Nexus 6p - If I Replace My Battery....

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

.... Will all my woes go away? My phone was great until it started losing juice like mad. The more it loses, the faster it goes. Then, seconds after the 15% warning, she shuts down.

I know there's supposedly a base issue with the model, and that if this started 2 months ago, Google would've replaced my phone. So I'm wondering if other Nexus 6p owners have experiences they can relate.

My husband and in-laws all have iPhones. They've had practically no hardware issues, while my last three phones (this, and Galaxies 5 and 3) all had a solid year, and then nothing but problems. Sticking with Android is starting to become financially irresponsible, and I hate that. It is DEFINITELY the best OS, but I'm sick to death of the hardware.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If you're still under warranty, you could do an RMA. If it's past warranty, most phone repair places can replace the battery for you for around the same cost of replacing a display (roughly $80 in my area). My 6P is having similar issues as yours and is past warranty. I picked up a replacement battery and DIY'ing in the next few days. From what I've read from most people, the battery replacement gave theirs a new lease on life.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could replace it with an LG V20. Last flagship phone with a removable battery.
You can probably pick one up for $300 or so.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just gonna say that iPhones aren't immune to issues. From within the last couple months:

Why iOS 11 is draining your iPhone's battery life
iOS 11.0.1 update causes havoc for some iPhone and iPad users | ZDNet
https://drfone.wondershare.com/ios-11/ios-11-update-bricks-iphone.html

But the battery issue on the Nexus 6P and the bootloop issues on the 5X are unacceptable. I did swap my battery and it was great. Made it like-new again and cost $60 from a local repair shop. I didn't have the random shutdown issue fortunately, but the battery health was about 70% and it was draining fast. A new battery sorted my problem.

dak74

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue (fast drain and shutdown at 15%-30%) start about a month ago, I just took the phone to a uBreakiFix store. They said this issue was very common and they tried replacing the battery with a variety of new batteries, and none of them fixed the issue of shutdown.

I phoned Huawei, and I mentioned the uBreakiFix attempt, and at first they said that if anyone opened the back at all they would not even take the device back. They then checked my IMEI and my warranty was up in July this year, so they would charge me $151 for the repair. I did not buy the phone from google store, but I tried phoning them on the off chance they would exchange/repair but they would not.

I have had Nexus phones before (Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 5) and even RMA'd a repair with LG, but never really had the same issue as with Huawei where I feel the phone has a fundamental flaw they just don't want to take responsibility for.

I don't know now if I should pay $151 and hope it fixes it or is it throwing good money after bad.

eckster

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue you described. Phone lost juice very quick and moments after it would hit around 12% battery the phone would shut off without warning. It was very frustrating to use.

I had the battery replaced by The Device Shop (The Device Shop - Reparing iPhones, iPads, Macs & More). They ordered a OEM battery and the replacement took about half an hour. Once replaced the phone has been great. Now when the phone gets down to 10% I get a low battery warning and the phone won't shut down until it is completely empty.

Overall, well worth the $65 it cost me for a new battery to be installed. It is no longer frustrating to use my phone and it lasts almost two full days. Much better than spending boat loads for a new phone.

dak74

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I am going to try that store instead and see what it does I don't trust Huawei anymore than these stores to do the right thing and certainly not for twice the money.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would say it's well worth it. The lifecycle of the battery is really the only weakness and a fresh pack will make a world of difference.

TrackFan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
My 6P is still working just fine (about 14 months old) but I will say that Apple hardware seems worlds better (more reliable) than the Android hardware I've owned. My wife and daughter are both Iphone users and those phones (and especially their batteries) last forever. My previous phones were Galaxies and I couldn't keep a battery in there for more than 6 or 8 months before it was cooked.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
^^^That may have more to do with everything on an iPhone is optimized very well. It doesn't historically have the fastest processor, but coupled with iOS, hardware, battery that's all fined tuned together, it works much more efficiently than most comparable Android devices. The direction Google is taking with the Pixel line now hopefully will have that kind of efficiency.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Bought a battery on Amazon and then got it installed from a local place from a guy who specializes in 6P's (I got lucky). I has the exact same problems you described (shutdown and fast drain) but now I'm happy to say they're gone. And all it cost me was around $45. Well worth it!

ncapp11

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm bringing my wife's phone tons local shop for a new battery as she has ben experiencing the same issues. This is my first time having a phone repaired and I was wondering if they will need to turn on and unlock the phone during the process? If so I assume most people wipe the phone prior to avoid any data theft? Any input is appreciated.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
.... Will all my woes go away? My phone was great until it started losing juice like mad. The more it loses, the faster it goes. Then, seconds after the 15% warning, she shuts down.

I know there's supposedly a base issue with the model, and that if this started 2 months ago, Google would've replaced my phone. So I'm wondering if other Nexus 6p owners have experiences they can relate.

My husband and in-laws all have iPhones. They've had practically no hardware issues, while my last three phones (this, and Galaxies 5 and 3) all had a solid year, and then nothing but problems. Sticking with Android is starting to become financially irresponsible, and I hate that. It is DEFINITELY the best OS, but I'm sick to death of the hardware.

It seems more hardware it l related than anything. Just a reminder that the phone was made by Huawei and 2017 batteries and CPU/software has gotten much better. Problem with IOS is they always force an update on you and after the 2nd year, you'll notice the phone slowing down (strategic marketing move by Apple). I'd say try Android again, and buy a phone with a Snapdragon 835 and see how your experience is.

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I opened mine up and replaced the battery myself. It was a really tough repair. Ended up scratching the case up a bit in a couple of places. The new battery cost less than 20 bucks and did help a lot. Having said that even with a new battery the battery life was not good. i ended up giving the phone to my daughter and got an iphone 6s plus. The battery life is more than double what I got with the 6P even with a new battery. I do miss android though.

RolandStone

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know a place in Los Angeles or Southern California area that will do a 6p battery replacement? UBreakIFix refused saying they don't do Nexus 6p's anymore because of "the motherboard issue". My phone does NOT have the "motherboard" or "bootloop" issue (at least not yet.) Accubattery shows my battery health at 76 percent but it is starting to do the early shutdown thing. I want to hold on to this phone until the Pixel 3 comes out. If you know any replacement service shop in L.A. please let me know. Thanks.