so what happens next year when the x1 is obsolete

May 13, 2015
Visit site
With arm chip development moving at a rapid pace it's reasonable that nvidia will push past the x1 next year or the year after for sure.

A typical console has a long life span and and the software is targeted to the platform. A pc gamer can constantly update his rig or buy a new one. There is a chance this nvidia console could have a short shelf life.

I just don't see the advantages of this system. If you want any kind of storage the $299 edition is the only option. That puts the Shield in direct competition with the ps4 and xbox one. I don't see what this thing does better than either of those platforms. For a couple hundred more you can get a alienware alpha complete with ten free games and upgradable internals.

Posted via Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I predict next year they will refresh the SHIELD handheld with a new Tegra chip. Or possibly the tablet and drop the handheld. NVIDIA has a nice ecosystem now, and could go with a 2-3 year refresh cycle to keep them current.

As far as advantages over other consoles, here we go:

1. It's a better streaming box already, will probably get more so.
2. Emulatorz baby!
3. You already bought a bunch of Android games for it, single purchase, multiple devices.
4. Cloud saves...imagine playing something on your SHIELD console, breaking off, and then picking up the exact same savegame on your SHIELD handheld or tablet?
5. Google Play Music
6. Did I mention emulatorz?
7. Google Play Movies
8. I said emulatorz, didn't I?

Ultimately, the SHIELD ecosystem's advantages aren't exactly traditional, but they do exist. And frankly, going toe-to-toe with Microsoft and Sony would be a mistake anyway. On the other hand, SHIELD and Android offer unique advantages that Sony and Microsoft aren't really in a position to offer.

anon(386684)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Why is the 500GB edition the only option? It has two USB 3.0 ports that support NTFS drives (and yes, you can install apps straight to external drives)...I have a 2TB attached to mine right now. 500GB edition is nice if you don't want to look at another drive (mine is under the entertainment center), but $100 for 500GB is not good. Hell, I'm ordering a 4TB drive for $129 right now...

BobB67

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Yea, the Pro is not really necessary unless you just have to have every game installed all the time. I added a 32gb SD card and even after installing a couple dozen games (including larger installs like Doom 3, Portal, etc...) I still have plenty of room. And I agree, the console will see upgrades, but I see no reason why it would be yearly.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the feeling the X1 chip won't be obsolete in a year. I may be wrong, but I don't think so in this case.

comfortably nub

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i was messing around. I am actually impressed by nvidia always updating and adding features. This box costs a little more than whats out there but you more than get your moneys worth in hardware and software features. Soon to come; 4k and 5.1 streaming. very nice indeed.

lovedatnfc

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Why is the 500GB edition the only option? It has two USB 3.0 ports that support NTFS drives (and yes, you can install apps straight to external drives)...I have a 2TB attached to mine right now. 500GB edition is nice if you don't want to look at another drive (mine is under the entertainment center), but $100 for 500GB is not good. Hell, I'm ordering a 4TB drive for $129 right now...

How exactly do you get your apps to install directly to your extrernal hard drive? I cant get mine to do that

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm