10-08-2017 06:21 AM
48 12
tools
    Can't agree with you here. Neither the old or the new Nokia has never released a flagship and the history of Nokia on Microsoft devices can't be counted to their advantage on Android. Neither company has much built up in the way of history yet, with Google having only released 1 flagship lineup and HMD having released 0 so far. Really is a big question mark, impossible to draw any conclusions in Nokia's favor until there's actually something to see.
    Never released a flagship? Lol. Why just because they never released one on Android...they didn't count?
    jamezr likes this.
    07-24-2017 10:59 AM
    Never released a flagship? Lol. Why just because they never released one on Android...they didn't count?
    Sorry, I misspoke. The new company has never released a flagship and the old company never did on Android. But also sure, I'd be willing to state that Windows devices don't count. As an OS though, not on cameras.
    07-24-2017 11:00 AM
    Yeah that's still like saying Apple have never made a flagship phone because iOS isn't android
    jamezr likes this.
    07-24-2017 11:15 AM
    We will have to wait it out and see! I still tend to think the camera on the Nokia Flagships are going to wipe the pixel by miles. Google is relying on software primarily to take good pics . Nokias hardware and software both which is also going to be by Carl Zeiss is going to be a win win situation for sure
    jamezr likes this.
    07-24-2017 11:33 AM
    Yeah that's still like saying Apple have never made a flagship phone because iOS isn't android
    Nah, night and day difference. iOS is by far the second most popular OS globally and every device they've ever released except for the SE and the 5C has been a flagship. And I'm not saying "because it's not Android", I'm joking that Windows, as a phone OS, is one of the most irrelevant things in the smart things world right now.
    07-24-2017 11:38 AM
    Nah, night and day difference. iOS is by far the second most popular OS globally and every device they've ever released except for the SE and the 5C has been a flagship. And I'm not saying "because it's not Android", I'm joking that Windows, as a phone OS, is one of the most irrelevant things in the smart things world right now.
    Of course Windows on mobile is irrelevant now but when old Nokia was at it's prime they were producing plenty flagships, and iOS was only the 3rd most popular OS here in Europe behind Android and WP respectively.
    Whatever happens I want them to do well and I'll hang off buying the 8 until I see if it has everything or at least most features I need, it performs well and the camera in particular and finally I'll wait to see if the 9 arrives shortly after in case it's better then at least the 8 will have come down in price by then too
    07-24-2017 12:45 PM
    Of course Windows on mobile is irrelevant now but when old Nokia was at it's prime they were producing plenty flagships, and iOS was only the 3rd most popular OS here in Europe behind Android and WP respectively.
    Whatever happens I want them to do well and I'll hang off buying the 8 until I see if it has everything or at least most features I need, it performs well and the camera in particular and finally I'll wait to see if the 9 arrives shortly after in case it's better then at least the 8 will have come down in price by then too
    Yep I agree that Nokia used to be awesome; but since this is a new company with some familiar faces, that leaves a lot of question marks out there. Hopefully the 8 is as good as everyone is hoping.
    07-24-2017 12:53 PM
    All I'm hoping is that Nokia can fill the void that Nexus has left.

All I want is a phone that has regular software and security updates and is cheaper than a flagship.
    07-24-2017 02:05 PM
    I think in terms of just the camera alone will blow Google out of the water
    I recall hearing that they won't be using the same pureview tech that the Lumias had, since that tech was exclusive to MS. Not sure how much of a difference that would make. Or whether it's true for that matter.

I do hope the cameras are going to be awesome, because that's one thing that I miss a LOT coming from a 950XL and going to an iPhone 6S plus. Looking forward to my third mobile OS in one year..
    07-24-2017 05:10 PM
    Just read an awesome article on mspoweruser.com about Nokia snatching back their iconic Lumia camera user interface for their Android devices! Check it out
    dov1978 likes this.
    07-27-2017 06:46 PM
    Just read an awesome article on mspoweruser.com about Nokia snatching back their iconic Lumia camera user interface for their Android devices! Check it out
    You beat me to that lol. Read it last night and was gonna add it in here too. That's definitely great news for the camera experience. Especially after hearing how bad the camera interface is on the current new crop of Nokia's. If they can add a dedicated camera button too to the Nokia 9 I'll be in my element
    07-28-2017 01:31 AM
    Same here will check out the 8 but really more interested in the 9. As of for the dedicated camera button I will take it either way I just want it to get here soon
    dov1978 likes this.
    07-28-2017 05:38 AM
    really looking forward to this phone and stock Android and the Zeis camera partnership.

Nokia 8 software
    Pure Android Nougat
    Camera improvements
    One of the underlying themes of the new Nokia phones is that they all run pure Android Nougat, with Google Assistant. Nokia was keen to point this out and Google was keen to say how happy the were that Nokia was doing this.
    Nokia 8: Release date, rumours and specs for Nokia's flagship - Pocket-lint
    Joe920 likes this.
    07-29-2017 09:00 AM
    One day to go apparently! Very curious whether this one lives up to the hype!
    08-15-2017 04:26 PM
    There is still going to be a 9! I'm probably going to wait it out for that one
    Aquila likes this.
    08-16-2017 09:42 AM
    08-16-2017 01:55 PM
    599€!?
    That's a bit high, i think.
    08-16-2017 09:35 PM
    Only splash proof. Sorry but not enough! I'll hold out!
    08-17-2017 08:35 AM
    I'm wondering with an f2.0 lens, how good it will be in low light. Not a bad phone at all, but I think I'll hold off, at least until full reviews come in.
    08-17-2017 08:57 AM
    I'm wondering with an f2.0 lens, how good it will be in low light. Not a bad phone at all, but I think I'll hold off, at least until full reviews come in.
    It does have OIS, so that should help compared to the Pixel for example, and I read somewhere that the image information from the second camera module (monochrome) is used to improve the low light response. Still, probably wise to see how it pans out in actual use.
    08-17-2017 03:20 PM
    So what's missing in 8 that the 9 was supposed to have?
    Pretty much all features of a real Nokia flagship:

- Dedicated camera button (present on Nokia flagships since before the iPhone)
    - AMOLED display (present on Nokia flagships since the 2013 Nokia 1020)
    - Wireless charging (present on all Nokia flagships since the 2012 Nokia 920)

And then it lacks:

- An actually good camera. The camera on the Nokia 8 is crap, much of it because of the software. In fact I did an interesting experiement with the Nokia 5. I downloaded from XDA the port of the Pixel camera and installed it on the Nokia 5 (and yes, the app works on the snapdragon 430. I was surprised too). And then I took a picture with the Nokia 5 stock camera and with the Nokia 5 using the Pixel camera.

Here's the result (stock on top, Pixel on bottom)
    Nokia 8 - Flagship-comparison.jpg

The Nokia 8 camera acts pretty much the same. It needs to be completely overhauled. I do think that will happen though. They've got the Lumia Camera design copyrights back from Microsoft so I would expect it to be deployed eventually with a big camera update. Whether they'll bundle that with the 8.0 update or not, remains to be seen.

They might opt to delay that and only launch it after the release of the Nokia 9 (and yes, there will be a Nokia 9, HMD has been clearly stating "our most powerful smartphone *so far*" and they've said they'll have a smartphone for every sort of consumer, including those who want an everything and the kitchen sink device)

- True innovative software.
    Nokia had a list of cool stuff that they wanted to do during the Windows Phone Era that they never got to do because of the limitations of the software and Microsoft's lack of interest in improving it. With Android they don't have that problem. But that will mean, eventually, ditching stock Android.
    And I think they'll eventually ditch it when they realise stock Android doesn't sell phones and that they need things to differentiate their phones other than just the Nokia brand.
    09-01-2017 06:05 PM
    It looks like a gorgeous phone! I'm intrigued by it.
    09-05-2017 04:50 PM
    hmm..big bezels in the year of small bezels
    I've got a Nokia 8 and I can safely say that the bezels are the only disappointing thing about it.
    10-08-2017 06:21 AM
48 12