Phone Crash & Nova Launcher

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I've figured out that it's Nova Launcher causing my phone to shut down at 15%. I recently upgraded to Oreo hoping that would fix the problem, but it hasn't. I've run my phone down in Safe Mode and I get the Low Battery warning at 15%, run it with the Google Now launcher and get the Low Battery Warning, and when I run it with Nova Launcher my phone shuts down.

Anyone else running Nova Launcher and get this shut down? I'm sad because I really love Nova Launcher.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't happen to run it ATM but I'll install it and let you know if I can correlate that behavior.

FWIW I was running Action Launcher (3) but when I updated to 8.0 my battery life took a turn for the worse. After some investigation I uninstalled Action Launcher and the problem went away. I did not follow my usual steps (Factory Reset and reinstall from scratch) since I've needed it functional for work but when I get a chance I'll go that route as well.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! My battery life seems to be better without the launcher, but I don't like how big the icons are on my home screen. I don't see a way to change them. I did not do a factory reset.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I can't correlate the behavior you described. Currently at 4% and the phone is still on. Nova has been the default Launcher for the last couple of hours.
66fdb023775190471b87244911b1f12e.jpg

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for running that test! Wonder why when I run Nova it crashes at 14%? I guess maybe there is another app that is interfering with it??? I've tested it a couple of times and got the crash each time. I've been running the stock launcher and no crashes.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hard to say. Without duplicating your Nova settings there's no way to tell if a particular setting is causing that (I can't imagine why any given setting would cause that - they all seem rather benign) and as for other 3rd party applications, it's rather odd that they wouldn't interact with the stock Launcher in the same fashion.
Sorry.

TrackFan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I've run Nova launcher since I've owned the phone and never experienced the phone-shutdown-on-low-batt thing at all.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Hard to say. Without duplicating your Nova settings there's no way to tell if a particular setting is causing that (I can't imagine why any given setting would cause that - they all seem rather benign) and as for other 3rd party applications, it's rather odd that they wouldn't interact with the stock Launcher in the same fashion.
Sorry.

Thanks for the feedback. I just have the free Nova Launcher, so I don't really have any fancy settings on it. Who knows what is interfering! And I don't know that I have the time or wherewithal to figure it out. At least my phone stopped crashing, which was more of an issue than anything else.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Never heard of such an issue. Just a thought, do you have any battery/power saver feature enabled? If so, confirm that Nova is whitelisted.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of such an issue. Just a thought, do you have any battery/power saver feature enabled? If so, confirm that Nova is whitelisted.

No, I do not have any battery saver features turned on. When I use Nova Launcher, my phone crashes anywhere from 15% ~ 30%. When I don't use Nova Launcher, I get no crashes and the normal Low Battery notification. Totally weird!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you should try a different 3rd party Launcher. If the problem doesn't occur with it then you could at least email the Nova developer and explain what's happening.

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm this is interesting. I run Nova and my 6P shuts down around 40% or less but more so when I use the camera or flashlight app.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
What finally fixed it was uninstalling Nova launcher and then reinstalling fresh. Do not use a backup file. Then when my battery would get down to 15%, I would get the low battery notice. I have since replaced my battery and the phone is working much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34