship and was one of the best devices of 2015 and most of this year.

The things that the Pixel does better than the 6P:

Display, battery life, assistant, unlimited full res photos, RAM, processor, camera, security, VR, headphone audio, IP53 rating and will receive updates longer.

Things the 6P does better than the Pixel:

Speaker audio, price and zero bloatware when used with carrier SIM (as opposed to 3 easily uninstallable apps on the XL)

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

Man... We are speaking the SAME language! These are my EXACT thoughts!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol