N6P to the new Pixel XL 2

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
How much of a trade in were you given on the 6p? I'm just curious if Google is offering a fair amount given the 6p is still such a good device for the ones who are not having any battery issues.

It'll never be enough to represent it's true value

You'd be better off selling it privately!

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

151 here as well. I checked swappa yesterday and 32GB black 6Ps are starting at $200 and there are quite a few for sale. It's worth it to me to take just a little bit less and not have to list it and wait to see if it sells. I think 30% of the value of the phone on a two year old android device is fair.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
It'll never be enough to represent it's true value

You'd be better off selling it privately!

True, but expect the prices on 6P to come down dramatically as more people put theirs up for sale. It's about $200 now on Swappa, but I'd expect it to drop to about $150 anyway - everyone wants to sell their 6P for some upgrade cash, but there aren't that many 6P buyers at this point.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm at least waiting for full use reviews, in particular on the screen brightness/usability in full sunlight (a real 6p weakness). Frankly I'm hard pressed to see a $700 (after trade-in) difference from the 6p, at least for my minimal camera usage {which IMO is the biggest Pixel improvement). I'd like BT5, but not at that cost. Most of the Pixel OS features will eventually come to the 6p, so.. Additionally, at these prices I want three OS updates after Oreo.

TL : DR - Sticking with the 6p unless real world reviews of the XL2 wow.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Additionally, at these prices I want three OS updates after Oreo.

I obviously can't speak to the other points, but the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are slated for 3 years of full support, which means Android Oreo (launch OS), Android P (2018), Android Q (2019), and Android R (2020), so that's 3 full OS iterations after Android Oreo.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I obviously can't speak to the other points, but the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are slated for 3 years of full support, which means Android Oreo (launch OS), Android P (2018), Android Q (2019), and Android R (2020), so that's 3 full OS iterations after Android Oreo.

Yea, my bad. What I meant to say is I want the next OS update (P) plus three more. I already have Oreo on the 6p and I expect most of the Pixel OS extras will come to the 6p, perhaps in the 8.1 update.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm for sure making the switch. My 6P has horrible microphone issues, battery drains really fast after Oreo and dies around 35% or so. No way I can sell it in good conscious to anyone and not even worth passing down, so I'll take the $151 from Google and enjoy the hell out of my XL2.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm at least waiting for full use reviews, in particular on the screen brightness/usability in full sunlight (a real 6p weakness).

Sad to see the P2XL screen reviews are, to say the least, rather unkind. Brighter perhaps, but with flaws truly unworthy of an $849 device. Oh well...

TrackFan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Fighting the urge to consume without justification...

This, times 1000. There is no way I'm spending $850 to replace something that still works as well as the day I bought it and suits my needs. Unless my phone starts crapping out I'll keep it for years to come. I went from a GS3 (!) to this 6P a year and a half ago. That's how often I change phones.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
There is no way I'm spending $850 to replace something that still works as well as the day I bought it and suits my needs

Exactly. There's simply no way the P2XL brings $700 of additional value (a $150 6P trade-in) over a working, good condition 6P. Not saying the P2XL isn't better, it's just not $700 better.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. There's simply no way the P2XL brings $700 of additional value (a $150 6P trade-in) over a working, good condition 6P. Not saying the P2XL isn't better, it's just not $700 better.

This is the way I'm swaying now TBH

Really wanted the XL2 to begin with, but the more and more I think about it and see initial reviews etc; I'm not getting £600 UK Sterling's worth more of a phone over my current 2 week old new/as new N6P received from Google (I value it at £250 UK sterling due to it's condition and the fact it has 2 years warranty)!

The N6P is still a superb phone; great screen, great picture taker (well, for me it is) and for what I use mobiles for, it's more than adequate!

I'll probably look at the XL2 when the prices drop, but for now, it's £899 UK Sterling price tag has calmed me right off the idea

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 6p despite having a perfectly fine Nexus 6 (my main excuse was the fingerprint reader - my phone has access to my student's data, and it needs to be protected) and I was determined not to get another phone a year out. Instead I got my wife the Pixel (which she loves, and really needed), but now we're two years out and I jumped on the Pixel 2 XL bandwagon almost as soon as preorders went live.

I'm looking forward to getting back to a larger screen, but the big thing for me is the camera. Having an N6, N6p, and a Pixel in the house I can say that the performance of the Pixel's camera is night and day better than the N6p - to the point where my wife frequently offers me her phone at family events because I'm the more avid photographer, and she wants more and better images from them.

So there was no hesitation from me (though I'll have an extra month to ponder my decision since I went for the Stormtrooper/Panda coloration), but the N6p (and even the Nexus 6, which my daughter still uses) are excellent phones, and I can understand why some would choose to forgo another year of not spending ~$900.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I jumped from my 6P of two years to the smaller Pixel 2 and I'm absolutely content with my decision. There's a few reasons why I made the move:

- My 6P has had a broken headphone jack for most of that time, so I'm already used to using Bluetooth ear buds.
- The battery instantly dies somewhere around 15-25%
- The 6P has become somewhat sluggish the past few months, even after a factory reset.
- After owning large phones, the 6P and the Nexus 6, I was ready to downsize to something more manageable. I got used to the large size, but frequently swipe one-handed so the smaller size of the Pixel 2 is much more satisfying.

If you're having issues with your 6P like I have been, I'd recommend the jump to either the Pixel 2 or 2XL.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I got my Pixel 2XL yesterday. I lost power in the storm on Sunday and won't get it back until Friday so the phone is my only connection to the world until then so I've been using it pretty intensively.

Here are the highlights as compared to the 6P

1 It's much better as a phone. Its curious that phone reviews never mention the phone function. The 6P was lousy as a phone, voice quality, both sending and receiving was poor and it didn't do a good job holding the calls. The 2XL has great voice quality and it doesn't drop calls. I'm guessing that Verizon did a much better job of provisioning their network for the 2XL because it's a Verizon exclusive phone. The 6P was a step child because the didn't sell it so they did a half assed job of provisioning the network for it, for example there were LTE bands that the 6P and Verizon supported that didn't work.

2 Android Auto seems much more reliable. The 6P didn't always connect to my car, the 2XL does.

3 I previously said the screen was worse on the 2Xl then on the 6P but after a week I've changed my mind. I did a side by side comparison and I now think the 2XLs screen is at least as good, maybe even slightly better. One difference from last week is that I upgraded to 8.1 beta.

4 The blue shift is no big deal. If you tilt the phone it's apparent but nobody holds a phone like that.

5 The performance is smooth and quick but so is the 6P especially when the 6P is running 8.1. I always turn off all of the transition effects so if you do that both phones are equally responsive. More to the point the 6P is as fast as a phone needs to be so the faster processor in the 2XL isn't noticable.

6 I can't tell about network performance because Verizon is crippled at the moment. I'm getting awful speedtest numbers, a couple of megabits per second, but at the Verizon store they ran it on a couple of other phones with similar results. In one location I got 18Mbits but that's not great. I'll see in a few days after the storm damage is fixed.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with the 2XL but except for voice quality it's not blow away better than the 6P. I didn't see any alternative to buying a 2XL. There is no chance that the battery on my 6P would last until the 3Xl comes out and Im not interested in Samsung's software bloat and slow OS updates so the 2XL was the only option.

Last edited:

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I got my Pixel 2XL yesterday. I lost power in the storm on Sunday and won't get it back until Friday so the phone is my only connection to the world until then so I've been using it pretty intensively.

Here are the highlights as compared to the 6P

1 It's much better as a phone. Its curious that phone reviews never mention the phone function. The 6P was lousy as a phone, voice quality, both sending and receiving was poor and it didn't do a good job holding the calls. The 2XL has great voice quality and it doesn't drop calls. I'm guessing that Verizon did a much better job of provisioning their network for the 2XL because it's a Verizon exclusive phone. The 6P was a step child because the didn't sell it so they did a half assed job of provisioning the network for it, for example there were LTE bands that the 6P and Verizon supported that didn't work.

2 Android Auto seems much more reliable. The 6P didn't always connect to my car, the 2XL does.

3 I previously said the screen was worse on the 2Xl then on the 6P but after a week I've changed my mind. I did a side by side comparison and I now think the 2XLs screen is at least as good, maybe even slightly better. One difference from last week is that I upgraded to 8.1 beta.

4 The blue shift is no big deal. If you tilt the phone it's apparent but nobody holds a phone like that.

5 The performance is smooth and quick but so is the 6P especially when the 6P is running 8.1. I always turn off all of the transition effects so if you do that both phones are equally responsive. More to the point the 6P is as fast as a phone needs to be so the faster processor in the 2XL isn't noticable.

6 I can't tell about network performance because Verizon is crippled at the moment. I'm getting awful speedtest numbers, a couple of megabits per second, but at the Verizon store they ran it on a couple of other phones with similar results. In one location I got 18Mbits but that's not great. I'll see in a few days after the storm damage is fixed.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with the 2XL but except for voice quality it's not blow away better than the 6P. I didn't see any alternative to buying a 2XL. There is no chance that the battery on my 6P would last until the 3Xl comes out and Im not interested in Samsung's software bloat and slow OS updates so the 2XL was the only option.
Nice review... Though I've never had any problems with call quality, etc. with my 6P. And yes... The screen is still awesome and the phone fast as ever.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I made this swap.. well.. kind of.. I had planned to but I have my wife by 6P because of her frustrations with her G6...

I want to say that I loved my 6P. It was smooth, reliable, got good battery life, too great pictures, etc. It did everything I asked of it and it did it really well.

Now, I've had the 2XL for a week and I have up say... You know that song from Annie Get Your Gun... The line 'I can do anything better than you!'. Well, that's the 2 XL. It's just a stellar device.

Now, in most cases it's not a huge difference (short one I'll get to shortly). It's a little faster, a little more responsive, a little more functional. The camera quality difference is closer than one would expect .. though the 6P can still hold it's own against anything it there still. But the camera is a lot quicker. It launches faster, can take pictures quicker, focuses quicker and processes HDR+ much quicker. And video, due to the supernatural stabilization, is much better.

Basically I can take this thing out of my pocket, open the camera app in an instant, take a quick shot and get an incredible picture without even bothering to worry. And we haven't even seen what the new Visual Core will bring us.

Oh, and it has that trick portrait mode that's actually a lot more useful that I expected

ac8bb5249e77fcf7f66298cb04dc36e0.jpg

The one shocking improvement I've seen is with battery performance. Now, if you look at the metrics from my 6P, with my usage, it would yield about 4 hours of screen time with 24h between full charges. Granted, I'm a charge early/charge often so I rarely would do that. But a week into the 2 XL... My usage is pretty similar still, but those same metrics show 6.5 hours of screen time over 30+ hours. The 2 XL uses significantly less power when in use. My 6P was usually in the 18% to 20% range, on average. The 2XL is about 10-11% per hour. Holy schnikies.

That's putting me in "Pruit Igoe playing in the background” awe. It is, by a wide margin, the most power efficient phone I've used and one that, at least for me, could hit that magical two-day charge plateau... If I put it down.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

Sat here with the two phones side by side, exactly the same set up (Nova back up) and the display on the 2XL is much better (boosted) than the 6P. To say that I was surprised is an understatement to say the least.

It's louder too, at least playing from Google play.

It also connects to the car first time with all the menus etc. The 6p would always connect and work but only 10% of the time the correct screen with favourites would be there. I'd been blaming the car.

Battery life, something I've got used to taking what people say they get with a pinch of salt is unbelievable. I'll have a better idea after the weekend. So far it's so good it feels like the battery level gauge is broken.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick follow up. I've had the 2XL for almost a month. I'm still very happy with it. The camera is much better than the 6P's as is the call quality and there is no comparison on battery life, the 2XL has excellent battery life. I'm happy with the screen. I'm running 8.1 beta 1 which hasn't received the new color palette changes that 8.0 has received but even so I think the screen is very good. In my previous review I said that Android Auto was much better, I take that back. I still run into problems where I can't connect unless I reboot the phone, it occurs if I power my car off and then on again with the phone attached (My car is a Volt so the term power off and on is the appropriate). There do seem to be fewer AA problems but they are by no means fixed.

My 6P is now being used as a tablet. My girlfriend hooks it to my car's hot spot and looks things up for us while we drive.