Google takes no responsibility if OS updates cause Nexus 6P devices to randomly power off

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Like many of you, I've experienced the same issues with my Nexus 6P shutting off when the battery gets to around 15% which began happening as soon as I installed 7.0. I bought my device from Best Buy. I called Google. Google blamed Huawei and wouldn't help me. I called Huawei. Huawei blamed Google.

My device was under warranty so Huawei sent me several RMA's. Every RMA came back with 7.0 (the device originally came with 6.0) and had the same issue with the phone shutting off early while the battery still showed a charge. After two months of this nonsense Huawei finally sent me a new Nexus 6P. The new device came with 6.0 and doesn't shut off prematurely.

I called Google yesterday and told them I have a brand new Nexus 6P and will be out of warranty this month. I asked if they recommend I install 7.1.1. The rep replied that I should install it so I can enjoy all the wonderful benefits. I then asked what if after installing 7.1.1, I experience my phone shutting off when the battery gets to 15%? Will Google provide me with any type of recourse and either repair or replace my device? The rep replied no they will absolutely not and instead they will refer me to Huawei.

I reiterated that I have a brand new device with 6.0 installed that works perfectly. I said if I install 7.1.1 and my phone begins shutting off with 15% battery life left, it would clearly show that Google / 7.1.1 is the cause. I again asked if Google would provide me with any type of recourse in the event this happens. The rep once again stated that there is nothing Google will do for me.

Given my experience and Google's reply, I'm selling my brand new Aluminum 128 GB Nexus 6P. Google has shown me that they are perfectly fine ruining their customers devices and not holding themselves accountable and instead screwing over their customers.

Time to give Apple a chance. At least their hardware and software are all made under one company so there won't be any finger pointing and blame if my device needs a repair. Their store is five minutes from my house so I won't have to package my device, take it to the post office, and wait two weeks to get it back.

Good luck to the rest of you who are still experiencing issues and are not getting a satisfactory resolution.

nomzamo999

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Same old, same old. I remember a few years ago my wife & daughter both had Samsung Galaxy S3 phones. They were perfectly fine under Android 4.2, but when the update to 4.3 dropped, both phones were left completely broken. My wife got rid of hers, and my daughter only kept hers because I found a really good custom ROM to put on it. Whenever Google releases an update, I'm always reminded of the great Mork & Mindy eggs scene: "Fly, and be free!" Once the updates are out in the world, they're free to fly (or smash on the counter top).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
One of the nice things about Nexus devices is that the factory images are out there, as well as instructions to revert to the older versions if you decide the new one isn't right for you.

Not to defend Google's lack of attention to the issue, is your usage such that you can't possibly give the phone a top-off or give it a charge boost so you don't get that low? It's actually detrimental to the long-term life of the battery to constantly drain the battery. While 15% may not quite be getting to that point, it sounds like if the phone wasn't shutting off you'd be going lower than that.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
One of the nice things about Nexus devices is that the factory images are out there, as well as instructions to revert to the older versions if you decide the new one isn't right for you.

Not to defend Google's lack of attention to the issue, is your usage such that you can't possibly give the phone a top-off or give it a charge boost so you don't get that low? It's actually detrimental to the long-term life of the battery to constantly drain the battery. While 15% may not quite be getting to that point, it sounds like if the phone wasn't shutting off you'd be going lower than that.

I didn't "decide" that the new version isn't right for me. We all want the new version because it comes with new features and improvements. The new version caused my phone to randomly shut off before the battery was fully drained.

As for my usage and your suggestion, I can technically keep it plugged in all day and not in my pocket and go back and forth to check it periodically. Or I can charge it at some point in the middle of the day and be without it for an hour and a half. Obviously these options are not practical.

I don't buy a phone in order to optimize the life of the battery or be consumed thinking about battery life. I buy a phone in order to use as I normally would. Since devices with non-replaceable batteries are the new trend, battery life should not degrade so substantially under normal usage that it requires you to do these things.

More to the point, if the battery shows that it has a certain amount of charge left, it shouldn't just randomly shut off. Not only is it very annoying and frustrating, it could potentially lead to a dangerous situation if you are somewhere that you can't charge your phone, and need the extra 15% in case of an emergency.

Further, when it gets to 15% it gives you the option to go into battery saving mode. Unfortunately, in my case, I didn't get that option because my phone would just shut off.

I appreciate your suggestions and work around, but at the end of the day, thousands of Nexus 6P owners have been experiencing these issues since 7.0 was released. Google has completely ignored the issue, and worse, told me directly that they will not provide me with any repair, replacement, or recourse if I update my new device to 7.1.1 and it causes the same issues.

Unacceptable.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Same old, same old. I remember a few years ago my wife & daughter both had Samsung Galaxy S3 phones. They were perfectly fine under Android 4.2, but when the update to 4.3 dropped, both phones were left completely broken. My wife got rid of hers, and my daughter only kept hers because I found a really good custom ROM to put on it. Whenever Google releases an update, I'm always reminded of the great Mork & Mindy eggs scene: "Fly, and be free!" Once the updates are out in the world, they're free to fly (or smash on the counter top).

Unfortunately in my case, as in your wife and daughters cases, they smashed into the countertop. At a couple of dollars per dozen eggs, I could live with that. At $650 for a flagship Android, it's unacceptable.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Like many of you, I've experienced the same issues with my Nexus 6P shutting off when the battery gets to around 15% which began happening as soon as I installed 7.0. I bought my device from Best Buy. I called Google. Google blamed Huawei and wouldn't help me. I called Huawei. Huawei blamed Google.

My device was under warranty so Huawei sent me several RMA's. Every RMA came back with 7.0 (the device originally came with 6.0) and had the same issue with the phone shutting off early while the battery still showed a charge. After two months of this nonsense Huawei finally sent me a new Nexus 6P. The new device came with 6.0 and doesn't shut off prematurely.

I called Google yesterday and told them I have a brand new Nexus 6P and will be out of warranty this month. I asked if they recommend I install 7.1.1. The rep replied that I should install it so I can enjoy all the wonderful benefits. I then asked what if after installing 7.1.1, I experience my phone shutting off when the battery gets to 15%? Will Google provide me with any type of recourse and either repair or replace my device? The rep replied no they will absolutely not and instead they will refer me to Huawei.

I reiterated that I have a brand new device with 6.0 installed that works perfectly. I said if I install 7.1.1 and my phone begins shutting off with 15% battery life left, it would clearly show that Google / 7.1.1 is the cause. I again asked if Google would provide me with any type of recourse in the event this happens. The rep once again stated that there is nothing Google will do for me.

Given my experience and Google's reply, I'm selling my brand new Aluminum 128 GB Nexus 6P. Google has shown me that they are perfectly fine ruining their customers devices and not holding themselves accountable and instead screwing over their customers.

Time to give Apple a chance. At least their hardware and software are all made under one company so there won't be any finger pointing and blame if my device needs a repair. Their store is five minutes from my house so I won't have to package my device, take it to the post office, and wait two weeks to get it back.

Good luck to the rest of you who are still experiencing issues and are not getting a satisfactory resolution.

That's what I did. I got the 7 plus last week.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the same early shut off issue starting in October or November last year. I never thought to associate it with one version of Android or another. I purchased my 6p directly from Google, and I was still within a year of the purchase date. When I contacted Google about the issue they immediately did an RMA and sent me a refurbished 6p, and the refurb has worked flawlessly since then. I'm now on 7.1.1 with the February security patch. Just yesterday I ran it down to single digits (I rarely do that, but I do test it occasionally).

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Google can't help unless you purchased it from them. Huawei will replace it under warranty.

Google can help by coming up with a fix to this issue, as they do with numerous other issues. Google can help by supporting all of their customers who purchased their device, not just the ones who purchased their device directly from Google. Google can help by standing behind their products and software and taking care of all of their customers. Google can help. Google chooses not to help.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google can help by coming up with a fix to this issue, as they do with numerous other issues. Google can help by supporting all of their customers who purchased their device, not just the ones who purchased their device directly from Google. Google can help by standing behind their products and software and taking care of all of their customers. Google can help. Google chooses not to help.

They are supporting their software, this just hasn't been isolated and a fix rolled out yet. As for the rest of it, Google is bound by the same terms they've been bound by with Nexus products for years: if you bought from the Google store, they're allowed to do RMA and to initiate warranty processes on behalf of the OEM. Otherwise, like all other Android devices, the point of contact is first the seller, if within their return/exchange period, then the OEM for warranty support or paid repairs outside of the warranty period. Google is not the OEM on Nexus devices, that's Huawei for the 6P, LG for the 5X, Moto for the 6, etc. Would you expect Google to be able to warranty exchange a Galaxy S6?

As for their "choosing not to help" ... their options and their role in these procedures is made explicitly clear in the literature on their site, including TOS, etc. If Google steps outside of that process, they a) aren't going to be reimbursed by the OEM (Huawei) b) are in breach of contract and can face consequences for that, and c) are being irresponsible to shareholders (due to both a and b).

It's not what people want to hear, but the process is the process and has been that way for years. They're bound by it the exact same way that Huawei and LG are and the same way that those who purchased the devices are. The sole recourse of those who feel that process is unfair, etc is to go through arbitration/litigation. But it's probably easier, cheaper and faster just to get it replaced or repaired through warranty by Huawei.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
They are supporting their software, this just hasn't been isolated and a fix rolled out yet. As for the rest of it, Google is bound by the same terms they've been bound by with Nexus products for years: if you bought from the Google store, they're allowed to do RMA and to initiate warranty processes on behalf of the OEM. Otherwise, like all other Android devices, the point of contact is first the seller, if within their return/exchange period, then the OEM for warranty support or paid repairs outside of the warranty period. Google is not the OEM on Nexus devices, that's Huawei for the 6P, LG for the 5X, Moto for the 6, etc. Would you expect Google to be able to warranty exchange a Galaxy S6?

As for their "choosing not to help" ... their options and their role in these procedures is made explicitly clear in the literature on their site, including TOS, etc. If Google steps outside of that process, they a) aren't going to be reimbursed by the OEM (Huawei) b) are in breach of contract and can face consequences for that, and c) are being irresponsible to shareholders (due to both a and b).

It's not what people want to hear, but the process is the process and has been that way for years. They're bound by it the exact same way that Huawei and LG are and the same way that those who purchased the devices are. The sole recourse of those who feel that process is unfair, etc is to go through arbitration/litigation. But it's probably easier, cheaper and faster just to get it replaced or repaired through warranty by Huawei.

Hasn't been isolated as a fix yet with thousands of complaints and it's been over four months. If you were a betting man would you bet that they are going to come out with a fix for the Nexus 6P?

Most people have had point of contact with the seller. The seller (Huawei) claims Google is at fault, which has been proven by thousands of cases including mine. In many cases they've done nothing to repair or replace devices. So unfortunately, it's not faster and easier to go through the seller.

Why should Google be reimbursed by Huawei if Google caused the issue? You talk about doing right by the shareholders, but what about doing right by their most valuable entity... their customers? You know, the ones to actually spent hundreds of dollars and bought their flagship device and are directly affected by it with a device they can't rely on and doesn't work right?

Since Google had a business partnership with Huawei and Huawei is handling it in this fashion, Google should bear at least part of the responsibility to make things right by their customers and not leave a bitter taste and their mouth. In fact they should bear more than part of the responsibility since their software is what has caused this issue.

As my initial post explained, I contacted Google to explain that my warranty with Huawei is about to expire and ask if I were to download 7.1.1 and their OS once again causes my device to experience excessive battery drain and randomly shut off, would Google offer me any type of repair replacement or recourse? Would they take responsibility for their OS causing my device to not work properly? Their answer was simply no they will not.

You asked if I would expect Google to warranty exchange my Galaxy S6 if their OS update caused my device to not work properly, and I was out of warranty with Samsung? Absolutely. Or fix the issue with a software update. They've done neither. But it's okay because who cares about the customers right? As long as the shareholders are happy. Great business model.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I think it's not right if Google or Huawei accept no responsibility on a phone that is only a year & half old :-\ They should go the extra mile & make sure that those consumers that bought the 6p for $500, $600 plus get a phone that works for more then a year & a half without these kind of issues.

Last edited:

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It is the nature of Android and Google in general... akin to perpetual beta. Sticking with Nexus devices I have been pretty lucky (had all kinds of minor issues with Motos). Apple is a way to avoid it... not to say they have never had issues, but they seem to address them in a more timely manner when they crop up.

I have considered going back to Apple a number of times, but with the whole Pixel thing it seems Google is interested in adopting a more Apple-esque model, and taking more responsibility for the end user experience. With that said, I have always bought from Google and they have so far done right by me (short of the continually nagging little bugs).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hasn't been isolated as a fix yet with thousands of complaints and it's been over four months. If you were a betting man would you bet that they are going to come out with a fix for the Nexus 6P?

Most people have had point of contact with the seller. The seller (Huawei) claims Google is at fault, which has been proven by thousands of cases including mine. In many cases they've done nothing to repair or replace devices. So unfortunately, it's not faster and easier to go through the seller.

Why should Google be reimbursed by Huawei if Google caused the issue? You talk about doing right by the shareholders, but what about doing right by their most valuable entity... their customers? You know, the ones to actually spent hundreds of dollars and bought their flagship device and are directly affected by it with a device they can't rely on and doesn't work right?

Since Google had a business partnership with Huawei and Huawei is handling it in this fashion, Google should bear at least part of the responsibility to make things right by their customers and not leave a bitter taste and their mouth. In fact they should bear more than part of the responsibility since their software is what has caused this issue.

As my initial post explained, I contacted Google to explain that my warranty with Huawei is about to expire and ask if I were to download 7.1.1 and their OS once again causes my device to experience excessive battery drain and randomly shut off, would Google offer me any type of repair replacement or recourse? Would they take responsibility for their OS causing my device to not work properly? Their answer was simply no they will not.

You asked if I would expect Google to warranty exchange my Galaxy S6 if their OS update caused my device to not work properly, and I was out of warranty with Samsung? Absolutely. Or fix the issue with a software update. They've done neither. But it's okay because who cares about the customers right? As long as the shareholders are happy. Great business model.

(Trying to do this in the same paragraph order you have)

I would bet that it will be fixed, yes.

The seller, Huawei, can claim the issue is Google's fault, but that doesn't alleviate them (Huawei) of the responsibility of warranty support. It's not only faster and easier to go through the seller or OEM, it's the only possible route.

If Google were to replace the device having sold it through the Google Store and then processed a return or exchange, then Huawei would reimburse them for the device. That's standard process and it is the only reason that Google is able to provide support for Nexus devices sold through their store. It's also the reason they can't support devices (in that way) that they didn't sell.

Google's relationship with Huawei is the exact reason that they can't just make things up as they go along. Huawei has the obligation to replace the device if Huawei agrees that it is an issue covered by their warranty terms. If they do not, they can repair it at cost to the consumer, etc. They have options; Google does not.

Google was correct in their response, given the reasoning that I've been trying to explain. The simple fact here is that you've attributed the issue to Google, not proven that it's their fault and regardless of whether or not it was their fault, the process would still require you to work through the OEM unless you purchased the device directly through Google.

This last paragraph is why I say you are incorrectly attributing the issue to Google. Google has almost nothing to do with a software update pushed by Samsung, and therefore cannot be at fault in that case - that's the reason I chose a third party OEM with their own custom software. In that case, the first point of contact would be whomever you bought the phone from, carrier, best buy, etc. and then it would be Samsung and the buck stops there, because they are the OEM and the official owner of the warranty process and terms. So the process starts with seller then goes to OEM. That process is mirrored in every facet of this, because it's the same in your case as in that case. Seller, then OEM. Google is neither in your case; your case is Best Buy, then Huawei. Talk to Best Buy first, and if they can't help, then talk to Huawei. Contacting Google is only increasing your frustration, because, as explained earlier, Google has absolutely no power to step in here as you are not their customer in this case. You are a user of the Android platform on a Huawei phone sold by Best Buy. They can no better support you on this claim than they could on a Kindle Fire sold by Target. They're simply just not a step in the ladder.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
On a Pixel, Google is the OEM. Step 1 is the seller (Verizon, Best Buy, another carrier, or Google themselves) and Step 2 is Google.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

One fault with this facet of your argument. While Google may be responsible for the core OS, Samsung is ultimately responsible for the OS that gets deployed to customer devices. Google is not involved in the final certification for release, if there is a problem with the OS, it should fall 100% on Samsung.

So, yes, Google may be responsible for the 6P if it's a software issue. I see the battery drain/early shut off issue in the same light as the bootloop issue - some devices have it, others don't. You might check the warranty terms, any replacement due to software issues may end up being in good faith.

Here's the warranty page for Huawei: Huawei - Support - Phone and Tablet

Here's where I think your argument has a sticking point:

8. Huawei does not warrant that the operation of this product will be uninterrupted or error-free.

I'm not trying to defend the actions of Huawei or Google, just pointing out language that may interfere with a winning argument on your side. Google's warranty page for the 6P points to Huawei's page for detailed warranty info.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
(Trying to do this in the same paragraph order you have)

I would bet that it will be fixed, yes.

The seller, Huawei, can claim the issue is Google's fault, but that doesn't alleviate them (Huawei) of the responsibility of warranty support. It's not only faster and easier to go through the seller or OEM, it's the only possible route.

If Google were to replace the device having sold it through the Google Store and then processed a return or exchange, then Huawei would reimburse them for the device. That's standard process and it is the only reason that Google is able to provide support for Nexus devices sold through their store. It's also the reason they can't support devices (in that way) that they didn't sell.

Google's relationship with Huawei is the exact reason that they can't just make things up as they go along. Huawei has the obligation to replace the device if Huawei agrees that it is an issue covered by their warranty terms. If they do not, they can repair it at cost to the consumer, etc. They have options; Google does not.

Google was correct in their response, given the reasoning that I've been trying to explain. The simple fact here is that you've attributed the issue to Google, not proven that it's their fault and regardless of whether or not it was their fault, the process would still require you to work through the OEM unless you purchased the device directly through Google.

This last paragraph is why I say you are incorrectly attributing the issue to Google. Google has almost nothing to do with a software update pushed by Samsung, and therefore cannot be at fault in that case - that's the reason I chose a third party OEM with their own custom software. In that case, the first point of contact would be whomever you bought the phone from, carrier, best buy, etc. and then it would be Samsung and the buck stops there, because they are the OEM and the official owner of the warranty process and terms. So the process starts with seller then goes to OEM. That process is mirrored in every facet of this, because it's the same in your case as in that case. Seller, then OEM. Google is neither in your case; your case is Best Buy, then Huawei. Talk to Best Buy first, and if they can't help, then talk to Huawei. Contacting Google is only increasing your frustration, because, as explained earlier, Google has absolutely no power to step in here as you are not their customer in this case. You are a user of the Android platform on a Huawei phone sold by Best Buy. They can no better support you on this claim than they could on a Kindle Fire sold by Target. They're simply just not a step in the ladder.

With all due respect, after reading your reply I'm wondering if you actually read my original post. I already went through Huawei. Excerpt from original post:

The following two paragraphs describe my concern and disappointment with Google. This is the third time I'm explaining it. Once again, excerpt from my original post:

For you to state that Google is correct in their stance and should not take responsibility for ruining my device immediately upon downloading their latest OS version is completely irrational.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect, after reading your reply I'm wondering if you actually read my original post. I already went through Huawei. Excerpt from original post:

The following two paragraphs describe my concern and disappointment with Google. This is the third time I'm explaining it. Once again, excerpt from my original post:

For you to state that Google is correct in their stance and should not take responsibility for ruining my device immediately upon downloading their latest OS version is completely irrational.
My fault, I was trying to help you understand the gap in your expectations compared to the actual process. If that's not needed, carry on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad