Project Fi and 6P; should I be encouraged?

ChipperD17

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
I recently ordered the Nexus 6p via Google's Project Fi program. It's scheduled to ship in the next day or so. I'll be using it on PF's network service, at least for the next several months. That said, I've got two questions for anyone in the know; the first being PF's (current) carrier service quality. I realize that's a rather complicated question with a number of variables, not the least of which would be your location and its impact on reliable coverage. From what I've heard, all-in-all, it don't suck.

My other question's in relation the the 6P and its overall quality and performance and if known, how long it will continue to be supported by Google (well into 2017?). This will be my first smartphone (newbie here!) and having wrestled between this model, the overpriced Pixel or Pixel XL along with a few other brands including the OnePlus 3T. In the end, I've decided to take my first leap using the 6P... any thoughts?

ChipperD17

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Don't know yet. A majority of time will be off network as I'll be on mostly Wi-Fi at home, work, etc. I'm guessing it will be quite low in terms of the amount that's used on Project Fi. That's one of the reasons I'm opting for PF and not going with any of the large service providers, non of which seem to offer limited data use plans that would price out as low as what I'd pay at PF ($10/GB). It may be as low as 1GB to 2GB. Guess I'll find out here very soon.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You can look at the coverage maps for T-Mobile and Sprint (along with one smaller provider that I can't remember ATM) and get a fair idea of what you're getting into. But really, you'll find out in the first week or two what YOUR experience will be like.

I was completely satisfied with the coverage/service that I received (for both data and voice) but ended up leaving Fi when my data usage started to rise above 2GB/month.

I'm currently using the 6P on Verizon and am still happy with its performance and battery life. YMMV.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
have been on Fi for almost a year. used to be with verizon. i can definitely tell the difference in quality when im indoors like a mall, very slow internet, but considering that for 2 people my bill is less than $55. i can deal with it. most of the time im on T-Mobile. i have traveled overseas a few times and it worked awesome.
i first had the 5x then switched to 6p. i love this thing! i hope it never dies.

TrackFan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been on Fi using my 6P since around September. I live in the SF Bay Area and coverage is no worse than it was when I used AT&T. AT&T has broader coverage in some of the rural areas I go to but it's not a factor for me. I also traveled to Norway in that time and using my phone was seamless. Great coverage all over Norway. I also like the seamless wifi calling. Where I work we have to keep our phones on airplane mode but can use wifi. My phone calls (received or sent) doesn't skip a beat and I don't have to do anything special to get it to work.
I don't use a lot of data and have had a monthly bill as low as $27 while the biggest was $33. If you MUST read every facetweet immediately and love to look at kittykat videos at a moments notice then stay away from Fi. I keep my data turned OFF and turn it on to complete whatever small task I have then back OFF it goes. Some people can't operate like that.

ChipperD17

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
I live in a major suburban area with plenty of carriers and coverage. Sounding like PF's going to work out just fine for the time being. Glad to hear your 6P's wearing well. Mine's on the way!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
"I love this thing!" Love to hear that. Feeling real encouraged right about now!
I have used 6p and PF for about a year. My bill used to be around $27 every month. Crazy I know. I was on wifi most of the time at home and at work. Using around 400mb a month.

Unfortunately, I went back to Verizon just because of lack of phone options on PF. I was getting tired of Nexus phones. Had Nexus 6, 5x, and 6p.

I was able to move back to Version on Coral Blue S7 Edge. Got it on black Friday for an amazing deal. This phone looks amazing and works amazing. A complete package IMHO. I am now waiting for Note 8. It's going to be a beast of a phone.

If PF was supported on Samsung phones, I would have not left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair