Google takes no responsibility if OS updates cause Nexus 6P devices to randomly power off

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting this issue now and it doesn't even wait til it gets to 15% half the time. Yesterday it shut down at 39%! It's been way over 4 months now and this issue should have definitely been fixed!

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting this issue now and it doesn't even wait til it gets to 15% half the time. Yesterday it shut down at 39%! It's been way over 4 months now and this issue should have definitely been fixed!

I have had my phone turn off around 57%. And you can not start it back up until you plug it into a charger.

This OS update has rendered my phone unusable. I really wish I would have been traded out into a pixel when everyone else was, back when my bluetooth and cell signal issues were the main cause of annoyance.

Just ended my long chat with Google Support, and they obviously refused to help and directed me to Huawei's phone support.

Apple recognized their problems and offered people a cheap repair. Google has pretty much ruined my faith in their products. I have been one of the last remaining Google fanboi's in my sphere of influence. As much as I would hate to go back on my word, I really don't appreciate Google's lack of support. They broke a phone and refuse to fix it.

dtibodo

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Nexus 6P. It became pretty much unusable after the 8.0 update (or maybe 8.1.0). At first, the phone was shutting down when at 15% battery. Then, it got weird and started to shut down quicker... around 50%. Lately, it's been shutting down for whatever reason, even when around 70+% battery left.

Sometimes, I just wait a couple minutes and turn it on again with around 50% battery left, sometimes lower, other times near 15% or less. With a full charge, it does not last more than a couple hours... about 2 maybe, sometimes less than that and it start acting weird again.

It's sad really, cause I loved my Nexus 6P and since this is a company phone and our plan ends in June, there's not much I can do about it but wait for my new phone. I'm currently switching with a Nexus 5X, but it's a bit on the slow side compared to my 6P.

acortes61

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Google can help by coming up with a fix to this issue, as they do with numerous other issues. Google can help by supporting all of their customers who purchased their device, not just the ones who purchased their device directly from Google. Google can help by standing behind their products and software and taking care of all of their customers. Google can help. Google chooses not to help.

That's the best answer I have read!

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Now seems like a good time to revisit this thread. This is what happens when Google takes no resposibility for their part in the Nexus 6P rapid battery drain, random shut-off, and boot loop issues. Google could have made things right by coming up with a fix or doing a recall, instead of ignoring their customers. Google and Huawei attorneys probably read your posts and figured they were in the clear. Luckily for Nexus 6P owners like myself, justice prevailed.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/06/08/nexus-6p-class-action-file-claim/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5go...oogle-huawei-nexus-6p-lawsuit-settlement/amp/

http://www.nexus6psettlement.com/

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google is probably settling the claim because it's cheaper than fighting it even if they win.

There are two reasons you can be having that "shut off at 15%" problem that they don't tell you about (no phone manufacturer does).

1. Lithium ion batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. They perform best between 50% and 100% (or as near to 100% as you care to get them - if the charger [the circuit in the phone, the thing you plug into the wall is just a power supply] fails to shut off after the battery reaches 100% charge, the battery could be damaged). Dropping the battery to 15% regularly will kill it quickly. (See the text at Figure 4 and the text and graph at Figure 5 at https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharge_characteristics_li and Table 2 at https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries)
  2. Lithium batteries develop dendrites (see Lithium Battery Dendrite links) which can cause a battery to momentarily (long enough to cause the phone to shut off) fail, but show 85% or more charge immediately after that.

We keep demanding thinner and lighter phones and the only way of doing that, as far as the battery goes, is with lithium batteries. They're not the best choice technically, but you don't want to carry a 2 pound Gel cell battery with you to power your phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Now seems like a good time to revisit this thread. This is what happens when Google takes no resposibility for their part in the Nexus 6P rapid battery drain, random shut-off, and boot loop issues. Google could have made things right by coming up with a fix or doing a recall, instead of ignoring their customers. Google and Huawei attorneys probably read your posts and figured they were in the clear. Luckily for Nexus 6P owners like myself, justice prevailed.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/06/08/nexus-6p-class-action-file-claim/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5go...oogle-huawei-nexus-6p-lawsuit-settlement/amp/

http://www.nexus6psettlement.com/
Google gave Pixels as replacements awhile ago for people with battery problems. The settlement is pretty good considering the age of the device at this point.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Google gave Pixels as replacements awhile ago for people with battery problems. The settlement is pretty good considering the age of the device at this point.

Google only gave Pixels as replacements if the Nexus 6P was purchased through the Google store. If the Nexus 6P was purchased anywhere else (e.g. Best Buy, B&H, Newegg), Google did absolutely nothing. Completely cherry-picked customers who purchased from their store and took care of them, while telling the rest of the customers who purchased elsewhere to call Huawei. Huawei then referred those customers back to Google. I was one of those customers who purchased elsewhere, so I have first-hand experience of how Google and Huawei mishandled this disaster. Neither took responsibility and now they are forced to pay out almost 10 million dollars.

I wonder what happened to Aquila? Every time I posted in this thread, he would reply within minutes, as if he was an attorney in a courtroom, trying to refute the facts. He was sure Google would come up with a fix. He was sure Google would make things right. He was sure Google was not responsible. Maybe he's busy in other threads trying to defend Google with the Pixel class action lawsuit. Oh wait, that can't be the case - Google lost that class action suit as well and has to pay out $7,250,000 to Pixel owners and attorneys (in addition to the $9,750,000 Google has to pay to Nexus 6P owners of attorneys).

Google chooses not to take responsibility for OS updates or defective hardware that that ruin their customer's smartphones and deal with class action lawsuit after class action lawsuit and pay out almost 20 million dollars, instead of building trust and loyalty with their customers by fixing issues or making things right. Their Pixel sales are at least a partial a reflection of their business practice. Not the greatest business model to say the least.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Google only gave Pixels as replacements if the Nexus 6P was purchased through the Google store. If the Nexus 6P was purchased anywhere else (e.g. Best Buy, B&H, Newegg), Google did absolutely nothing. Completely cherry-picked customers who purchased from their store and took care of them, while telling the rest of the customers who purchased elsewhere to call Huawei. Huawei then referred those customers back to Google. I was one of those customers who purchased elsewhere, so I have first-hand experience of how Google and Huawei mishandled this disaster. Neither took responsibility and now they are forced to pay out almost 10 million dollars.

I wonder what happened to Aquila? Every time I posted in this thread, he would reply within minutes, as if he was an attorney in a courtroom, trying to refute the facts. He was sure Google would come up with a fix. He was sure Google would make things right. He was sure Google was not responsible. Maybe he's busy in other threads trying to defend Google with the Pixel class action lawsuit. Oh wait, that can't be the case - Google lost that class action suit as well and has to pay out $7,250,000 to Pixel owners and attorneys (in addition to the $9,750,000 Google has to pay to Nexus 6P owners of attorneys).

Google chooses not to take responsibility for OS updates or defective hardware that that ruin their customer's smartphones and deal with class action lawsuit after class action lawsuit and pay out almost 20 million dollars, instead of building trust and loyalty with their customers by fixing issues or making things right. Their Pixel sales are at least a partial a reflection of their business practice. Not the greatest business model to say the least.
I can't vouch for Bestbuy or any of the vendors you mentioned but I know someone who purchased through Verizon and they made good on theirs.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I can't vouch for Bestbuy or any of the vendors you mentioned but I know someone who purchased through Verizon and they made good on theirs.

I'm glad your friend was taken care of. Maybe they took care of Verizon customers since Google and Verizon had an exclusive agreement. Or maybe Verizon and not Google upgraded your friend to a Pixel.

Regardless, the class action lawsuit forcing Google to pay almost 10 million dollars to Nexus 6P owners shows that cherry-picking Google store and Verizon customers doesn't excuse Google shunning thousands of customers who purchased their Nexus 6P devices elsewhere.

Last edited:

St0rmykev

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Just filed my claim this afternoon. Personally I don’t think the settlement is good enough considering the massive headache this caused at the time this happened to me. I will say though I wasn’t expecting really anything to come from the lawsuit so I’m surprised I’m getting what I’m getting. Certainly is better than nothing. This still stands as the only phone that I’ve ever owned that has become a shiny brick and it only lasted a year and 3 months. Not going to go into a profanity laced rant and get worked up over it, because it’s a thing of the past, but I will say that’s pretty pathetic for what was considered a premium phone from Google at the time.

No doubt Google and Huawei could have handled this whole situation better. Especially Google considering the next step for them was to launch the pixel line right after this phone. If Google had handled this differently, I have no doubt that I would be rocking a Pixel phone vs the One Plus 6T I have now. This was my first and only experience with a Google smartphone, and it’s that experience that will keep me from buying any pixel phone now or in the future.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Just filed my claim this afternoon. Personally I don’t think the settlement is good enough considering the massive headache this caused at the time this happened to me. I will say though I wasn’t expecting really anything to come from the lawsuit so I’m surprised I’m getting what I’m getting. Certainly is better than nothing. This still stands as the only phone that I’ve ever owned that has become a shiny brick and it only lasted a year and 3 months. Not going to go into a profanity laced rant and get worked up over it, because it’s a thing of the past, but I will say that’s pretty pathetic for what was considered a premium phone from Google at the time.

No doubt Google and Huawei could have handled this whole situation better. Especially Google considering the next step for them was to launch the pixel line right after this phone. If Google had handled this differently, I have no doubt that I would be rocking a Pixel phone vs the One Plus 6T I have now. This was my first and only experience with a Google smartphone, and it’s that experience that will keep me from buying any pixel phone now or in the future.

That is exactly what I experienced. EXACTLY. And apparently thousands of other Nexus 6P owners - NOT "a minuscule percentage" as Aquila and other gSheep would have you believe. Between countless emails and phone calls to Google and Huawei, starting threads to try and publicize the issue, and responding to posts, I've never spent so much time in my entire life on a product I purchased that turned into a disaster.

In the end, I agree that what we're getting is far less than what we deserve. However, I did it more for the principle than for the measly amount that we're getting. The way Google and Huawei refused to take responsibility and refused to make things right with thousands of their customers is beyond unacceptable. You would think forcing them to pay 10 million dollars would make them rethink the way they do business, but apparently Google didn't change as they lost another almost 10 million dollar lawsuit with the Pixel.

Your last sentence is real world proof of what I wrote in a post above. Google is outstanding at pissing off their customers who contact them when their Nexus 6P or Pixel becomes defective due to a software or hardware issue, and making them never want to buy another Google device.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's sad that years later, and 3 more generations of phones, and Google's pixels are still looked at as low quality and not reliable enough to invest in by the majority of smartphone buyers, as shown by pixel sales, especially the 3 series.

I really like pixels, but at this stage I'm starting to wonder if they're ever going to be able to make a quality phone.

It's definitely stopped me from upgrading at this point because I don't want to get rid of a good working pixel for a new upgraded headache.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
If you were a betting man would you bet that they are going to come out with a fix for the Nexus 6P?

I would bet that it will be fixed, yes.

Good thing you didn't bet that Google would come up with a fix because you would have lost that bet.

Never will fix it or hasn't been able to release a fix yet?

Google moves kinda slow, but they finally replied to your question at first link below. See "Status" at the far right side of the page.

Hope this helps...

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/37126855#comment2109

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/11/16/nexus-6p-early-shutdown-fixed/?amp#1

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay