11-21-2018 08:08 AM
78 123 ...
tools
    Just wondering if anyone is using the Nokia 8? And if so what they think...

Reviews are starting to come in and I'm intrigued!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-22-2017 12:42 PM
    £499 in the UK and comes with a free Nokia steel watch...
    09-22-2017 12:49 PM
    I'd be curious to know that as well! It looks like a really nice and solid device.
    CTalman likes this.
    09-22-2017 02:19 PM
    Certainly looks nippy, but that's what you get from almost stock android.

Cameras have the potential to be good. Seems like there might be a slight autofocus issue but I'm sure that could be sorted in an update.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-22-2017 04:48 PM
    I'd like to hear some user impressions as well. I just cam across a video/audio sample from GSM Arena. Pretty darned good audio quality, given that they were recording what was likely a crazy loud concert. Put on some good headphones and listen to this:
    Not too bad!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-22-2017 08:58 PM
    I'd like to hear some user impressions as well. I just cam across a video/audio sample from GSM Arena. Pretty darned good audio quality, given that they were recording what was likely a crazy loud concert. Put on some good headphones and listen to this:
    Not too bad!
    I expect nothing less. So far no one else has ever beaten Nokia in terms of camera quality anyway. The 808 is still the best camera phone that ever existed.
    Morty2264 and milleniumdroid like this.
    09-22-2017 09:10 PM
    I bought one a week or so back. Previously have owned the Lumia 950 (and before that the 1020) which has a very good camera. I don't think the Nokia 8 is as good - although I haven't done any head-to-head comparisons - but it is not bad at all. Of course, phone cameras generally are better than ever before. When I had a Samsung S3 it was very noticeably poorer that the Lumia 1020 I got after it. Today, I think you really have to pixel-peep to decide between the manufacturers cameras - especially at "flagship" level.

Glad to hear the audio recording is good. I don't do it very often but a year or so back I recorded a bit of a gig on my 950 and a friend did on his iPhone (a 6 I think) and on playback you could hardly make anything out on his whereas the Lumia's footage was pretty clear.
    Joe920 and Morty2264 like this.
    09-25-2017 10:16 AM
    I bought one a week or so back. Previously have owned the Lumia 950 (and before that the 1020) which has a very good camera. I don't think the Nokia 8 is as good - although I haven't done any head-to-head comparisons - but it is not bad at all. Of course, phone cameras generally are better than ever before. When I had a Samsung S3 it was very noticeably poorer that the Lumia 1020 I got after it. Today, I think you really have to pixel-peep to decide between the manufacturers cameras - especially at "flagship" level.

Glad to hear the audio recording is good. I don't do it very often but a year or so back I recorded a bit of a gig on my 950 and a friend did on his iPhone (a 6 I think) and on playback you could hardly make anything out on his whereas the Lumia's footage was pretty clear.
    This sounds interesting, do you mind giving a short impression of the device/camera compared to a L950? (I am planning on buying one and there are so many different results, some say they are great and on par with the G6/Huawei P10, some don't even put it in the OnePlus5 category.
    Since the L950 trumps them all, do you see a huge difference? I currently own a L950 and a G4, and both of them are spectacular for images, so I am curious if I'll be losing something if I switch to the Nokia 8.
    09-26-2017 03:09 AM
    I was going to go for this but I'm holding out for 9 which should hopefully be coming around the corner very soon!
    Joe920 likes this.
    09-26-2017 07:00 AM
    Wait for the 9. This one is pointless.
    DJCBS likes this.
    09-26-2017 05:50 PM
    Wait for the 9. This one is pointless.
    Nonsense. If you need a new phone now then buy what's available now.
    09-28-2017 05:39 AM
    For those that may have this phone and I know it's going to vary depending on the carrier but how is the call quality and signal strength on this phone?
    09-28-2017 06:17 PM
    For those that may have this phone and I know it's going to vary depending on the carrier but how is the call quality and signal strength on this phone?
    It's very good, an improvement on the LG G6 on the same network. Calls come through loud and clear.
    09-29-2017 02:23 AM

Absolutely no problems. Not that I expected there to be.
    09-29-2017 03:20 AM
    Thank you! This will pretty much seal the deal for me on the upcoming Nokia 9 then
    sdc1 and Morty2264 like this.
    09-29-2017 07:04 AM
    Recently bought one for my partner and she loves it. I'm getting the Nokia 9 if the camera is a big improvement. Having said that, I have a Huawei P9 plus which is not a complete slouch in the camera quality department.

Grabbed a really cool sunset with both phones. Choose the photo you like. Straight out of phone, no processing.

Has anyone bought the Nokia 8?-sunset.jpg

Has anyone bought the Nokia 8?-sunset2.jpg

Personally, I can't see the benefit of the bothie capability, but I'm sure avid social media users will tease out the benefits if there are any. Maybe it will take Apple to have the feature before it becomes "magical" lol.

Stock Android is great if you value prompt updates and getting Android O (and probably P) before most other manufacturers. Stock Android is great to me. I've always installed Nova Launcher on my other phones (to include my Huawei) and we did that on the Nokia 8. It does everything else I want/need without any additional overhead so for me Stock Android is a preference.

The Nokia 8 feels good in the hand. Actually a little small after being used to the big/heavy P9 plus.

Battery capacity was a talking point, but my partner easily gets a day of use with extensive browsing, Youtube, playing games. LINE (sometimes Video call), so any concerns over battery capacity, for us anyway, is a non-issue.

There is also some talk about the very limited manual mode for the camera. You can load open camera (which I also loaded to experiment with) but I don't see any big differences in what I can get with the auto settings. Having said that, open camera points to one shortfall in the sensor over what is in the Huawei which can be set to stay open for 30 seconds. It can't be slowed down any more than 0.7" so if you absolutely need to shutter to stay open longer than that, this phone is not for you. I haven't really noticed a big issue with auto-focus but then it is not all that great on the Huawei either. Can't say we have been frustrated by any auto-focus issues.

Screen on the Nokia is really nice and IMO is better than the Huawei screen. Richer colors and whiter whites. In fact when you compare the two side by side, you can see how much yellow is in the Huawei screen. Some of that can be adjusted out, but it never looks as good as the Nokia screen. Speaking of the screen, the Nokia is much brighter and easier to read in full daylight than the Huawei P9 plus.

Price was fair. We picked it up in Thailand for 19,500 baht which in my native USD conversion is around 585 USD plus we got a bunch of goodies with the deal to include a battery bank. Fairly priced and cheaper than my Huawei P9 plus when I bought it.

So anyway, so far, we are very happy with the purchase. Completely met our expectations.
    sdc1, Morty2264 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    09-30-2017 11:24 PM
    Oh, one other nugget for the real geeks out there: HMD to unlock bootloader on #Nokia Android phones | Nokiamob
    09-30-2017 11:25 PM
    You are right, that depends big time on carrier, location to tower, etc. For us though the call quality and signal strenght is great, but then it is great on our Huawei P9 plus and Sony Xperia Z5 :-)
    09-30-2017 11:28 PM
    Thanks for this quick turnaround, I am still deciding what to buy the Nokia 8 or the Huawei P10 plus. Since the P9 and P10 are quite similar, would you mind uploading the full res shots of those 2 phones? I'd be curious to check them out, thanks.
    10-01-2017 10:15 AM
    Thank you for a great review of the Nokia 8. It's a toss up between pixel and Nokia 9. Will more then likely wait it out for the Nokia. So far everything I have read about it states that the camera will be improved along with some other things
    10-01-2017 01:09 PM
    Own last year's pixel now and being that it took 4 replacement phones to make it acceptable not sure I want to go that route again
    10-01-2017 01:10 PM
    Thanks for this quick turnaround, I am still deciding what to buy the Nokia 8 or the Huawei P10 plus. Since the P9 and P10 are quite similar, would you mind uploading the full res shots of those 2 phones? I'd be curious to check them out, thanks.
    Has anyone bought the Nokia 8?-img_20170928_181232.jpg

Not a big pixel peeper myself. If it looks good enough to be a screen background on a computer, I'm happy. The picture that looks properly exposed with more color was loaded full size (don't know if AC does any compression when loading). That is from the Nokia 8. It looks closest to the conditions at the time. Like any camera and especially with a small sensor, it is just not equipped to pic up all the colors. That sky was truly stunning with a lot more subtle colors with aqua greens out in the bluer sections. The darker photo (I reloaded here full size) was from the Huawei. For some reason, it finds that particular lighting situation very challenging. I tried a couple different shots all with similar results.

I played around in full daylight one afternoon and I'd say the two phones are fairly close, but I'd still give the edge to the Nokia 8 on color reproduction. It was just closer to what my eye was seeing. Maybe I'll post some more comparison photos in another thread.
    sdc1 likes this.
    10-01-2017 09:54 PM
    Thank you for a great review of the Nokia 8. It's a toss up between pixel and Nokia 9. Will more then likely wait it out for the Nokia. So far everything I have read about it states that the camera will be improved along with some other things
    Looking forward to seeing what the Nokia 9 camera is like. To be honest, my expectations are pretty low for anything ground-breaking. If photos are up to Apple/Samsung flagship levels, that will be a good thing. I expect the Zeiss partnership to pay off in 2018.
    10-01-2017 10:27 PM
    Really great review of the Nokia 8. Already have a Nokia 6 which I really like but I think I might go for the Nokia 9 when it comes out.

Regards

Infinidim
    10-02-2017 05:17 AM
    Really great review of the Nokia 8. Already have a Nokia 6 which I really like but I think I might go for the Nokia 9 when it comes out.

Regards

Infinidim
    Thank you Ya, if you have the 6 and are happy with it, no reason to change. Looking forward to the 9 as well, but like I said, setting my expectations kind of low. I won't be disappointed but I also may not find a compelling reason to upgrade from my Huawei.
    10-02-2017 06:44 AM
78 123 ...