Explain to me how to clear RAM please

rbell2915

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that my RAM is currently 85-95% full and sometimes my phone is pretty laggy. Is there anyway to clear the RAM and make it faster? Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android is designed to keep RAM relatively full, so 85% isn't that unusual. 95% is pushing it a bit, but I wouldn't recommend using "RAM cleaner" apps, since they tend to be from shady developers who sneak in a lot of other unwanted features. In addition, these kinds of apps can contribute to poor performance by automatically closing apps on a regular basis, which prompts the system to open apps again, leading to a vicious cycle (that bogs down performance and drains battery).

Instead, let's try to figure out if there's an app you're using that's hogging too many resources. Check your Settings>Memory>Memory Used By App menu, and see if anything has been using an inordinate amount of RAM. Show us a screenshot of that menu as well.

rbell2915

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply and recommendation against using a RAM clearer app. Here are some screenshots. Yesterday it was at 95% so I'm pleased to see it's gone down slightly. Not sure what action I did to cause that though.
8d15d77b9ca8951580ce603232eabee5.jpg
062b1cd249e6f624c06fe3bcbfb301f1.jpg

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I use the maintenance widget every so often to speed my phone up when laggy, just tap optimize
aaa5808fbfc6547df286d5c9f2e4c2e9.jpg

Edit sorry thought this was an s8 plus forum why it showed up for nexus on my feed is beyond me. Sorry I don't own one of those

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Android is designed to keep RAM relatively full, so 85% isn't that unusual. 95% is pushing it a bit, but I wouldn't recommend using "RAM cleaner" apps, since they tend to be from shady developers who sneak in a lot of other unwanted features. In addition, these kinds of apps can contribute to poor performance by automatically closing apps on a regular basis, which prompts the system to open apps again, leading to a vicious cycle (that bogs down performance and drains battery).

Instead, let's try to figure out if there's an app you're using that's hogging too many resources. Check your Settings>Memory>Memory Used By App menu, and see if anything has been using an inordinate amount of RAM. Show us a screenshot of that menu as well.

Why is Android designed to use most of its RAM? What is the benefit?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Why is Android designed to use most of its RAM? What is the benefit?
The idea is to have apps ready to go when you switch to them. The system will keep recently opened apps in RAM, or open commonly used apps into RAM. This allows for a smoother and quicker transitions between apps. If you were to clear an app out of RAM every time you left it, and kept RAM as empty as possible, then switching from one app to another would take longer, as each app you opened had to do a "cold start," as it were (which also takes more battery).

This article from Jerry Hildenbrand is old, but still quite relevant: https://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It's analogous to you cooking a magnificent feast for dinner, but having your ingredients prepared and utensils out ready to go beforehand. Saves time when you want to start cooking.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's analogous to you cooking a magnificent feast for dinner, but having your ingredients prepared and utensils out ready to go beforehand. Saves time when you want to start cooking.

Good analogy, but now you have gone and made me hungry...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke