pixel 2 xl

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the Nexus 6p on Nougat 7.1.2 as a lot of other people here so as well. How many of us are waiting for the Pixel 2 to come out. There's a lot to be said for the clean bulletproof software, that's for sure. In comparison to Samsung phones which are barely getting updates, or the updates making the phones too sluggish to even use sometimes.

What are everyone's else's thoughts about that here? Thank you.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the Nexus 6p on Nougat 7.1.2 as a lot of other people here so as well. How many of us are waiting for the Pixel 2 to come out. There's a lot to be said for the clean bulletproof software, that's for sure. In comparison to Samsung phones which are barely getting updates, or the updates making the phones too sluggish to even use sometimes.

I'm waiting, but it's Pixel XL 2 vs. Note 8 till I find out more or they're released.

I've never used Samsung so I'm glad you pointed that out. Thanks!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting, but it's Pixel XL 2 vs. Note 8 till I find out more or they're released.

I've never used Samsung so I'm glad you pointed that out. Thanks!
I was actually considering the s8. The problem is the lack of Google software updates of course.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I am in pretty much the same boat. I know the Pixels were crazy good, etc etc... but to be honest, I am not really losing all that much. The camera is close enough in quality as to not make a difference (especially with the modified Google Camera app that uses the Pixel's zero shutter lag HDR+ Auto mode).... the 6P's EIS isn't as good as the Pixel's, which Google sort of made a moot point with the addition of stabilization in the Google Photos app.

6P isn't as fast as the Pixel, but that doesn't mean it's slow, etc... About the only issue I had was that the battery had started to get a little bit tired so I had it replaced and now it's fresh as a mountain spring. With the new cell in there, I should make it to the fall quite easily and my expectation is that I'll replace it with the Pixel 2 XL or whatever they want to call it.

I've had the 6P for since shortly after launch, so it must be, what, 17 or 18 months now. That's easily the longest I've ever used a phone as my daily driver. And it still performs excellent. So there was little to no appreciable reason to replace my 6P other than "because new"

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I am in pretty much the same boat. I know the Pixels were crazy good, etc etc... but to be honest, I am not really losing all that much. The camera is close enough in quality as to not make a difference (especially with the modified Google Camera app that uses the Pixel's zero shutter lag HDR+ Auto mode).... the 6P's EIS isn't as good as the Pixel's, which Google sort of made a moot point with the addition of stabilization in the Google Photos app.

6P isn't as fast as the Pixel, but that doesn't mean it's slow, etc... About the only issue I had was that the battery had started to get a little bit tired so I had it replaced and now it's fresh as a mountain spring. With the new cell in there, I should make it to the fall quite easily and my expectation is that I'll replace it with the Pixel 2 XL or whatever they want to call it.

I've had the 6P for since shortly after launch, so it must be, what, 17 or 18 months now. That's easily the longest I've ever used a phone as my daily driver. And it still performs excellent. So there was little to no appreciable reason to replace my 6P other than "because new"
I hear ya! Honestly, for me, the only thing I dislike about my 6p is how big it is. Something that more comfortably fits in my hand, and especially my pocket. As far as the phone itself, I can't wait to see what Google does with a bezel less phone, and even more battery improvements. Solid build design...etc.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Pixel 2 before I decide what to do. The battery on my 6P is getting worse and worse so I have to do an upgrade this year. I really really prefer a Nexus/Pixel because of the software updates, I've had the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5 and now the 6P, but I might consider another flagship phone depending on what the Pixel 2s look like. The Pixels weren't good enough to consider an upgrade, the screen was smaller than the 6Ps and more importantly the speakers sucked. I like the forward firing stereo speakers on the 6P and if they don't fix the speakers on the Pixel 2s I'll move on. If I do move to something else I hope that someone has a flagship with a replaceable battery, I hate the in ability to change a battery. On the Nexus 5 it was possible to change the battery although it was impossible to get a good replacement battery. On the 6P I wouldn't even try to replace the battery.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Pixel 2 before I decide what to do. The battery on my 6P is getting worse and worse so I have to do an upgrade this year. I really really prefer a Nexus/Pixel because of the software updates, I've had the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5 and now the 6P, but I might consider another flagship phone depending on what the Pixel 2s look like. The Pixels weren't good enough to consider an upgrade, the screen was smaller than the 6Ps and more importantly the speakers sucked. I like the forward firing stereo speakers on the 6P and if they don't fix the speakers on the Pixel 2s I'll move on. If I do move to something else I hope that someone has a flagship with a replaceable battery, I hate the in ability to change a battery. On the Nexus 5 it was possible to change the battery although it was impossible to get a good replacement battery. On the 6P I wouldn't even try to replace the battery.
I doubt Google will give the pixel 2 front firing speakers. They'll most likely give it ip 68 water resistance. Meaning bottom firing single mono speaker. I mean it sucks, but I'd rather have a water resistant phones than anything else. As for the size, j feel as though 5.5" is large enough at this point for a smartphone, especially is Google will go bezel less design. We shall see what happens next month at Google I/o.

Graymonkey

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't pay a grand for ANY phone, no matter how good it claims to be. More than likely, my next phone will be whatever they call the next OnePlus phone. "Almost" as good as the Nexus/Pixel phones at 1/2 the price. Not really sure how to go wrong. The only thing I'll miss if I get rid of my 6P is Project Fi. I'm almost always on wifi so I never pay more than a few cents for data. I'm really hoping Project Fi will expand to include phones other than from Google (whatever brand they call them).

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't pay a grand for ANY phone, no matter how good it claims to be. More than likely, my next phone will be whatever they call the next OnePlus phone. "Almost" as good as the Nexus/Pixel phones at 1/2 the price. Not really sure how to go wrong. The only thing I'll miss if I get rid of my 6P is Project Fi. I'm almost always on wifi so I never pay more than a few cents for data. I'm really hoping Project Fi will expand to include phones other than from Google (whatever brand they call them).
See, yes, I agree with you about how absurdly expensive and overpriced smartphones have become. Even when there was a two-year contract pricing and there was subsidized phone pricing they were expensive. Now the new pixel 2XL is going to be $50 more expensive than the current pixel. That's pretty much $800 for a phone. Now of course they have the payment plans and things of that nature and will I do it more than likely yes because as much as I love my Nexus 6p, I'm getting there I say bored of it and I want a new phone in the future. My 6p, runs perfectly fine. Other than Google Assistant failing to activate every now and then on the lock screen which I am dealing with everything else runs fine!

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Why wouldn't you try to replace the battery. My screen cracked and I got it fixed. The same shop would charge me $80 to replace the battery. I'd rather do that than drop a G note on a new phone as long as everything else is fine.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Why wouldn't you try to replace the battery. My screen cracked and I got it fixed. The same shop would charge me $80 to replace the battery. I'd rather do that than drop a G note on a new phone as long as everything else is fine.

Personally for myself, I'm worried of getting stuck in boot loop and my device being a paper weight. Sure it's not a for sure to happen but you never know, and in that reason I'd personally rather buy a newer device than reinvest back to my 6P.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I am getting pixel 2 as soon as its released. (give my nexus to my father in law)
although i was a fan of big screen now i am thinking about getting a regular pixel.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am getting pixel 2 as soon as its released. (give my nexus to my father in law)
although i was a fan of big screen now i am thinking about getting a regular pixel.
That's almost the same exact thing as what I plan on doing. I will be giving my father my 6p since it's unlocked and he's on T-Mobile.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
The Pixel 2 will be very much of interest to me as well.

Didn't upgrade to the Pixel XL from myt N6P as personally, I didn't see it as much of an upgrade and the price was just daft

But, it seems that they're all charging high prices now as they know will pay it for the latest and 'best' phone!

The S8 Plus is very much of interest to me and I may still buy one; but again, I love my N6P, it's absolutely immaculate/as new and I know I'll miss running OS Beta and getting the updates before anyone else etc... That's why I feel the XL 2 will be a good step up

But then again, the Note 8 could be very much of interest. I've had all the Note's, bar the 7 and loved them all. Still have the Note 3 N9005 for my business handset and it's great and still runs very well!

I loved the Note 5 920C I had (we didn't get the Note 5 here in the UK so had to buy it from someone who imported them), but still ended up back with an N6P...! ;)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Pixel 2 will be very much of interest to me as well.

Didn't upgrade to the Pixel XL from myt N6P as personally, I didn't see it as much of an upgrade and the price was just daft

But, it seems that they're all charging high prices now as they know will pay it for the latest and 'best' phone!

The S8 Plus is very much of interest to me and I may still buy one; but again, I love my N6P, it's absolutely immaculate/as new and I know I'll miss running OS Beta and getting the updates before anyone else etc... That's why I feel the XL 2 will be a good step up

But then again, the Note 8 could be very much of interest. I've had all the Note's, bar the 7 and loved them all. Still have the Note 3 N9005 for my business handset and it's great and still runs very well!

I loved the Note 5 920C I had (we didn't get the Note 5 here in the UK so had to buy it from someone who imported them), but still ended up back with an N6P...! ;)
Yeah I know. The s8 looks nice but again, to reiterate, the unfortunate lack of Google software updates and bloatware frustrate me just like they frustrate a lot of other people here as well.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I know. The s8 looks nice but again, to reiterate, the unfortunate lack of Google software updates and bloatware frustrate me just like they frustrate a lot of other people here as well.

Wait a month or two (post-launch) and get a non-branded S8, that should take care of *most* of the bloatware, all the carrier stuff anyway.
I couldn't go back to an OEM-gated device though, too long on WinPhone, and my 6P, waiting/wondering if/when an OEM will update is nuts, for me. I keep thinking that somehow Google will move to more of a real OS model, where they push core updates, and OEMs just have to keep their "fluff" working, on top of the changes, like WinPhone.

That said, I'm sort of keeping an eye out for the Pixel 2 XL as well, I like the phablet design, I've sort of evolved from my larger Win-phones into the 6P, and would have trouble going back to anything less than 5.5 or so.

I'm with the comments on the pricing though; yeah, the Pixel is a nice phone, but it's not THAT nice; hopefully the V2 will cover more ground here.

Those who got their battery replaced (I sort of debated on DIY, and watched a couple of videos, no thanks, I work on a lot of stuff, but all this "heat it just a little and peel carefully" stuff is for someone who does these, regularly, IMHO), how did you verify the place is good, and uses OEM cells?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wait a month or two (post-launch) and get a non-branded S8, that should take care of *most* of the bloatware, all the carrier stuff anyway.

I'm sort of keeping an eye out for the Pixel 2 XL as well, I like the phablet design, I've sort of evolved from my larger Win-phones into the 6P, and would have trouble going back to anything less than 5.5 or so.

I'm with the comments on the pricing though; yeah, the Pixel is a nice phone, but it's not THAT nice; hopefully the V2 will cover more ground.

Those who got their battery replaced (I sort of debated on DIY, and watched a couple of videos, no thanks, I work on a lot of stuff, but all this "heat it just a little and peel carefully" stuff is for someone who does these, regularly, IMHO), how did you verify the place is good, and uses OEM cells?
The pixel 2 design should hopefully look really nice. Of course I'm still going to play with a Galaxy S8 in the local Verizon store regardless. Next month, we shall see what happens and what Google has been working on. Google knows they have to pull out all the stops so-to-speak.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The pixel 2 design should hopefully look really nice. Of course I'm still going to play with a Galaxy S8 in the local Verizon store regardless. Next month, we shall see what happens and what Google has been working on. Google knows they have to pull out all the stops so-to-speak.

Google better pull out all stops. I'm pretty tempted by the S8+ though. Saw one today in person, even with the bigger screen the form factor is comparable to the 6P. Adjusting would not be that bad. I just would have to get used to slow updates, which now I see I'm starting to care less about being at the front of the line. Google phones always feel unfinished, kind of like a permanent beta. Hopefully they can come up with something, because if they are going to charge S8/S8+/iPhone money, they need to back it up with a solid product.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois