Would you buy a phone from Nokia at flagship pricing?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Although the phone looks interesting, I really have a hard time considering paying flagship pricing on a Nokia phone... Now if it sold in the price of say OnePlus or ZTE Axon 7 then I would be more likely to consider it.

What about you?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not until it's proven. The first generation, no way. If they truly support the first generation and then fix the design, I'll consider the second generation.

Joe920

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
If it has all the specs I want, if Google keeps pricing their 128GB models upward of $700, if Apple sticks with their decision to leave out the headphone jack (they will), I would probably pay up to $600. So almost flagship pricing.

IMO it needs to be quite a bit cheaper than the next Pixel, as in $150 cheaper, because the Pixel already has a good cam, a pure Android experience, and regular security updates, the three main things I want in an Android phone.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I obviously would. And I obviously will...once they actually release a true flagship.

I will NOT pay flagship prices for the Nokia 8 which is NOT a flagship at all. Not by Nokia standards itself. It lacks a ton of features that are typical of a real Nokia flagship like a dedicated camera button, an AMOLED display and wireless charging. Add to that the lack of an actually good camera app and software and that's enough for me to NOT recommend anyone to pay more than 400€ for the Nokia 8.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I find it hard to justify paying flagship rates at all; considering midrange phones do the job just as well - for me, anyway. I find that I don't need all the extra bells and whistles that flagships often showcase. However, I guess if I liked the Nokia (or any other flagship) enough and waited for the flagship price to go down a little (maybe during the holidays or a few months into its shelf life), I'd consider buying it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I obviously would. And I obviously will...once they actually release a true flagship.

I will NOT pay flagship prices for the Nokia 8 which is NOT a flagship at all. Not by Nokia standards itself. It lacks a ton of features that are typical of a real Nokia flagship like a dedicated camera button, an AMOLED display and wireless charging. Add to that the lack of an actually good camera app and software and that's enough for me to NOT recommend anyone to pay more than 400€ for the Nokia 8.
Agreed.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nokia needs to do a few things.

1) Get rid of all front branding and capacitive keys and front FPS - put that on the back.
2) Get into the top end specs game, which includes amazing camera PERFORMANCE (not words, performance), amazing audio and amazing display quality
3) Prove that you can push out a major firmware update within 72 hours of public release. We can nolonger pretend that you don't have access to it for a month or two in advance.
4) Prove that you're going to support these devices for 3 years.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
What Nokia had in their Lumia range should be the minimum. My L925 had wireless charging, amoled screen, nfc, excellent camera and app. These made the phone quality all those years ago and still quality now. Nokia know what they need to do to get back their fans and they need to do it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What Nokia had in their Lumia range should be the minimum. My L925 had wireless charging, amoled screen, nfc, excellent camera and app. These made the phone quality all those years ago and still quality now. Nokia know what they need to do to get back their fans and they need to do it.

That Nokia died though, we haven't seen yet if the new company can kick out a quality device. Hopefully they can

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Nokia needs to do a few things.

1) Get rid of all front branding and capacitive keys and front FPS - put that on the back.
2) Get into the top end specs game, which includes amazing camera PERFORMANCE (not words, performance), amazing audio and amazing display quality
3) Prove that you can push out a major firmware update within 72 hours of public release. We can nolonger pretend that you don't have access to it for a month or two in advance.
4) Prove that you're going to support these devices for 3 years.

I agree with this, however:

1) Front branding won't go away. The Nokia branding is what sells the phones in the first place. And when they're on display, the brand needs to be there for consumers to know.

3) I've got the September security update on the Nokia 5 on the 5th of September, before Google even publish the release notes, let alone push it to Nexus and iPixel devices. So...I don't think updates are a problem. Major software updates can't be released within 72 hours. You have to ALWAYS optimise it for the hardware it's going to be working on because not all hardware is created equal.
If they release it within the 1st month after Google release it to OEMs, I think that's fair and pretty good.

4) They aren't. They never said they would. They will support them for 2 years. Which is the time the European legal warranty lasts. They've always said that and so far they're doing it. Though I really doubt the Nokia 3 will get Android 9.0. But that's because of the MediaTek processor and nothing else.

That Nokia died though, we haven't seen yet if the new company can kick out a quality device. Hopefully they can

The build quality on the Nokia 3, 5, 6 and 8 IS on par with Nokia's standards. So the quality is there. But the Nokia 8 lacks pretty much all the hallmarks of a true Nokia flagship, yeah.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
That won't happen as long as there are bezels on the front of the phone.
I have zero problems with branding on the front. I've a bigger issue with the lack of innovation on a phone.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Bezels I can live with as long as they are not too big. If anything I wish some of these new phones coming out would be slightly wider and a little less tall. I'd rather have extra screen real estate on the sides vs top to bottom. Not a fan of the narrow look

TheFunMachine

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm more than willing to buy it.
Switching from W10M here, and in fact, I'm in the US so which market should I look at to buy it cheapest should it not come to my country? Which, so far, it doesn't look like it will...

Currently, I held out on switching to android because all of the phones always lacked something I consider important, this phone checks all of the boxes for me...
LCD screen, good looks (I like some bezel on the top and bottom), battery of at least 3000mAh, internals that will last comparatively so, stock Android, etc.
Just my luck that it probably won't be available in the US, and next year's update will likely follow the bezel-less trend (which isn't so bad) with an AMOLED screen (which is bad to me).

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm more than willing to buy it.
Switching from W10M here, and in fact, I'm in the US so which market should I look at to buy it cheapest should it not come to my country? Which, so far, it doesn't look like it will...

Currently, I held out on switching to android because all of the phones always lacked something I consider important, this phone checks all of the boxes for me...
LCD screen, good looks (I like some bezel on the top and bottom), battery of at least 3000mAh, internals that will last comparatively so, stock Android, etc.
Just my luck that it probably won't be available in the US, and next year's update will likely follow the bezel-less trend (which isn't so bad) with an AMOLED screen (which is bad to me).

The Nokia 8 will be made available in the US. You should expect it by Christmas time though, since the US market isn't a priority for HMD (understandably so).

If you want to import it...I think it will be really irrelevant. The phone is overpriced in Europe and overpriced in the UK. And both the Euro and the British Pound are worth more than the Dollar which means you really have to look at which currency is offering the better exchange rate and from where will you pay less import taxes when getting it from the US.

csetoue

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why so many people don't think it's a flagship.

It just have the best LCD of the market, the best signal reception on the market and a very nice technology of audio recording.

From this generation, I think the best overall phones are U11 and Nokia 8.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why so many people don't think it's a flagship.

It just have the best LCD of the market, the best signal reception on the market and a very nice technology of audio recording.

From this generation, I think the best overall phones are U11 and Nokia 8.
The best LCD on the market? Far from it. Where did you get that idea?

Toby Barrett

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I just did! Not really bothered in getting into the is it / isn't it a flagship argument. It has some good specs - although not the highest on the market but neither is it the most expensive.

I've switched from Windows Phone (going nowhere) to Android. What attracted me? A decent camera, close-to stock Android, good screen, a good price and good build quality.

Joe920

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I just did! Not really bothered in getting into the is it / isn't it a flagship argument. It has some good specs - although not the highest on the market but neither is it the most expensive.

I've switched from Windows Phone (going nowhere) to Android. What attracted me? A decent camera, close-to stock Android, good screen, a good price and good build quality.
Awesome, do you already have it? Any early impressions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20