Nexus 6P fast charging stopped working with USB-C to C - slow charging works fine with USB-A to C

PeterNil

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
When it stopped working, I ordered a new cable USB-C to C cable and block that according to Amazon is from Huawei (5V, 3 A): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JILK1L0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The problem remained.

It charges fine connected to the laptop, in the car or an Anker battery. Using a USB-A to C cable.

I tried to reboot in safe mode, wiped the cache. Blew the USB-C female connector at the phone with dry air. No change.

The phone is running Android 8.0.0.

PeterNil

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
One repair person thinks it may require a new board. Which could be up to $200 beyond what I would invest in a repair of an 3+ year old phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't spend any amount for a repair, over-and-above what you already spent for the new power brick and cable, just to get fast charging working. As long as basic charging works you should be good to go.
With that said, I've encountered strange problems with fast charging behavior on this device. A couple of months after I purchased mine it no longer reported 'fast charging' with the original cable and power brick. I contacted Google Support and they had me order a replacement from the Google Store which they just credited back to me (I ordered the bigger two port charger since they were out of stock on the smaller one). After it arrived I checked it with my original cable and it worked as expected. I then checked my original charging brick with the original cable and it was suddenly working again. A few months later the newer (bigger) brick stopped reporting fast charging with the original cable but the original brick still worked with that cable. I purchased a Benson-approved cable and then all the cables and bricks worked fine regardless of how I mixed them around. Sigh.