NBD91V security update

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I just received build NBD91V which brought my Verizon Nexus 6p to December 5, 2016 security level but kept the Android version at 7.0. I guess that is something at least.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Why does this feel like some kind of consolation prize? Thanks for playing with your 6P on Verizon, but you have been eliminated by the new Pixel from further play. Please accept this security update as a parting gift.

Also strange that this build does not appear in the factory images or OTA images on Google's site.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes I also got the December security update, but don't see it on the OTA page. Why?

That is the $1 million question. The whole thing is odd. It makes me wonder if this security update is just a quick place holder until the Official build is fixed for Verizon subscribers?

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon and I haven't even gotten that update. I don't think it's a Verizon thing. I think it's a 6p thing.

Graymonkey

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon and I haven't even gotten that update. I don't think it's a Verizon thing. I think it's a 6p thing.

I don't think it's a 6P thing. I think it's a Google thing. Pretty disappointed in Google. One of the main reasons why we bought a Nexus phone was for the timely updates. We haven't had regular updates in months.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's a 6P thing. I think it's a Google thing. Pretty disappointed in Google. One of the main reasons why we bought a Nexus phone was for the timely updates. We haven't had regular updates in months.

What update are you on? These things don't usually come out in a single day, they are staged over a couple of weeks.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

It is a Verizon thing when the official 7.1.1 build for the 6P specifically says "All carriers except Verizon" and Verizon subscribers get a small security update instead of 7.1.1.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Nov 5 update and 7.0.

Well if your on Verizon I can see why. For some reason their update was delayed. Also your still within that couple of week update period. These updates usually don't roll out until the first Monday. Which I think was the 6th or 7th of this month so it's been 12-13 days since the update was released.

Graymonkey

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Well if your on Verizon I can see why. For some reason their update was delayed. Also your still within that couple of week update period. These updates usually don't roll out until the first Monday. Which I think was the 6th or 7th of this month so it's been 12-13 days since the update was released.
Not on VZ, I'm on Project Fi. The first December updates (w/ 7.1.1) were on Monday the 5th. This is Tuesday the 19th so it's been just over 2 weeks. I got 7.0 via the beta program then unenrolled. I've only received 1 update since then. This is a Google problem. I'd guess either 1) they have a glitch in their system that has a hold on anyone who was on beta but has since unenrolled or 2) they have stopped caring about the Nexus phones since the introduced the Pixel lineup. Maybe it's a combination of both. I don't know. What I DO know is that I bought my 6P for 2 reasons. 1) I wanted to try Project Fi and 2) I wanted the "advertised" monthly updates since I was tired of getting VZ and/or Sprint updates once or twice a year.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Not on VZ, I'm on Project Fi. The first December updates (w/ 7.1.1) were on Monday the 5th. This is Tuesday the 19th so it's been just over 2 weeks. I got 7.0 via the beta program then unenrolled. I've only received 1 update since then. This is a Google problem. I'd guess either 1) they have a glitch in their system that has a hold on anyone who was on beta but has since unenrolled or 2) they have stopped caring about the Nexus phones since the introduced the Pixel lineup. Maybe it's a combination of both. I don't know. What I DO know is that I bought my 6P for 2 reasons. 1) I wanted to try Project Fi and 2) I wanted the "advertised" monthly updates since I was tired of getting VZ and/or Sprint updates once or twice a year.

There's still time left in the month. It's a staged rollout. Just because the updates started flowing out the 5th that doesn't mean you'll get them day one. Some months you get them early, and others it comes later. I would start to take issue with Google if it was Jan and you didn't have the update.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

The security patch is labeled for the 5th, but it never comes out that early in the month - usually closer to the 12th - 15th of the month.

And for Verizon users, there is an issue with 7.1.1 and Verizon's network. It's not a "Google problem" because other carriers are unaffected. Verizon's network has always been different than the other major carriers, and many custom ROMs for many different phones have different versions specifically for Verizon users. I'm not sure what caused the delay with 7.1.1 for Verizon but I'm sure Google is working to correct it.

Also, they definitely haven't "stopped caring about Nexus" - they're still updating the Nexus 6, which is older than the 6P. Google has much better product support than other companies, and if they truly stopped caring, they would have delayed the entire 7.1.1 update, not just for Verizon users.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
The security patch is labeled for the 5th, but it never comes out that early in the month - usually closer to the 12th - 15th of the month.

And for Verizon users, there is an issue with 7.1.1 and Verizon's network. It's not a "Google problem" because other carriers are unaffected. Verizon's network has always been different than the other major carriers, and many custom ROMs for many different phones have different versions specifically for Verizon users. I'm not sure what caused the delay with 7.1.1 for Verizon but I'm sure Google is working to correct it.

Also, they definitely haven't "stopped caring about Nexus" - they're still updating the Nexus 6, which is older than the 6P. Google has much better product support than other companies, and if they truly stopped caring, they would have delayed the entire 7.1.1 update, not just for Verizon users.

I received the update this morning, and I'm on Verizon.

Mochadog123

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Any news on this? I'm on VZ and I got the December 5th package but I'm still on 7.0

When's 7.1 or 7.1.1 coming out for us? I tried enrolling in the beta program and it said I enrolled but I never got the update :/

fredd17

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Both wife and I have the Nexus 6p on AT&T mine has all the current updates I'm on 7.1.1 with a security patch January 5th 2017 but my wife's hasn't received hers and she's still in 7.0 with the December 5th patch. I check for updates morning and night. We are not on the beta program. I'm wondering if there's something I need the check off/on in settings that might be stopping the update?

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Both wife and I have the Nexus 6p on AT&T mine has all the current updates I'm on 7.1.1 with a security patch January 5th 2017 but my wife's hasn't received hers and she's still in 7.0 with the December 5th patch. I check for updates morning and night. We are not on the beta program. I'm wondering if there's something I need the check off/on in settings that might be stopping the update?

I would enroll her phone in the beta program, get the 7.1.1 update and security patch, then immediately unenroll. Her phone will then be fine.

If you get the 7.1.1 update, but for some reason not the January security patch, still download the update, unenroll from the Beta program, then manually check for the January security patch. You should then receive it.

Last edited: