Nokia 8.1 Whatsapp camera problem and workaround

anon(10603243)

May 5, 2019
Visit site
I know this forum is not for Nokia 8.1 but I'm not tech savvy enough to create a new forum for it. Posting this in case someone else has the same problem and was unable to find a solution on the net.

Recently changed from Nokia 7 plus to 8.1. Whatsapp camera on 7 plus was ok but on 8.1, the pictures taken have a bright yellow tinge to them. Picture quality not as good as when using the stock camera which I could tolerate but the yellow colouring is really offputting. When you focus the Whatsapp camera on the subject, there is no colour issue - its when you take the picture, the yellow tinge appears on the picture. Reported this to Whatsapp but not sure they will act on it. However, have stumbled upon a workaround - prior to taking the picture, if you zoom in and out (I don't think you need to do too much zooming, just a bit will do), this stops the picture coming out yellow. Hope this helps others.

Attached pictures show the difference when taken using Whatsapp camera and phone camera.

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_012308.jpg
    IMG_20190505_012308.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20190505-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190505-WA0003.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 14

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I know this forum is not for Nokia 8.1 but I'm not tech savvy enough to create a new forum for it. Posting this in case someone else has the same problem and was unable to find a solution on the net.

Recently changed from Nokia 7 plus to 8.1. Whatsapp camera on 7 plus was ok but on 8.1, the pictures taken have a bright yellow tinge to them. Picture quality not as good as when using the stock camera which I could tolerate but the yellow colouring is really offputting. When you focus the Whatsapp camera on the subject, there is no colour issue - its when you take the picture, the yellow tinge appears on the picture. Reported this to Whatsapp but not sure they will act on it. However, have stumbled upon a workaround - prior to taking the picture, if you zoom in and out (I don't think you need to do too much zooming, just a bit will do), this stops the picture coming out yellow. Hope this helps others.

Attached pictures show the difference when taken using Whatsapp camera and phone camera.

The colour cast is usually due to the wrong lighting settings e.g. Daylight setting when using an incandescent bulb. This is something that WhatsApp doesn't allow a user to change so you'll have to put up with it unfortunately 😐