Shield Questions

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This forum doesn't seem to be very active but I'm going to give it a shot. Just received a Shield (2017; 16GB; remote) and am wondering about several things:
1. When I try to cast from my phone (Pixel 2 XL) to the Shield nothing happens - I don't see a request to allow the connection and the little cast icon on the phone finally stops flashing. If I try to cast from the phone directly to the TV I see the request to allow the connection and once I approve it the cast takes place. (Note that my Shield is connected via HDMI to a receiver which is then connected to the TV.)
2. I don't have a Game Controller (yet) - is there any real advantage to have one other than for playing games?
3. Is there any way, using the remote or game controller, to quickly toggle CC on/off (in apps like Netflix or Amazon Prime video) rather than having to go through the application settings?
4. I've seen some comments about double pressing the Home button on the remote to bring up the Recent Apps list, but several comments talked about using 'the round button' - in any case I haven't had much success there.
5. Currently using VLC to play movies on a connected HDD - any recommendations for other players?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
1. When I try to cast from my phone (Pixel 2 XL) to the Shield nothing happens - I don't see a request to allow the connection and the little cast icon on the phone finally stops flashing. If I try to cast from the phone directly to the TV I see the request to allow the connection and once I approve it the cast takes place. (Note that my Shield is connected via HDMI to a receiver which is then connected to the TV.)

Can you try plugging the SHIELD directly into the TV? I have no issues casting to my SHIELD.

2. I don't have a Game Controller (yet) - is there any real advantage to have one other than for playing games?

If you're not going to play games at all, don't get it.

3. Is there any way, using the remote or game controller, to quickly toggle CC on/off (in apps like Netflix or Amazon Prime video) rather than having to go through the application settings?

Remote doesn't have it. It could depend on the app.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Can you try plugging the SHIELD directly into the TV? I have no issues casting to my SHIELD.
I'll give that a shot. Do you remember if there was any kind of prompt on the Shield to allow a connection?
Or did you have to have any additional applications installed on the Shield to make it work?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
4. I've seen some comments about double pressing the Home button on the remote to bring up the Recent Apps list, but several comments talked about using 'the round button' - in any case I haven't had much success there.
Finally got the hang of this (it is the Home button BTW) and it's working fine.

I'm adding to the list though:
6. Can I use a game controller from a Playstation 3 in place of the Shield controller? I have one of those laying around.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Finally got the hang of this (it is the Home button BTW) and it's working fine.

I'm adding to the list though:
6. Can I use a game controller from a Playstation 3 in place of the Shield controller? I have one of those laying around.

You can use any Bluetooth controller with the Shield. I don't have a PlayStation 3, but I don't think its controller has Bluetooth natively (but I could be wrong.) If it come with a USB cord, I imagine you could plug it in directly and use it that way.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a PlayStation 3, but I don't think its controller has Bluetooth natively (but I could be wrong.)
Thanks! After some fiddling around I actually got my PS/3 controller working with the Shield, so I guess it has Bluetooth after all.
I suck at gaming, particularly with that kind of controller, but it's nice to have a back up to the standard remote that came with the Shield.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie