Should I update my nexus 6p to 7.1.1?

NOBEL21

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Hey! So I recently bought an Nexus 6p. I've read that Android nougout has a lot of problems especially the battery life. So I was wondering if I should update to 7.1.1. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Personally, I've had no issues with it. Battery life is a little better, if anything.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd also like to welcome you to Android Central. This is a great place for reliable information on Android devices. I'm not sure where you read about battery issues... I'm sure there have been one or two people have posted here, but people usually post when they are having issues... there are always one or two. But that is not the norm.

Like B. Diddy, I have not had any issues. Nexus devices are always great because they get the latest and greats first. Sometimes that can mean issues with one thing or another, but 7.1.1 has been very smooth upgrade/update. Do it!!!

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The camera is great but my battery has completely tanked since nougat. I ended up getting a one plus 3t. The 6p is great. I was just unable to get the battery to recover. And I was experiencing frequent reboots. I think most people have not had problems though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting -- I certainly have heard about the reboot issue, so I wonder if the two issues are connected.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey! So I recently bought an Nexus 6p. I've read that Android nougout has a lot of problems especially the battery life. So I was wondering if I should update to 7.1.1. Thanks.

Welcome to AndroidCentral NOBEL21!

It's got a higher number so it must be better right? ^_^ Well, not always but this time around i think it is. Dose has been fairly improved and i feel the battery life on devices should improve. BUT, i always say to people, if you are happy with how your device is performing them why upgrade?

EDIT: Just read your other comments. Good to hear is working better and faster!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal for the Android OS and Android system to take up 30% of the battery

That in itself is not unusual. If the battery life is normal, then I wouldn't worry about it. OS and System encompass lots of things, which can also be utilized by 3rd party apps.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is it normal for the Android OS and Android system to take up 30% of the battery

In Android Nougat, the individual apps and services in use by the OS aren't listed, they're just thrown together under one "category" in the battery drain info screen. So that includes everything being used by the system itself (excluding the screen) and that seems to be pretty typical. A better gauge is to use the phone for a few days and see how the battery life holds up.

I do recommend doing a wipe of the cache partition after a system update, but it's optional. I haven't had any issues that weren't cleared up by a reboot or a cache wipe, and the issues have been very few and very far between.

NOBEL21

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
In Android Nougat, the individual apps and services in use by the OS aren't listed, they're just thrown together under one "category" in the battery drain info screen. So that includes everything being used by the system itself (excluding the screen) and that seems to be pretty typical. A better gauge is to use the phone for a few days and see how the battery life holds up.

I do recommend doing a wipe of the cache partition after a system update, but it's optional. I haven't had any issues that weren't cleared up by a reboot or a cache wipe, and the issues have been very few and very far between.

Thanks everyone for the information. I just wanted to note that the 7.1.1 update with January security update works great. If I run into battery issues I'll just wipe the system cache. 😊

spongebob71

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
One thing I found when I updated to Nougat on my 6P is that I lose network randomly. I've posted this on the google support pages and a number of others have said the same thing. Happened only after updating to 7.0 onward. I'm currently on 7.1.1

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the Android forums.. Camera is great, we now have manual White balance settings and an EV (exposure) slider, but sadly.. No ISO or shutter speed yet...

Ive just unboxed my 128GB one today.. and as of yet had no battery / reboot issues, but ill let you know.. There is a thread on XDA about these reboots and crashes.. but apparently they are affecting the Pixel as well.. so we will see if Google addess it in the next monthly rollout :), However, enjoy your 6P and dont worry about it crashing rebooting.. as it can ruin your new phone enjoyment.. :)

Enjoy :)