Will the OnePlus 2 have as much impact as the OnePlus One ?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When the opo came out, it was a really good deal for what you are getting. Couldn't get anything similarly specd in the price range. But now, while it is still a good price, there are other closely specd devices in a similar price range, some even lower. So, I don't think that the OnePlus 2 will have as much impact.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Personally, no.

The OnePlus One had an impact because it was one of the very first devices that show that flagship specs and performance shouldn't necessarily come with a flagship price tag. It barely had any rivals in its price class and its closest rivals specs-wise were phones like the Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3, HTC One M8, Sony XPERIA Z2 and others, and those phones cost $600+ when new, whilst the OPO was around the $300 mark when it was new, making it tremendous value-for-money. It does have its caveats, like the questionable marketing of the company and the invite system, which we still dislike to this day.

The Two is going to be way tougher to sell. That's because what the OPO also did was also give notice to other smartphone OEMs to create smartphones that pack flagship power for a midrange price, especially Motorola and ASUS, who have responded with the Moto X Style and Zenfone 2 ZE551ML 64GB respectively. The X Style is $399 for the base model and the Zenfone 2 is $299 for the 64GB model and $199 for the base model. That puts the OPT smack bang in the middle, at $329 for 16GB and $389 for 64GB.

However, why I said that it's a tougher sell is because the 2 devices offer more than what the OPT has. Both have support for Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, NFC and several OEM features like Moto Assist and some ASUS stuff. The most important part, however, is that these phones can be purchased outright and you can have it on the same day you've purchased the device if you didn't purchase the device online, unlike the OPT, which has the invite system from the OPO and the wait times are still questionably long, due to the way their referral system allows people to jump the queue by thousands of people.

grootism

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I feel that the moto x play will be better than one plus 2 in many areas. One plus 2 could have come up with a bit more upgradations , especially the NFC! We'll see how things go on between one plus 2 and the moto x!

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
One plus two should market their product as very good budget phone instead of flagship killer product.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
One plus two should market their product as very good budget phone instead of flagship killer product.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

"Flagship killer" generates buzz though. Which is what most companies try to do with their marketing strategies. It may not live up to some people's expectations, but it got people talking, and even though some may not see it as a flagship killer, it still generated attention and that's the main goal.

Posted via my S6

somdave2005

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I think no. The Moto X style took away a lot of the OPT's thunder. Then you have the new Nexuses coming out this fall.

Posted via the Android Central App

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
The OnePlus 2 isn't going to have any impact if no one is able to buy one. Selling a million One devices was fantastic, but they've gotta do something about their product availability if they want to stand a chance. I know they say it isn't a big goal to sell as much as major companies, but I'm sure they have some quota.