First Nokia Phone, what the heck is up with their updates?

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
So I just bought a Nokia 8 Sirocco wanting that clean Android experience.

didn't play much with the phone but my first gripe is that it had to do each OS update for each month followed by a reboot, the process took me like 1 hour to get up to the latest update which is the December patch.

why don't they update just like every other phone like from whatever it shipped with to the latest one immediately rather than doing this stupid incremental updates?

Also, I bought a Nokia phone thinking since it's stock Android I'd be getting Android Pie but it still says Android 8.1 December Patch

Anirban Banerjee

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Sirocco sales are not that spectacular. Most likely that set you bought had been on the shelf on stock for 6 months in switched off mode. So - no updates.
As to Pie, it will come when it comes. For sure it will come, lot of chatter about when. There is no published timeframe, and Nokia has burnt its fingers once doing that.

Above being said, I, too own a Sirocco and otherwise like it.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
Sirocco sales are not that spectacular. Most likely that set you bought had been on the shelf on stock for 6 months in switched off mode. So - no updates.
As to Pie, it will come when it comes. For sure it will come, lot of chatter about when. There is no published timeframe, and Nokia has burnt its fingers once doing that.

Above being said, I, too own a Sirocco and otherwise like it.

Right every review I see says the device costs $750 USD but I got it brand new here in Dubay today for $410 USD. I guess as you said they've been lying on the shelf. The saleswoman tried to sell me the newer phones like the 8.1 but I told her the reason I like this phone is that it is one of very few phones that sports a dual camera but with a small form factor. I just had a Note 9 and couldn't see me living with it man I need a small pocketable phone and the camera looked decent from the photos I shot at the store and I love the stock Android experience. It's insane how much bloat these other manufacturer phones have on them.

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
I just bought a Nokia 8, and only now, once I have it, am I reading that there's a few issues with updates. Shame because a lot of reviewers are saying the opposite. With that said, device is functioning quite well.

In the last day though, there's discussion of how foxconn is kind of not going to make phones for hmd. It doesn't look like the business venture is working out, and considering hmd is restructuring a lot, I get the feeling that there's trouble ahead. The industry is getting ready for a shakeout of second tier manufacturers.