Volume button defaults to media control

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Nexus 6P - Recently, my phone volume changes to media as the default control, instead of the ringer volume. I fix this by turning the phone on and off, but for some reason, it happens again. I haven't been able to isolate what app is causing this. Is anyone having/had this problem, and found a fix for it?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying that when the phone is idle on the homescreen, the Volume buttons still control Media, and not Ringtone volume?

When this happens, tap the Recent Apps button and see which apps might still be open in RAM. Try swiping the recent ones away one by one, and see if the Volume button starts controlling Ringtone after each app is swiped away.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Try booting into Safe mode - if the volume controls work normally there (controlling the ringtone volume) then you have some 3rd party application interfering with normal operation. Probably some media player or music streaming app.

immobile

Nov 3, 2009
www.cnet.com
I had the same issue on my Note 8. On your phone it will probably have a different wordage as far as the target destination, but on my device I went thru Settings / Sounds and Vibration / "Use Volume Keys For Media". Then simply remove the Check Mark, providing it has a Check Mark in it.

giverny

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
If anyone still searching this, try this:
Settings >Sounds and Vibration > Volume, then look at or near the bottom and uncheck 'Use volume keys for media'.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance