Hi guys!

Got oreo via OTA yesterday and am quite happy.

There are a few questions I wanted to ask and thought I collect these here in this thread. Feel free to post your questions concerning 6p and Oreo here.

1) changing icon style: we have been told, that this is possible with oreo, yet I can't find the according menu... any leads, where that function ist hidden?

2) security: there are those who tell us, that Android never needed an internet security software. Well, seems that Google feels otherwise and gives us Play Protect with oreo. I had first Commodo, then Avast on my phone. Having Googles new security on board I ask myself if I still need Avast.
    Any thoughts on that?

TIA for any answers!
    Hope you have as much fun with Oreo as I have. Phone seems to run quicker and batt holds longer, I think.
    09-13-2017 02:14 AM
    "changing icon style" that depends on the Launcher you are using. I have no idea about the default launcher (GoogleLauncher/Launcher3/PixelLauncher), but I know that Action Launcher supports it and it's also coming to Nova

And for the security thing, I have no idea :|

Ps : Weird cause Oreo seems like it killed my 6P (which is about 6 months old). Phone is slow, gets hot quickly, feels like a low end device now.
    09-13-2017 03:35 AM
    So far I have no notification dots. Confirmed that it is enabled under notifications. running stock launcher. I see lots of videos where you can download a Pixel launcher or use Nova but I thought it was supposed to be Native. or is this exclusive to Pixel as a native feature? as to my experience so far so good. no lag, heat or battery issues. to soon to say if its any better on the battery.
    09-13-2017 04:32 AM
    Also change icon style does not seem to be an available option either.
    09-13-2017 04:35 AM
    Notification dots aren't supported by the Google Now Launcher, and the Pixel Launcher is exclusive to the Pixel devices along with Night Mode, which annoys me greatly. You can download the Pixel Launcher APK, which I've played with, and it works fine, but then I wonder how it gets updated, and I just don't want to have to mess with it.

So, I've settled on going back to Nova Launcher. NL supports the notification dots/badges and even takes it a step further by giving the dots some personality with something they call "dynamic badges". I'd probably be using NL even on a Pixel with this feature.
    09-13-2017 09:32 AM
    Try using this launcher. It allows for the dots, and has options to change the icon shapes.

https://github.com/amirzaidi/Launcher3/releases
    09-13-2017 12:34 PM
    I am:
    - less than impressed with the Notification activity on the Status bar (I don't really care to be annoyed with these messages about tasks that are running in the background, particularly since they take up valuable real estate in the Notification shade)
    - really missing the 'old' Battery history detail screen (which showed cellular connection quality, Wi-Fi connection time, awake vs. screen on time, etc)
    - unimpressed with the changes in the UI (some icons look really dumb on the Home screen now, volume control order has changed for no obvious reason, etc)
    - probably going to have to Factory Reset to see if battery life goes back to normal; right now it drops like a rock
    newbeginning828 likes this.
    09-15-2017 03:30 AM
    I'm still waiting for the OTA update. Is anyone else waiting too?
    I know it's available to install from a PC, but shouldn't I be getting it pushed?
    I'm using an unlocked 6P, so there's no proprietary crap to be added.
    I just don't get it!
    09-15-2017 04:42 AM
    I just read something earlier today about people being able to "pack" malware in apps so that it escapes Play Protect detection. I'm sure Play Protect is a great thing, but if you're really concerned about security, Play Protect may not be quite the all-inclusive "security blanket" that Google's adcopy makes it out to be.

At least the presentations about Play Protect I can recall from IO videos this year certainly didn't try so hard to sell it as a complete or aggressive security solution for everyone. Instead, they seemed to pitch it as a new name for something we've always done.
    09-15-2017 11:19 AM
    I am:
    - less than impressed with the Notification activity on the Status bar (I don't really care to be annoyed with these messages about tasks that are running in the background, particularly since they take up valuable real estate in the Notification shade)
    - really missing the 'old' Battery history detail screen (which showed cellular connection quality, Wi-Fi connection time, awake vs. screen on time, etc)
    - unimpressed with the changes in the UI (some icons look really dumb on the Home screen now, volume control order has changed for no obvious reason, etc)
    - probably going to have to Factory Reset to see if battery life goes back to normal; right now it drops like a rock
    Definitely miss the old battery settings look. It was more intuitive in my opinion.
    Blaize19 likes this.
    09-16-2017 03:07 AM
    I know it's available to install from a PC, but shouldn't I be getting it pushed?
    I just don't get it!
    Still waiting for the OTA here too. 😩
    09-16-2017 11:53 AM
    My Webasto App (Thermo Call) did not work, but the dev updated it already. works again now.
    09-19-2017 02:12 AM
    I just don't get it!
    I just bought a brand new Nexus 6p and the Oreo update was there waiting to be installed on my new one. That's odd you don't have it yet. You should have already gotten it. Keep checking daily as I'm sure it will show any time now.
    09-22-2017 01:33 AM
    It did come through a couple of days later. I just forgot to update my post, lol
    09-22-2017 02:10 AM