NIB Nokia 7 Plus stuck on 1st August 2018 patch, and OS 8.1 after 8 days use.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Anyone experience this level of delay for initial updates out of the box, particularly with Android One.
I know it's a run out model.

Nokia support lady today (waited 8 days) first helpfully suggested clearing cache and data from Play Services (new layout for me after Nougat but managed it) and restart with Vol up + Power hold.

Second Chat guy eventually said it may take several weeks.

Nonsense?

Any suggestions?

John Lewis UK sealed on sale.

I see Nokia 7 Plus forum thread posters here at least got later patches and Pie. Nokia UK sales website advertises Nokia 7 Plus with Android Pie.

ex Madd54

Invictus0

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Anyone experience this level of delay for initial updates out of the box, particularly with Android One.
I know it's a run out model.

Nokia support lady today (waited 8 days) first helpfully suggested clearing cache and data from Play Services (new layout for me after Nougat but managed it) and restart with Vol up + Power hold.

Second Chat guy eventually said it may take several weeks.

Nonsense?

Any suggestions?

John Lewis UK sealed on sale.

I see Nokia 7 Plus forum thread posters here at least got later patches and Pie. Nokia UK sales website advertises Nokia 7 Plus with Android Pie.

ex Madd54

Try doing a "checkin"?

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-force-your-android-phone-to-check-for-a-system-u-5719657

If that still doesn't work, are you able to exchange the device for another one? The 7 Plus should be on the June 2019 update.

anon(10615541)

Jun 30, 2019
Visit site
Thank you both. Rukbat always a true gent, thank you.
I don't want to side step OTA updates, though it may be fine I have no experience.

Thank you Invictus0, that was interesting, but like a comment in that thread it wouldn't quite work.

I'm inclined to agree with this AC poster in the Nokia 8 forum that some new devices sitting on the shelves for 6 months can be screwed, which is something that should be addressed.

Someone had to download each patch and reboot when they were finally offered.

I'll see if the John Lewis store's online technical support will agree to accept it back. It is still on the August 2018 patch and 8.1. Nokia pretended to help but I'm guessing they know it's a lost cause.

Read this before I'm disappeared again :D

Sirocco sales are not that spectacular. Most likely that set you bought had been on the shelf on stock for 6 months in switched off mode. So - no updates.
As to Pie, it will come when it comes. For sure it will come, lot of chatter about when. There is no published timeframe, and Nokia has burnt its fingers once doing that.

Above being said, I, too own a Sirocco and otherwise like it.

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried seeking an update with and without a SIM card? I have heard that network providers can stall software updates, but perhaps that is an old wives tale.
My Nokia 7 Plus is on Pie and has just received the July security patch. Updates have been pretty regular and I purchased this as 'boxed new' about 4-5 months back. It quickly updated to Pie, and monthly security releases have been coming through regular. I'm WiFi only with my 7 plus.