Pictures taken with the Nokia 9 Pureview

TonyWoo60

Mar 13, 2019
Visit site
Comparing the two dog photos, I prefer the Nokia 9 photo, but clearly the samsung isn't garbage. It appears to me that the nokia relies more on taking a better quality photo to begin with, rather than running algorithms. I haven't got the slightest clue if that's correct, it's just what it looks like to me.

Regarding the issues with the Nokia 9, it's a real shame, I was seriously considering it, but I'm after a point and shoot type phone and it's increasingly looking like the S10e. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

It's definitely not a point and shoot. I'm hanging on to mine for now to see if the next update addresses the problems. But the Galaxy S10+ is my daily driver. I need a phone I can rely on for all the non-camera stuff.

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
It's definitely not a point and shoot. I'm hanging on to mine for now to see if the next update addresses the problems. But the Galaxy S10+ is my daily driver. I need a phone I can rely on for all the non-camera stuff.

If you set it to "photo" (without the depth setting on) it works fine as a point and shoot. Even in "bokeh" mode, as long as I have the depth setting to off, I'm getting really nice shots without editing.

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
Here are a few quick snapshots taken in standard photo mode, with depth turned off, no edits. These all were taken right at or after sunset except for one earlier in the evening. This is why I think the camera does just fine as a point and shoot.

IMG_20190328_184737.jpg

IMG_20190328_184352.jpg

IMG_20190328_185228.jpg

IMG_20190328_173541.jpg

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
The S10e is only a few dollars more than the Nokia 9 though or is it different where you live?

Yea almost $200 difference (approx $680 vs. $860). The Nokia 9 is still not available in Europe, but should be coming next month. The S10e, I'm wondering whether I should just buy now, or wait for a price drop in a few months.

But with that said, the primary thing is how it performs as a phone. Great camera is an awesome feature, but it needs to do everything else well. I'm not too fussed with the fingerprint reader because I prefer not to use it, rather a PIN, but battery life, bugs, and support are important.

So I'm still thinking about just getting a mid range phone like the Nokia 7 Plus, since it's a heap cheaper.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Oh ok yeah that makes sense then. That's a pretty big difference in price though wow. The Nokia 9 Pureview is $699 here in the US while the S10e is around $749 depending on where you get it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh ok yeah that makes sense then. That's a pretty big difference in price though wow. The Nokia 9 Pureview is $699 here in the US while the S10e is around $749 depending on where you get it.

I like the price of the S10e and the Pureview. I feel like smartphones are getting very overpriced these days.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I like the price of the S10e and the Pureview. I feel like smartphones are getting very overpriced these days.
Agree 100%. Seriously considering the OnePlus 7 as an upgrade to my V30. It looks promising. Only giving up wireless charging and the QuadDAC but I guess I could make up for the latter with a serious pair of high end headphones like the Bose or Sony noise cancelling ones.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Yea almost $200 difference (approx $680 vs. $860). The Nokia 9 is still not available in Europe, but should be coming next month. The S10e, I'm wondering whether I should just buy now, or wait for a price drop in a few months.

But with that said, the primary thing is how it performs as a phone. Great camera is an awesome feature, but it needs to do everything else well. I'm not too fussed with the fingerprint reader because I prefer not to use it, rather a PIN, but battery life, bugs, and support are important.

So I'm still thinking about just getting a mid range phone like the Nokia 7 Plus, since it's a heap cheaper.
How come you don't use fingerprint scanners?

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
How come you don't use fingerprint scanners?

For starters, my current phone hasn't got one, so I can't. With that said, moving to a phone with a fingerprint reader, well, if it's a nuisance to use like in screen ones I'm consistently hearing about, then I'm perfectly happy with using a pin, as I've gotten used to it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
For starters, my current phone hasn't got one, so I can't. With that said, moving to a phone with a fingerprint reader, well, if it's a nuisance to use like in screen ones I'm consistently hearing about, then I'm perfectly happy with using a pin, as I've gotten used to it.

I love my FPS on my Pixel 2 but enjoy using the PIN from time to time. I find it easier to use my PIN if my fingers are a little wet from rain, etc or if I've just done my nails. And sometimes, it may be more convenient. Whatever works for you! :)

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
Some more quick snapshots (no edits, no bokeh, no depth setting). I don't know why people are saying that this phone is not useful as a point and shoot.

IMG_20190330_102534.jpg
IMG_20190330_102856.jpg
IMG_20190330_103010.jpg
IMG_20190330_103243.jpg

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
Yea, certainly has me intrigued.

What is the camera performance like (in terms of speed, viewing the gallary, etc.) when you just spit out jpegs without any depth sensing and whatever?

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
Yea, certainly has me intrigued.

What is the camera performance like (in terms of speed, viewing the gallary, etc.) when you just spit out jpegs without any depth sensing and whatever?

To test this I did ten quick snapshots. The last one finished processing about 38 seconds after I took the last shot. For me it's not a deal-breaker. And, no matter what type of shots you are taking, you don't have to wait for it to finish processing to take the next one. You can just keep firing away. I will add that all of the shots looked similar and nice quality. I did the same test with my Mate 9 and, although there was no processing wait time, there was a pretty wide variation in the quality of the shots. And I say that as one who has been very pleased with the camera on the Mate 9.