Folks,

Back again. Bleeding 6P causing me grief AGAIN. It died last night randomly. Nowhere near low battery. When I plugged it in to charge it immediately came up with the charging indicator stating it was full. It then switched itself on and was useable for a small amount of time. It was noted that the flash light on it wasn't working at this time. Since then it seems to be in some sort of weird loop.

Plugged in via Mains Cable or USB
    When plugged in it displays the blinking red light as if it's completely dead. It will then randomly turn on. It appears to have reset itself and needs set up again. On start up however it boots up but then shows the battery indicator as having full battery. It will stay on for approximately 3-5 minutes then just shuts down with no warnings and without the normal shutdown procedure.

It boots up using the power button then continues the cycle of shutting down and eventually restarting on its own.
    I can manage to get into recovery mode when plugged in after a few attempts (I have completed a factory reset through this). It sits in recovery mode happily as long as it's plugged in.

If I power it off prior to it crashing it does power off. After it blinks red for about a minute it briefly shows a full battery as if fully charged whilst off and then powers itself back on.

UNPLUGGED
    When unplugged and trying to turn it on it just starts flashing the red light without turning on.
    Doesn't allow me to go into recovery mode.

It appears that the software thinks that it has full battery when actually the battery is dead therefore not being able to run even with power. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

I have no idea why it keeps restarting itself whilst charging.

May just buy a Oneplus however the camera is far too good on this.

Any suggestions or theories let me know.

Cheers,

Lewis
    12-07-2016 07:41 PM
    It could be a battery dendrite, which I believe is irreversible: Roots of the Lithium Battery Problem: Berkeley Lab Researchers Find Dendrites Start Below the Surface | Berkeley Lab

Is the phone still under warranty, or do you have Nexus Protect?
    12-07-2016 09:54 PM
    I have moved to Canada. The phone is still under warranty with my Carrier in the UK however with taxes for import/export it would end up costing me a heap to send it too and fro.

I was worried it was going to be the battery. Would have been fine if I was still in Vancouver as I found a company that services them. Unfortunately their closest store is 130km away from where I am now.

Nobody really services these phones.
    12-07-2016 10:24 PM
    Tricky situation. How long have you kept the phone plugged into a wall outlet, undisturbed? Let it charge for a whole day without trying to power it on, and see if that makes a difference.
    12-08-2016 09:54 AM
    Thanks for the reply folks.

I have eventually found someone to replace my battery. However the problem persists.

There are a few problems. The phone appears to being showing as charging on AC and 100% whether or not it's plugged in. This appears to be causing the issue as there isn't actually enough charge in the battery. This appears to be the problem that has been occurring with both batteries. Thereby ruling out a battery issue.

The guys at the repair shop suggested re-installing firmware, but they don't think this is the problem. No one has a clue really.

Do you the community have any ideas as to the problem?

A little update. I have managed to boot into Fastboot and it seems to happily sit there whilst connected to USB/Charger and not turn off due to low battery. If I unplug though it turns off.
    Is this pointing to a software problem?
    01-18-2017 04:43 PM
    Nope think it must be a hardware problem. Whilst in fastboot mode it is asking me to connect USB data cable. This is what is plugged into my PC.

I have had the charge port replaced. Do you think it could be this that is faulty and the chip thinks AC power is constantly connected?
    01-18-2017 05:45 PM