https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/1...id-11-roadmap/

I was under the impression when I bought this in early 2019 that it would get at least a couple years worth of version updates. Am I missing something?
    10-08-2020 10:41 AM
    I would think with the similarities to the N6.2, the N7.1 wouldn't be much effort to upgrade. As I recall Nokia only said 2 upgrades and then shipped with 8/Oreo with an almost immediate upgrade to 9/Pie. That left owners wondering if the 9/Pie upgrade counted, and now we have our answer - yes. So now we know how Nokia plays the upgrade game. Too bad for Nokia they are now competing with better midrangers from Pixel, Samsung, and OnePlus.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-08-2020 11:33 AM
    No. Not for the 7.1. Nokia Mobile/HMD Global released their Android 11 roadmap and the 7.1 isn't there. But interestingly enough, the 8.1 and 9 PureView are included...see the link below...

https://nokiamob.net/2020/10/08/offi...et-android-11/
    10-10-2020 08:11 AM
    What a shame that Androids tend to have so few upgrades compared to Apple.
    10-10-2020 08:42 AM
    The 7.1 was schedules to get Android One up to Android 10. It was never scheduled to get 11. (That's still 2 full upgrades, which is standard for the industry.)
    10-10-2020 03:22 PM
    What a shame that Androids tend to have so few upgrades compared to Apple.
    Isn't it weird how that happens? My in-laws' iPhones could be a few generations old and still get updates... I guess that's how the cookies crumble...
    10-10-2020 03:24 PM
    Android updates are done by the hardware manufacturers. Apple updates are done by Apple. Google could easily keep Pixels (or whatever the next Google phone will be) updated nearly forever - I guess they're just doing what other Android phone vendors are doing. (It's just a matter of [now with seamless update] adding the phone's vendor file to the ROM. Some people on XDA might be playing with that. [Unless they consider it too trivial.])
    10-11-2020 03:23 PM
    The 7.1 was schedules to get Android One up to Android 10. It was never scheduled to get 11. (That's still 2 full upgrades, which is standard for the industry.)
    Thanks for the context - I hadn't realized that they said that explicitly. More on me for getting my expectations up. I did buy it in April 2019 but guess it had already been out for a while before that.
    10-12-2020 08:16 PM
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/1...id-11-roadmap/

I was under the impression when I bought this in early 2019 that it would get at least a couple years worth of version updates. Am I missing something?
    If you want the absolute longest and most dependable updates for android, security and os, get a pixel, any pixel, even the cheapest.... they all get EXACTLY the same updates. No punishing you for buying a cheaper model like Moto/Samsung/Nokia etc. Google even ADDED a free os upgrade for the original pixel to 10.... what other android phone maker would do that? None lol.

That's why I buy pixels ;-)
    10-13-2020 03:18 AM
    Yes, Nokia do work the OS upgrade to suite themselves by releasing a device with an OS lower than currently available but at least they do fulfill their obligations. I've had my 7.1 for almost two years now and have no complaints. The security updates arrive in a constant timely manner and I was well aware of the OS situation from the start.

Anyway, there is no major difference between the last few OS updates, so I really don't see what the problem is here. I've had Android 10 for over 9 months now and this phone won't get 11 but I will be upgrading sometime next year so I'm not really missing out.

As I said, I've had my 7.1 since launch and it's been absolutely fantastic and still performs pretty much as it did from new.

I some ways, I wish it would start to play up to give me an excuse to upgrade.
    10-16-2020 07:47 PM
    Yes, Nokia do work the OS upgrade to suite themselves by releasing a device with an OS lower than currently available but at least they do fulfill their obligations. I've had my 7.1 for almost two years now and have no complaints. The security updates arrive in a constant timely manner and I was well aware of the OS situation from the start.

Anyway, there is no major difference between the last few OS updates, so I really don't see what the problem is here. I've had Android 10 for over 9 months now and this phone won't get 11 but I will be upgrading sometime next year so I'm not really missing out.

As I said, I've had my 7.1 since launch and it's been absolutely fantastic and still performs pretty much as it did from new.

I some ways, I wish it would start to play up to give me an excuse to upgrade.
    As far as I know I think Nokia Mobile will have another announcement for new devices on October 22. I think this time around it will be the 7.3 and the next iteration of the 6 line.
    10-18-2020 08:19 AM
    As far as I know I think Nokia Mobile will have another announcement for new devices on October 22. I think this time around it will be the 7.3 and the next iteration of the 6 line.
    Yes, you are correct. I'm looking forward to both of these releases from HMD Global. I would really like the 7.3 5g but don't want to pay the additional premium for 5g which is of no use to me for the foreseeable future. It will be interesting to see the final specs of the new 6.3. My wife has the 6.2 and that is a pretty good device for the money.
    10-18-2020 11:24 AM
    Here's my view of it, I paid a measly $210 for a brand new 7.1 recently. It already had 10 on it and it runs fantastic. It will continue to run great for a long time. Apple offers many yearly OS upgrades, but once you're a few upgrades out of date, plenty of apps are no longer available and stop updating, whereas in Android, apps seem to last 4 or 5 OS's so I don't care if 10 is the last upgrade. I just want things to work, and not break the bank on me.
    10-19-2020 09:13 AM
    Here's my view of it, I paid a measly $210 for a brand new 7.1 recently. It already had 10 on it and it runs fantastic. It will continue to run great for a long time. Apple offers many yearly OS upgrades, but once you're a few upgrades out of date, plenty of apps are no longer available and stop updating, whereas in Android, apps seem to last 4 or 5 OS's so I don't care if 10 is the last upgrade. I just want things to work, and not break the bank on me.
    Exactly. Spot on.
    10-19-2020 09:23 AM
    Yep I've been using a tablet for streaming/bedtime reading that was running KitKat 4.4.2, and it just recently started having trouble running apps. That's old. You should be able to run anything on 10 until the phone dies or you get bored and want something new
    10-20-2020 04:40 AM
    That's sadly how Android phones become obsolete so fast. This is probably the main reason why I think of switching to the iOS
    10-20-2020 02:16 PM