Anyone thinking about switching?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but can we please keep replies to experiences with the software on the Samsung and LG. If you left a recent phone from one of these companies for the 6P, would you go back?

i would never go back to samsung. the storage difference between samsung S8 and Nexus is 4.5Gb
yes that means 4.5 gb of bloatware. bloat software will probably be around 2 gb.

also, samsung phones slow down after 4-5 months of use. if u format it every few months then it should work like new.
did i talk about duplicate software?? its all over the place. many feature samsung provide is just an app install away from play store.
I would like to have control over it.
Android O is already on nexus as a beta version. expect O from samsung mid 2018 and android P end of 2019.

I would get the Pixel 2 if u can wait

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Difficult... I am an old timer considering smartphones, having started with Palm Treos and the Compaq XDA and Ipaq Phones and Fujitsu WinMob, owning an iPhone for a while then switching to Palm Pre (I adored WebOS). After the demise of Palm/HP devices I had to find a new platform.
Android was my choice because
1) never had one before
2) most of the Palm staff went to Google and made that OS shiny and nice ;)

I got a Samsung GS3 as company phone and was very disappointed. A lot of hang ups and a lot of other problems made this phone a dread. I probably would have changed platforms again, where it not for the Nexus 5, which I saw first being used by a friend. Smooth as silk, stable and bloody good looking as well ... I went and bought one.
Two years ago I switched to the Nexus 6P.
I got my sister into buying the 5X. She is very happy with it as well.
My wife used an iPhone, which broke. She didn't want to buy a new one so I gave her my Nexus 5. She was very happy with it, too (another ex-iPhone user saved from redemption hehehehe).
Yesterday she broke the disply of my old trusty Nexus 5 (*sniff*) so we had to find a budget smartphone that could do all the things she needs (mainly PIM and Pokemon GO) - so we bought her the Moto G5 Plus.
She is soooo happy with it. Bigger display. Near stock experience. Fast enough for her ... and a new battery!

So, shortly said: if I had to change phones now, I probably would go for a Pixel, as I like stock Android and would like to stay there. Still, they are waaay too expensive for what the bring you, so I probably will stay with the 6P as long as possible and then switch to whatever stock or near stock big phone is out there on the market.
I am absolutely healed from Samsung. They will probably stay a no go for me.

Last edited:

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I also had the Treo and the Palm Pre before switching to Android, the Pre was such a promising OS but they totally screwed up in the hardware, the screen was too small even by the standards of the time and they never did a second generation.

I just had my 6P replaced so I now have a working battery which gives me some breathing time. If I hadn't had the extended warranty I might have been forced to switch because the old battery was close to unusable. My plan is to wait for the Pixel 2 Plus, if it meets expectations I'll get one. If it sucks then I'll consider the LG V30 which will also be out by then. The LG V20 has a replaceable battery, if they keep that feature in the V30 that's a really really strong selling point. I wouldn't consider a Samsung because the load them up with their own software, I'm really really don't want Bixby as it might conflict with Google Now and serves absolutely no purpose to anyone except Samsung. The downside of any phone other than a Pixel is that you are forced to get your updates through a carrier, I never want Verizon to be in the loop on my updates, I had the Galaxy Nexus which was more Galaxy than Nexus in terms of updates, Verizon's updates were many months later than everyone else's if they happened at all and I don't want to repeat that experience.

Graymonkey

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Since I'm having call issues with my 6P, I've been looking at the specs on the new OnePlus 5. The specs look excellent and you can't beat the estimated price. It's supposed to be official on the 27th. We'll see what the final price is.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Since I'm having call issues with my 6P, I've been looking at the specs on the new OnePlus 5. The specs look excellent and you can't beat the estimated price. It's supposed to be official on the 27th. We'll see what the final price is.
Closest you will get to a vanilla android experience. 100 times better design than current Pixel with top of the line specs and tons cheaper than current and future pixel.

I ditched Pixel phones because i can get better value for my money somewhere else. OnePlus5 is an excellent example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC