What to know before RMAing - trying to inform myself

kwest12

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
First off, I just wanted to thank you guys for always being so helpful. It's really nice to have people like you to discuss things with.

I just bought a used Nexus 6P, and it seems to suffer from the battery shutoff issue once it gets below ~10%. The original owner bought directly from the Google Play store in Sept 2016, so it's still under warranty with Google, and I believe that means I should be able to RMA it.

Before I do anything, I'd like to have as much info as possible to make this go as smoothly as possible; I'm traveling out of the country at the end of May and I need a device that works pretty much flawlessly by then, so timing is a factor.

Question 1

If I make a Nandroid backup in TWRP, move it to my computer's Hard Drive, copy it onto the RMA replacement, and restore it, that would very quickly restore me to where I was with my current phone without any issues, correct?
If it matters, I'm unlocked, stock-rooted on 6.0.1 (MTC20L), stock kernel, and TWRP (v3.0.3.0 iirc.) I used Nexus Root Toolkit for all of this.

Question 2:
Besides the ones I've listed below, what common Nexus 6P issues do I need to watch for when I get my RMA device?
  • Device overheating
  • Bootlooping
  • Random Reboots
  • Powers down once battery is below __%
  • Microphone / call quality issues
  • Screen discoloration issues
  • Bent / broken volume buttons
  • Screen separating from device
  • Wifi / radio / bluetooth / gps issues? (not sure if this is relevant)

Question 3:
How does the RMA process actually work?
  • To RMA, do I just call the Nexus / Google support line, give them my IMEI, explain that I'm having the battery shutoff issue and request they send me a warranty replacement?
  • Are there additional steps I'll need to take because I'm not the original owner?
  • Do I have to send Google my phone for them to send me the replacement, or do they send me the replacement first and then I send them my current device once the replacement arrives?
  • What's the typical turnaround time between making the RMA request and receiving the new device?

Anything else I should know?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Things can get a little sketchy with a second owner. As an example, I purchased a Pixel XL for a friend (because I get a discount) and he sent it in for RMA and they refunded the price of the phone to me. I then purchased another one for him, but obviously not the most clean process. That was within the first 30 days or so, you're a little outside of that so may get a better process. Is the original owner someone you know or a stranger?

Your list of things to look for is pretty good, but I'd be sure to update to the latest firmware and then look for the software related issues.

kwest12

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Things can get a little sketchy with a second owner. As an example, I purchased a Pixel XL for a friend (because I get a discount) and he sent it in for RMA and they refunded the price of the phone to me. I then purchased another one for him, but obviously not the most clean process. That was within the first 30 days or so, you're a little outside of that so may get a better process. Is the original owner someone you know or a stranger?

Your list of things to look for is pretty good, but I'd be sure to update to the latest firmware and then look for the software related issues.

The owner is an eBay seller who confirmed via the eBay messaging to help me transfer ownership and warranty, and provided the info to do so upon purchase. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get the device RMAed.

As far as the latest firmware goes, that's not actually an option for me, as I want to use Xposed. Honestly, I might stay away from Nougat anyway - seems like I've heard a lot of people reporting worse battery life and performance after updating from MM.

Anyway, thanks for response..

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
OP,

Frankly, if the only problem you've observed is the phone shutting down at 10%, I wouldn't even bother getting a replacement. You're just as likely to get a device with other/worse issues.
Answer 1: Yes
Answer 2: I haven't seen any of the problems you listed (my device has shut off a couple of times around 3%, but frankly it's idiotic to let a battery get that low anyway, so anyone that does that on a regular basis gets what they deserve) but my sample size is only one FWIW.
- I did see a small kink in the frame develop near the Power button from taking the case off several times (the case fit pretty darn tightly and it took lots of effort to pry it off; I don't mess with that anymore)
Answer 3: No experience with an RMA for this device, but I'd be surprised if Google just offered up a replacement for the second buyer. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze