Nokia 8 - Flagship

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nokia 8- Flagship

The pixel that is. I think Nokia is pushing quality already with the release of their 3 Android phones released already. Nokia has always made reliable phones I somehow don't think quality is going to be any kind of issue. Especially on their comeback devices. I personally would worry more about the pixel then nokia.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The pixel that is. I think Nokia is pushing quality already with the release of their 3 Android phones released already. Nokia has always made reliable phones I somehow don't think quality is going to be any kind of issue. Especially on their comeback devices. I personally would worry more about the pixel then nokia.

Can't agree with you here. Neither the old or the new Nokia has never released a flagship and the history of Nokia on Microsoft devices can't be counted to their advantage on Android. Neither company has much built up in the way of history yet, with Google having only released 1 flagship lineup and HMD having released 0 so far. Really is a big question mark, impossible to draw any conclusions in Nokia's favor until there's actually something to see.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm certainly hoping so. If the camera is a let down I may actually shed a tear

Agree that I hope it's good, but "blowing Google out of the water" is damn near impossible, as a year later they're still the second best camera on the market. Old Nokia's best flagship camera is 3 years old at this point as isn't in the top 30 cameras on smartphones now, due to the rapid clustering of many OEM's near the top of the pack. I certainly don't think Nokia is going to bomb out on camera, but my best guess is that they'll slide into the middle of the leading pack.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Can't agree with you here. Neither the old or the new Nokia has never released a flagship and the history of Nokia on Microsoft devices can't be counted to their advantage on Android. Neither company has much built up in the way of history yet, with Google having only released 1 flagship lineup and HMD having released 0 so far. Really is a big question mark, impossible to draw any conclusions in Nokia's favor until there's actually something to see.

Never released a flagship? Lol. Why just because they never released one on Android...they didn't count?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Never released a flagship? Lol. Why just because they never released one on Android...they didn't count?

Sorry, I misspoke. The new company has never released a flagship and the old company never did on Android. But also sure, I'd be willing to state that Windows devices don't count. :) As an OS though, not on cameras.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
We will have to wait it out and see! I still tend to think the camera on the Nokia Flagships are going to wipe the pixel by miles. Google is relying on software primarily to take good pics . Nokias hardware and software both which is also going to be by Carl Zeiss is going to be a win win situation for sure

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's still like saying Apple have never made a flagship phone because iOS isn't android

Nah, night and day difference. iOS is by far the second most popular OS globally and every device they've ever released except for the SE and the 5C has been a flagship. And I'm not saying "because it's not Android", I'm joking that Windows, as a phone OS, is one of the most irrelevant things in the smart things world right now.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Nah, night and day difference. iOS is by far the second most popular OS globally and every device they've ever released except for the SE and the 5C has been a flagship. And I'm not saying "because it's not Android", I'm joking that Windows, as a phone OS, is one of the most irrelevant things in the smart things world right now.

Of course Windows on mobile is irrelevant now but when old Nokia was at it's prime they were producing plenty flagships, and iOS was only the 3rd most popular OS here in Europe behind Android and WP respectively.
Whatever happens I want them to do well and I'll hang off buying the 8 until I see if it has everything or at least most features I need, it performs well and the camera in particular and finally I'll wait to see if the 9 arrives shortly after in case it's better then at least the 8 will have come down in price by then too

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Of course Windows on mobile is irrelevant now but when old Nokia was at it's prime they were producing plenty flagships, and iOS was only the 3rd most popular OS here in Europe behind Android and WP respectively.
Whatever happens I want them to do well and I'll hang off buying the 8 until I see if it has everything or at least most features I need, it performs well and the camera in particular and finally I'll wait to see if the 9 arrives shortly after in case it's better then at least the 8 will have come down in price by then too

Yep I agree that Nokia used to be awesome; but since this is a new company with some familiar faces, that leaves a lot of question marks out there. Hopefully the 8 is as good as everyone is hoping.

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
All I'm hoping is that Nokia can fill the void that Nexus has left.

All I want is a phone that has regular software and security updates and is cheaper than a flagship.

Joe920

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

I think in terms of just the camera alone will blow Google out of the water
I recall hearing that they won't be using the same pureview tech that the Lumias had, since that tech was exclusive to MS. Not sure how much of a difference that would make. Or whether it's true for that matter. :)

I do hope the cameras are going to be awesome, because that's one thing that I miss a LOT coming from a 950XL and going to an iPhone 6S plus. Looking forward to my third mobile OS in one year..

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Just read an awesome article on mspoweruser.com about Nokia snatching back their iconic Lumia camera user interface for their Android devices! Check it out

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just read an awesome article on mspoweruser.com about Nokia snatching back their iconic Lumia camera user interface for their Android devices! Check it out

You beat me to that lol. Read it last night and was gonna add it in here too. That's definitely great news for the camera experience. Especially after hearing how bad the camera interface is on the current new crop of Nokia's. If they can add a dedicated camera button too to the Nokia 9 I'll be in my element

Last edited:

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Same here will check out the 8 but really more interested in the 9. As of for the dedicated camera button I will take it either way I just want it to get here soon

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
really looking forward to this phone and stock Android and the Zeis camera partnership.

Nokia 8 software
Pure Android Nougat
Camera improvements
One of the underlying themes of the new Nokia phones is that they all run pure Android Nougat, with Google Assistant. Nokia was keen to point this out and Google was keen to say how happy the were that Nokia was doing this.

Nokia 8: Release date, rumours and specs for Nokia's flagship - Pocket-lint

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513