Nokia 8 - Flagship

Rob Chew

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering with an f2.0 lens, how good it will be in low light. Not a bad phone at all, but I think I'll hold off, at least until full reviews come in.

Joe920

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm wondering with an f2.0 lens, how good it will be in low light. Not a bad phone at all, but I think I'll hold off, at least until full reviews come in.
It does have OIS, so that should help compared to the Pixel for example, and I read somewhere that the image information from the second camera module (monochrome) is used to improve the low light response. Still, probably wise to see how it pans out in actual use.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia 8- Flagship

So what's missing in 8 that the 9 was supposed to have?

Pretty much all features of a real Nokia flagship:

- Dedicated camera button (present on Nokia flagships since before the iPhone)
- AMOLED display (present on Nokia flagships since the 2013 Nokia 1020)
- Wireless charging (present on all Nokia flagships since the 2012 Nokia 920)

And then it lacks:

- An actually good camera. The camera on the Nokia 8 is crap, much of it because of the software. In fact I did an interesting experiement with the Nokia 5. I downloaded from XDA the port of the Pixel camera and installed it on the Nokia 5 (and yes, the app works on the snapdragon 430. I was surprised too). And then I took a picture with the Nokia 5 stock camera and with the Nokia 5 using the Pixel camera.

Here's the result (stock on top, Pixel on bottom)
comparison.jpg

The Nokia 8 camera acts pretty much the same. It needs to be completely overhauled. I do think that will happen though. They've got the Lumia Camera design copyrights back from Microsoft so I would expect it to be deployed eventually with a big camera update. Whether they'll bundle that with the 8.0 update or not, remains to be seen.

They might opt to delay that and only launch it after the release of the Nokia 9 (and yes, there will be a Nokia 9, HMD has been clearly stating "our most powerful smartphone *so far*" and they've said they'll have a smartphone for every sort of consumer, including those who want an everything and the kitchen sink device)

- True innovative software.
Nokia had a list of cool stuff that they wanted to do during the Windows Phone Era that they never got to do because of the limitations of the software and Microsoft's lack of interest in improving it. With Android they don't have that problem. But that will mean, eventually, ditching stock Android.
And I think they'll eventually ditch it when they realise stock Android doesn't sell phones and that they need things to differentiate their phones other than just the Nokia brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21