Who is interested in the Nokia 3?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
There's the idea, prevalent among most manufacturers, that the smaller options of a range of phones have to have lesser specs, instead of simply being....smaller. I'd have liked this to be a 4.3"-4.5" device, with the FPS and other good stuff of the larger devices.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
If I were looking for a phone in that price range, it'd definitely be the Nokia 3. Premium build quality, beautiful design, and a stock Android experience? No reason not to sign up.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Maybe for my kids. I'm eyeing this and possibly the Moto C
Moto C Plus will be the better option. Bigger battery and cheaper.
But if Nokia 3 has better build quality than you could make a case for it but otherwise i don't think it stands much of a chance against Moto C and G5($180).

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Phone launched in India for 9500 (approx $145).
Mediatek 6737 chipset with 2gb ram and 16gb storage.
Quite overpriced as Redmi 4 offers SD435 and fingerprint sensor as well for 7000( $110).
Won't sell at this price. Dumb people do buy such phones but that's only due to marketing which Nokia hasn't done for these phones.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I will be looking at this one. Not happy with the processor or plastic build.

The build quality is actually amazing. Even the polycarbonate back is not cheap at all. If you've ever held a Nokia Lumia 930, it will feel very similar.

Unfortunately it's the only thing the phone has going for it. Everything else is pretty terrible, from stock Android to the lag.

infinidim

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
The build quality is actually amazing. Even the polycarbonate back is not cheap at all. If you've ever held a Nokia Lumia 930, it will feel very similar.

Unfortunately it's the only thing the phone has going for it. Everything else is pretty terrible, from stock Android to the lag.

I think the update strategy is a really good point for all the Nokia / HMD phones. I am still looking at the 5 and the 6 currently.

Infinidim

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I think the update strategy is a really good point for all the Nokia / HMD phones. I am still looking at the 5 and the 6 currently.

Infinidim

I would rather them doing a Nokia skin and adding all the basic features (not duplicate apps) that stock Android lacks like a decent theme engine to access the theme engine Sony offered the AOSP project and that is actually present on all stock Android devices (if you root your phone, Substratum can access that theme engine) or a decent multi-tasking screen (unlike the original splitview provided by Samsung, stock Android doesn't give you a list of app to open when you enter split screen).

On stock Android yeah, updates are very important. But that's because stock Android is playing catch us to decent versions of the OS offered by Samsung and LG (even if not always well optimised).

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Infinidim
I still don't trust Nokia that they will provide Android O for Nokia 3.
Many companies have lied about updates before. Nokia 5 and 6 will get it for sure but Nokia 3 is suspect.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I still don't trust Nokia that they will provide Android O for Nokia 3.
Many companies have lied about updates before. Nokia 5 and 6 will get it for sure but Nokia 3 is suspect.

Nokia always delivered on their promises.
Problem here being that this is HMD, not actually Nokia. So they still have to prove that they actually kept the spirit they had when they were officially part of Nokia. So far, I don't think so.

For example, I did something I NEVER did before, even less to a Nokia device: I returned the Nokia 3.

The build quality is amazing and the LCD screen, considering it's LCD and in a phone that costs 170€, is great...but that's it. Everything else is just horrendous. The thing lagged and froze out of nowhere, the camera was utter crap...the experience just wasn't good.

And without root, it was impossible to salvage the phone. So back to the store it went.

That alone doesn't make me too optimistic about the future Nokia phones done by HMD if they keep following this path. Even if they deliver updates on time.

cal60

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site

On stock Android yeah, updates are very important. But that's because stock Android is playing catch us to decent versions of the OS offered by Samsung and LG (even if not always well optimised).

I tried a MotoG4 for almost 12 months primarily to avail of the update strategy ( being close to stock Android) . However I really missed things like a separate "phone" account i.e. contacts stored on phone only , not in the cloud. Eventually sold the Moto and fell back to my old Xperia J whilst I ponder what to do next . I was attracted by the Nokia 3 ( I think anything with a display over 5" is too big) but am definitely put off by the reports of lagginess

The choice seems to be "stock android" and a relatively good update strategy versus a manufacturers skinned android to enhance stock which then causes delays in getting updates :'(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463