November Security Patch is Out!!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Bummed.
Phone said update available and it is the November Security Patch.
Still happy that updates are frequent, but I guess it was wishful thinking it was Android 10.

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
Yep. Got it a few days ago. I also got the opportunity to play around with and try out Android 10 on a Pixel 4 in the wild.

I don't care about the Pixel but was interested in the new OS. While there are some differences (the almost exclusive gestures based UI) it's not all too foreign from Android 9 Pie. Android 10 is almost like a souped up and refreshed version.

I didn't find the gestures awkward at all. It didn't take long to get accustomed to them. Especially if you have been already using the gestures on Android 9, then you are pretty much there.

The system wide dark mode and themes are most welcome. A blessing for my eyes.

One other feature, though it might sound ridiculous, that I liked is that now you can swipe down anywhere on the screen to scroll down the top menu/shortcuts. It wasn't available until now, which is weird. I had that on my previous BlackBerry DTEK 50 running Android 6 Marshmallow...😲...

I think that we should get the Android 10 (Quaaludes) OS update on the 7.1 in December. Hopefully sooner.

FYI, if you are a previous BlackBerry 10 user, Android 10 is nothing like it in terms of architecture and build. It doesn't have the same smoothness and flow. There is no Hub and the "peek" function is rather simplistic and rudimentary. But who knows, future tweaks and updates turn may Android 10 at least into as close a version of BB10 as possible.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
FYI, if you are a previous BlackBerry 10 user, Android 10 is nothing like it in terms of architecture and build. It doesn't have the same smoothness and flow. There is no Hub and the "peek" function is rather simplistic and rudimentary. But who knows, future tweaks and updates turn may Android 10 at least into as close a version of BB10 as possible.

Android 10 is alive, BB10 is not.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Sure. But there would be nothing wrong with adopting some of the BB 10 features for Android 10. It would at least make it more use friendly than the lame brain ones Apple is offering...
Forget all about BB10, it died ages ago and most of us haved moved on.

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
Forget all about BB10, it died ages ago and most of us haved moved on.

Have they shut it down yet? I mean is the OS around anymore?!

I'd never go back to BlackBerry. The company is just not worthy and hasn't been for a long time. TCL to whom they licenced their devices to is a horrible company as well. And BlackBerry Android devices just aren't worth investing into either.

If you think about it BlackBerry really died back in 2007/08...

Last edited:

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
Like what, the hub?

Well, the Hub, peek and swipe, the Privacy Shade (that was on the BlackDroid OS) app or some version of it...

Bah...it's just me talking. What I've already seen on the Android 10 on a Pixel is not bad at all though. This is mostly wishful thinking on my part.

Besides...I'd never go back to BlackBerry regardless. Even their BlackDroid devices sucked and were overpriced when let's say compared to what Nokia has been putting out.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, the Hub, peek and swipe, the Privacy Shade (that was on the BlackDroid OS) app or some version of it...

Bah...it's just me talking. What I've already seen on the Android 10 on a Pixel is not bad at all though. This is mostly wishful thinking on my part.

Besides...I'd never go back to BlackBerry regardless. Even their BlackDroid devices sucked and were overpriced when let's say compared to what Nokia has been putting out.

BB10 was sweet because it was the first to come out with those things. It felt cutting edge but couldn’t compete.
Now iOS and Android have swipe and gestures. Peek, etc. were nice but nothing I used much. Like you said the BBdroid devices were overpriced and never had a chance.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Have they shut it down yet? I mean is the OS around anymore?!

I'd never go back to BlackBerry. The company is just not worthy and hasn't been for a long time. TCL to whom they licenced their devices to is a horrible company as well. And BlackBerry Android devices just aren't worth investing into either.

If you think about it BlackBerry really died back in 2007/08...
They're the best option if you want a physical keyboard.

The only two other alternatives in that respect are the UniHertz Titan and the F(x) Tec Pro 1

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
You’ll never stop looking for a PKB phone, will you?
Will always be on the lookout for them

Right now my PKB to slab ratio is acceptable as I have a KEY2, two LE's, a KEYone BE, and the only slab is the S10e.

Maybe another Titan will join the PKB forces lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12