Settings>Security=Unfortunately, Settings has Stopped

Brandon McBride

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
As the title indicates, since my upgrade to 4.4.2, trying to access the security menu in the settings causes Settings to suddenly stop. I have games acquired through HumbleBundle that I'd like to install, but I can't get to the Security menu to change the settings to allow the install of third-party apps.

Anybody else have this issue?

Help?

titetanium

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have not have that error. You could try going into settings, apps, swipe to all, settings (the app), clear data. Do the same for settings storage (app). Hopefully that should clear the corrupted settings data and get you going. Note though, this will put your settings to the defaults, so you'll have to redo your settings to your liking. Other than that, try booting into recovery and wipe your cache from there. You shouldn't lose any data other than the system settings either way.

Brandon McBride

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The cache and data in Storage Settings is grayed out. I can clear out the cache in the Settings app, but when I try to clear the data and press OK the tablet just resets itself and the problem continues. How do I boot into recovery?

UPDATE: I found out how to boot into recovery. Cleared the cache. Didn't work. Ended up doing a factory reset (both from the settings menu AND from the boot into recovery). Set it so apps and everything didn't automatically restore in case it was an issue with that.

I'm still having the same issue.

Last edited:

titetanium

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that. From what I understood, you didn't seem to have problems prior to upgrading to 4.4.2. Clearly, this suggests a bug in the update. I'd contact Nvidia and/or EVGA to see if you can get a new tablet under warranty. Other than that, you could unlock your tablet (voids your warranty) and try tomsgt's suprertools package to install a fresh 4.4.2 installation with options to root and more. But I'd strongly suggest getting that replacement tablet though.

Brandon McBride

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that. From what I understood, you didn't seem to have problems prior to upgrading to 4.4.2. Clearly, this suggests a bug in the update. I'd contact Nvidia and/or EVGA to see if you can get a new tablet under warranty. Other than that, you could unlock your tablet (voids your warranty) and try tomsgt's suprertools package to install a fresh 4.4.2 installation with options to root and more. But I'd strongly suggest getting that replacement tablet though.

Thanks. I'm deathly afraid of rooting. I've spoken with Nvidia and they told me to address EVGA. So i've put in a ticket with EVGA but haven't heard anything back yet.

LOHucks

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I start my reply by saying that I had the same issue on my ASUS TF300T (Rooted). Running Cyanogen KitKat 4.4.4. During a PlayStore update, one of my Antivirus Programs stated "An Issue With....". Issue resolved thru scanner, but no longer access to Android Settings.

Here's what I did....(If you have a Systems Program to do/access the same, it's worth a shot). I opened my Avast AntiVirus, went to App Management, scrolled to previously reported "problem app". Selected "System Info". This took me to the app in the Settings (yes, the App Info part of Settings). I did a "Clear Cache", followed by "Clear Data", followed by "Force Stop", ending with "Uninstall".

I then used the same Avast method to select my "Settings" program. Doing as much as done with previous app (except Uninstall----Do Not Look for or try to Uninstall). Clear Cache and Force Stop. Afterwards.....Reboot Device.

Now, since my tablet IS rooted, I also went to my TWRP menu, and did a "Permissions Fix". I don't know if this solved the problem, or if the problem was already solved thru Avast. I will not guarantee that any of this will work for you, but it may work for some.

Shreyas Ray

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
i got my micromax unite 2 a106 on 14/7/2014. it works on android 4.4.2 kitkat. today i tried to access settings>about phone. When i tried to access it, it shows an error message "Unfortunately settings has stopped". pls suggest something.

ishan durve

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
i got my micromax unite 2 a106 on 14/7/2014. it works on android 4.4.2 kitkat. today i tried to access settings>about phone. When i tried to access it, it shows an error message "Unfortunately settings has stopped". pls suggest something.

Reply , I have the same phone and also the same problem , I reseted the phone and it worked but just for few days and after that same problem occured. What to do now.

Mothi Lal

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
i am also having same mobile Micromax unite2 With 4gb rom and same problem...i think its caused due to ussage of 32gp memorycard on it.

Last edited:

Abhisek Sharma

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
i am also having same mobile Micromax unite2 With 4gb rom and same problem...i think its caused due to ussage of 32gp memorycard on it.

Ok, you says 32 gb. So i m using 4gb variant with 8 gb memory card. And facing 100℅ same problem. After one month it started happening with me. Dont reset your device, try removing your apps one by one and try to open the about phone after each removal of apps. It may fix it or call mmx service centre.

Note8

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Leave this website BRO !! Its of no benefit. Don't waste your time here and post questions on other websites or send your complain via email to Samsung Company

AndroidMenace

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I have the Samsung Tab S and fixed this error quite simply and worth a try before you do anything rash like a factory reset.
While running, unmount the SD card. Remove while still switched on.
Restart tablet and the message should be gone. Reinsert the card and restart tablet.

1husskbsjs

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
As the title indicates, since my upgrade to 4.4.2, trying to access the security menu in the settings causes Settings to suddenly stop. I have games acquired through HumbleBundle that I'd like to install, but I can't get to the Security menu to change the settings to allow the install of third-party apps.

Help?

I have the same issue... I have factory restore but problem is still exsist... I have Moto x 1st gen lollipop... Plz tell me how to fix it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Moses1

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
SOLVED - Factory reset didn't work on my Galaxy S3. I called Samsung and they recommended taking it to the Samsung booth at BestBuy and have their technician do a 'reflash'. It worked...now my Galaxy is back to normal .... no more 'Unfortunately,settings has stopped. The technician is an employee of Samsung.

Dfmohd271

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I start my reply by saying that I had the same issue on my ASUS TF300T (Rooted). Running Cyanogen KitKat 4.4.4. During a PlayStore update, one of my Antivirus Programs stated "An Issue With....". Issue resolved thru scanner, but no longer access to Android Settings.

Here's what I did....(If you have a Systems Program to do/access the same, it's worth a shot). I opened my Avast AntiVirus, went to App Management, scrolled to previously reported "problem app". Selected "System Info". This took me to the app in the Settings (yes, the App Info part of Settings). I did a "Clear Cache", followed by "Clear Data", followed by "Force Stop", ending with "Uninstall".

I then used the same Avast method to select my "Settings" program. Doing as much as done with previous app (except Uninstall----Do Not Look for or try to Uninstall). Clear Cache and Force Stop. Afterwards.....Reboot Device.

Now, since my tablet IS rooted, I also went to my TWRP menu, and did a "Permissions Fix". I don't know if this solved the problem, or if the problem was already solved thru Avast. I will not guarantee that any of this will work for you, but it may work for some.

my all apps is disabled anyone suggest me how i got...at all..

quanqw

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Help?

I have same issue. Can you tell me what your solution.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca