having trouble setting up TWRP, completely new to rooting and tinkering with phones

livingmeme

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I just recently bought a nexus 6p with the hopes of installing copperhead OS on it. I have no idea what I'm doing so I figured this was the best way to learn. I'm following this guide, and relying on my google-fu when i hit a roadblock:

[GUIDE] Unlock/Root/Flash for Nexus 6P | Huawei Nexus 6P

I updated to the most recent version of android before I began, as per his instructions. The only problem is 7.0 has an issue with TWRP, so I tried to use the unofficial version he recommended (3.0.2-3), but the link doesn't work. I did some searching and apparently it has some issues and this guy recommended using 3.0.2 until it get's sorted out:

[RECOVERY][angler] TWRP 3.0.2-0 touch recove… | Huawei Nexus 6P

So I flashed it and tried to boot into recovery mode, and nothing... I thought it may be an issue with not having Supersu installed so I installed that, and reflashed it. Nothing. What's the issue?

please keep it pretty simple, I'm a lowly comp sci undergrad who has yet to discover the glories of android.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't read through the links that you provided yet - were you using a toolkit (ex. NRT) to handle unlocking the bootloader and flashing the new Recovery, or were you doing it manually?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately your first link is to a thread which is over 5,000 entries long; the second is over 1,300 entries long. I'm not going to read all of that to get up to speed.

Are you using the correct key sequence to get into Recovery?

livingmeme

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
lol sorry about that, I'll try to be more specific. I'm using just the first post from the first link as a roundabout guide to tinkering with my phone. I've managed to TWRP working, I just ignored his recommendation and downloaded 3.0.2-2 from the TWRP website. here:
https://dl.twrp.me/angler/

I've already rooted the phone, backed up the EFS and the stock system, advanced wipe and now I'm just trying to figure out how to install the custom rom, because the advice in the first link doesn't match the process listed on the copperheadOS website, and I would rather not brick my phone so I'm usure where to go from here.

https://copperhead.co/android/docs/install

in the first link they are using a .zip file, and in this one they are running a script. I put on my phone and tried to run it from there and I got permission denied, even though I was running as root. they have a zip file in the download page but apparently that's used for something later in the process.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
AHHH!!! OK... first, Copperhead is a super-secure fork of Android, so everything it does is with security in mind. From the looks, it does not use TWRP at all, but instead uses the same fastboot flash method that you use when flashing a factory image. Which makes sense since TWRP is a bit of a security risk. So Copperhead's install comes in the form of a bunch of img files that you have to load through the bootloader and not a custom recovery.So, what you need to do is download the ZIP on your computer and extract it... then connect your phone (like you did when you flashed TWRP), boot it into the bootloader screen THEN run the flash-all script on your computer, not the phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't downloaded the package myself, but the instructions seem to be showing a Linux command set - hopefully they've also included support for Windows-based systems.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Linux and Windows commands used are probably the same.... instead of ./flash-all.sh, it'll most likely be flash-all.bat, etc. the fastboot commands will be the same.

livingmeme

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
alright so I tried to do a factory reset and follow the instructions on the copperheados website. I still had twrp and root after the factory reset, though I don't think that was an issue.

I tried to install via the flash-all.sh, but after a few minutes of work it gave this error
W/ (4697): Zip: unable to allocate space for file to 1212319152: No space left on device
failed to extract 'system.img': I/O Error

any ideas as to why?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I didn't want to ACTUALLY load that OS, but I went through the steps up to unlocking the bootloader. It was a hassle finding a Windows app that would handle the package that they provide but 7Zip (http://www.7-zip.org) seemed to do the job.

And they do provide a Windows batch file (flash-all.bat) that should take care of everything, assuming that you've prepared the device by unlocking the bootloader.