Has anyone bought the Nokia 8?

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Does the Nokia 8 have any color tuner or display adjustments like moving to FHD/1080p or Night mode? I am big on displays, and would like to know more about how much control Nokia allows in the UI over the display. Thanks.

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I've just bought one today, the 64GB version, and I'm waiting for it to be delivered as my Nexus 5X passed away on Wednesday :'(

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Received it today. Some initial impressions.
Great little phone. Seems T-Mobile US still gets wifi-calling for it despite it being an international model (TA-1052). It's also lacking some of the LTE bands of course. I've yet to fully test the telephony capabilities though. Out and about 4g calls do OK... The speaker is plenty loud, like really loud. Loud as in I hear my notifications across the whole house loud.

The screen is really bright. Which is good for me out in the AZ sun. The 700 nits is easily obtained. The colors on it seem a bit saturated but not too much. Having no display calibration or even a sound equalizer is a slight set back for me. It has night mode though :). Scrolling is buttery smooth with probably zero stutter or lag.

Build quality is superb. Excellent design and as far as asthetics go one handed use works well and easily for me. I am normally a Lumia 950 XL user and that phone for me is fairly easy to use with one hand. The Nokia 8 is slimmer and about the same height/length which makes it even easier to use and handle. Two total different UIs though, so I really should be comparing it to another Android device in that regard...

The typical Nokia DTtW and Glance screen work as they should and are perfect features for it. Basic Android (or pure Android with no added software overlay or skin) works fast and fluidly on it. It updated to 8.1 as I set it up...I've yet to go even a full day on the device and so far the battery seems as good as expected.

The finger print reader is a bit disappointing though. It seems to inaccurately read my finger sometimes causing me to have to slowly place my print on it or tap the reader a second time in a different position.

Overall no real complaints though.

I will add more here to this post if something comes up that I feel others might need to know, good or bad.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Received it today. Some initial impressions.
Great little phone. Seems T-Mobile US still gets wifi-calling for it despite it being an international model (TA-1052). It's also lacking some of the LTE bands of course. I've yet to fully test the telephony capabilities though. Out and about 4g calls do OK... The speaker is plenty loud, like really loud. Loud as in I hear my notifications across the whole house loud.

The screen is really bright. Which is good for me out in the AZ sun. The 700 nits is easily obtained. The colors on it seem a bit saturated but not too much. Having no display calibration or even a sound equalizer is a slight set back for me. It has night mode though :). Scrolling is buttery smooth with probably zero stutter or lag.

Build quality is superb. Excellent design and as far as asthetics go one handed use works well and easily for me. I am normally a Lumia 950 XL user and that phone for me is fairly easy to use with one hand. The Nokia 8 is slimmer and about the same height/length which makes it even easier to use and handle. Two total different UIs though, so I really should be comparing it to another Android device in that regard...

The typical Nokia DTtW and Glance screen work as they should and are perfect features for it. Basic Android (or pure Android with no added software overlay or skin) works fast and fluidly on it. It updated to 8.1 as I set it up...I've yet to go even a full day on the device and so far the battery seems as good as expected.

The finger print reader is a bit disappointing though. It seems to inaccurately read my finger sometimes causing me to have to slowly place my print on it or tap the reader a second time in a different position.

Overall no real complaints though.

I will add more here to this post if something comes up that I feel others might need to know, good or bad.

Excellent. I'm glad you like it.

I'm curious about the quality of the camera. I'd be interested in hearing how the camera performs in various conditions, especially in low light.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Excellent. I'm glad you like it.

I'm curious about the quality of the camera. I'd be interested in hearing how the camera performs in various conditions, especially in low light.
Hi Laura!
So far it's not shabby, but it is no 950 XL. I have not done any low light shots yet. I was looking for a thread specifically on the camera/review of its photos but had not seen one here yet. I can add more detail on the camera(s) from my perspective as soon as I have time to use it more. I am not camera power user of course, but will give my 2 cents :).

For starters. I did have autofocus issues while shooting video, but only after zooming. Or if a bit too much light came into focus. Not a huge deal but it forced me to adjust my physical position a bit. Or to try to manually focus the scene. I shared that in another thread since it seems to be a known quirk. The Nokia 8 does a fairly good job taking pics, although being a regular 950 XL user I would prefer the Lumia over this currently. Comparisons on other sites have shown that it is not what most would expect. However we might give it time. Nokia/HMD will hopefully refine what is already there, and as they fine tune the camera app to work on this device, or push their FW at some point (I hope) then I bet we see camera improvements at the least. It is their first dual camera model, right? Even though Nokia is building new devices on the Android platform it takes RnD like anything else. So I say as far as the cameras go, they are OK or good depending on your perspective, but we may need to give them time to see if they make it better. I'll give myself time too and see what I really think. Maybe their next step is releasing the Nokia ProCam App? I am sure they have a plan of attack or road map for the camera dept. all together. Will have to wait and see...

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi Laura!
So far it's not shabby, but it is no 950 XL. I have not done any low light shots yet. I was looking for a thread specifically on the camera/review of its photos but had not seen one here yet. I can add more detail on the camera(s) from my perspective as soon as I have time to use it more. I am not camera power user of course, but will give my 2 cents :).

For starters. I did have autofocus issues while shooting video, but only after zooming. Or if a bit too much light came into focus. Not a huge deal but it forced me to adjust my physical position a bit. Or to try to manually focus the scene. I shared that in another thread since it seems to be a known quirk. The Nokia 8 does a fairly good job taking pics, although being a regular 950 XL user I would prefer the Lumia over this currently. Comparisons on other sites have shown that it is not what most would expect. However we might give it time. Nokia/HMD will hopefully refine what is already there, and as they fine tune the camera app to work on this device, or push their FW at some point (I hope) then I bet we see camera improvements at the least. It is their first dual camera model, right? Even though Nokia is building new devices on the Android platform it takes RnD like anything else. So I say as far as the cameras go, they are OK or good depending on your perspective, but we may need to give them time to see if they make it better. I'll give myself time too and see what I really think. Maybe their next step is releasing the Nokia ProCam App? I am sure they have a plan of attack or road map for the camera dept. all together. Will have to wait and see...

I have to agree with you as I also use a 950XL.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Laura!

Thanks, Nate W. I'm curious if further updates will improve the camera.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Nate W. I'm curious if further updates will improve the camera.

I would hope so. It is in Nokia/HMDs court now to do so as needed. The camera is not that bad but again I am not a very good critic on this subject. The two main things are focus and low light. I think they will try to improve them.

Acfiris

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
Bought Nokia 8 last March.
PROS:
simple, fine lines
No pre- installed irritating apps
at first, celfone signal was strong

CONS:
wifi and Bluetooth automatically turns off
After a month, speaker didn't work; had to surrender it for repair
After repair, Sim2 is not recognized (tried inserting other Sims in slot 2, to no avail)
Nokia support said must be bugs; have to wait at least a month for security update. After that, who knows what else will go bonkers.

Had high hopes for this, very very disappointed.

frankras

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
PROS:
simple, fine lines

CONS:
After repair, Sim2 is not recognized (tried inserting other Sims in slot 2, to no avail)
Nokia support said must be bugs; have to wait at least a month for security update. After that, who knows what else will go bonkers.

Agree, simple fine line and very fast phone, smooth as butter. The cellphone signal was also strong. Lasted for ever on the battery.

Cons : bad sound in speaker, very thine sound and weak on call when I wanted to use the external speaker for phone calls. Sound was also bad when playing podcast and YouTube.

Camera, hoped for some more, consider its a flagship. Not actually bad, but close, compared to Nexus 5X and Galaxy S7.

I ended up selling my Nokia 8 and got a good deal on a Samsung Galaxy S7. Keeping S7 until I find something better.

Frank

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Agree, simple fine line and very fast phone, smooth as butter. The cellphone signal was also strong. Lasted for ever on the battery.

Cons : bad sound in speaker, very thine sound and weak on call when I wanted to use the external speaker for phone calls. Sound was also bad when playing podcast and YouTube.

Camera, hoped for some more, consider its a flagship. Not actually bad, but close, compared to Nexus 5X and Galaxy S7.

I ended up selling my Nokia 8 and got a good deal on a Samsung Galaxy S7. Keeping S7 until I find something better.

Frank

I haven't had any issues with the speaker on my Nokia 8, in fact I would say it's extremely loud compared to most phones out there.

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
PROS:
simple, fine lines

CONS:

SIM 2 not being recognised may not be a bug as not all versions of the Nokia 8 are dual SIM, you may find that second SIM slot is actually a microSD slot.

sarib khan

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi guys!
Just want to know if your Nokia 8 is working smoothly up till now as i have heard many rumors of its screen half dead and some mic issues. I planning to purchase nokia 8 this week and would definitly want some assurity over this issue as i don't want to waste my money if this issue is so common.