Media Volume won't work

Hitaku

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
Today I've come to notice that I no longer get any sound when listening to any media, unless my headphones are plugged in. I can hear calls fine, I hear notification sounds fine, but when it comes to music, YouTube, Twitch, etc, I can't hear anything. All volume settings are maxed and I've restarted my phone twice. I would very very much like to avoid doing a factory reset. For what it's worth, I'm rooted. It's strange to me that I can still hear notifications and calls fine. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Edit: I've tried installing the app SoundAbout as others have suggested for similar issues, but it doesn't seem to fix anything.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
A while back someone had a similar problem that turned out to be caused by a game he had installed; when he told the game to mute sounds, it muted *all* media sounds, even when the game was not active in the foreground...

Hitaku

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
Turns out I just had to restart my phone a few more times. I found a suggestion from someone that said to power cycle it (turn off and leave off for 30 seconds) 5 times and that did the trick! Hope this helps someone else that ends up with this issue down the road.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That's very odd. If it happens again I'd suggest booting into Safe mode - that will eliminate 3rd party applications from the equation.

BigGus101

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
My media volume stopped working after I dropped it in snow a few days ago. I could hear notifications and phone calls, but not YouTube or any games. I could also hear media through headphones, which made me think it wasn't the speakers that were broken, but some sort of software issue. I came to this forum to look for answers, but nothing was working. I restarted it about 10 times, left it in rice overnight, tried multiple audio fixing apps but still nothing seemed to work.

After 24 hours with no luck, I shut it down and left it for a day, thinking I would need a replacement. But miraculously, then next day when I switched it on just to see if anything had changed, the volume suddenly started working.

I just posted this to tell anyone who is in the same situation as I was, just try leaving your phone for a while, and just maybe it might work.

coxe87b

May 23, 2018
Visit site
I have the exact same issue except my wife dropped the tablet in the sink. Ringer and notification volume works but no media volume on any app after multiple reboots. I'll leave it for a day and see... Fingers crossed.

deiu9999

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My media volume stopped working after I dropped it in snow a few days ago. I could hear notifications and phone calls, but not YouTube or any games. I could also hear media through headphones, which made me think it wasn't the speakers that were broken, but some sort of software issue. I came to this forum to look for answers, but nothing was working. I restarted it about 10 times, left it in rice overnight, tried multiple audio fixing apps but still nothing seemed to work.

After 24 hours with no luck, I shut it down and left it for a day, thinking I would need a replacement. But miraculously, then next day when I switched it on just to see if anything had changed, the volume suddenly started working.

I just posted this to tell anyone who is in the same situation as I was, just try leaving your phone for a while, and just maybe it might work.

Hi,

I had the exact same problem, just that I have an LG V20. So, same as you, I dropped it in the snow and then when I reached home, no media sound, no sound during calls (but I can hear the ringtone when someone calls me), also in my case but other then that, headphones sound worked, and also the notifications worked. It`s the media sounds that are not working.. But eventually, it worked again by itself after a few hours..
Today it happened that I poured some tea on the phone by mistake but thanks to the case I don`t think that water got in the phone at all.. Still, the problem with sound appeared again.
Is this some kind of fail safe feature in the software? I dunno...

KC9999

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site
Hope this help, I have the same issue only at night. Almost go ahead with the factory reset.

Finally found the issue....for my phone anyway.

When "do not disturb" is on i have my media sounds accidentally muted.

As soon as I unable it, the media sounds works!!!

Hope this help

pathfinder1956

Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
Hitaku solution of turning your phone off and on worked. I just did it about 5 times and solved my no sound problem on video, games & other media. I just created this account to let you guys know that solution worked. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hitaku solution of turning your phone off and on worked. I just did it about 5 times and solved my no sound problem on video, games & other media. I just created this account to let you guys know that solution worked. Thanks for all the help.
Welcome to AC !
Happy to hear it solved your issue

leetran72

Oct 19, 2021
Visit site
I just resinged an account just to show you one way, it's totally solved my problem.
- Open Plays store. Search for audioswitch and intall it (Any app, no matter what it have audio witch funtion)
- Plug you headset jack in. Open AW app and switch it to speaker
- Check if it works. Once it works properly, just uninstall AW app
Tada - it's done!

PS: Sorry for my terrible English

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just resinged an account just to show you one way, it's totally solved my problem.
- Open Plays store. Search for audioswitch and intall it (Any app, no matter what it have audio witch funtion)
Tada - it's done!

Hi, welcome to AC!

Thanks for your tip on this .

Eric Beekel

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
Today I've come to notice that I no longer get any sound when listening to any media, unless my headphones are plugged in. I can hear calls fine, I hear notification sounds fine, but when it comes to music, YouTube, Twitch, etc, I can't hear anything. All volume settings are maxed and I've restarted my phone twice. I would very very much like to avoid doing a factory reset. For what it's worth, I'm rooted. It's strange to me that I can still hear notifications and calls fine. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Edit: I've tried installing the app SoundAbout as others have suggested for similar issues, but it doesn't seem to fix anything.

I had the same problem dropped it in the sink. Only sound was calling ringtone. Pull down your menu and click on media and mine was changed to something called h2w check and make sure it's on this phone option and u should have ur sound back

Galexia Spark

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Tada - it's done!

Hill it worked for me but, it keeps on on and off..

broland

Apr 13, 2024
Visit site
Hey all!

I dropped my phone in the toilet and experienced the same "bug". When trying to play music on YouTube Music, I observed that the phone was detecting a headphone connected through the Jack port, even though there was none. I think it is caused by the water/ dust in the port. I cleaned it with a toothpick, and after 2 days it started working again randomly. So, it is worth to wait 2-3 days for the phone to completely dry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci