Am I the only one that likes the invite system?

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the invite system. People complain when they order their phone, then have to wait up to eight weeks to actually get it (iPhone 6 anyone?). This way you don't have to give them your money until they are ready to get you one.

Point is, people will complain no matter what. At least this way you keep your money a bit longer, and can just not order it if you find out it's a dog.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While I see what you mean the wait for an iPhone 6 is different. That is simply a back order from so many orders. I don't think most people (including me) like being invited to give them my money -- as if it is a privilege to do so.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, no you're alone lol. It's different and was interesting as a rumor, but in execution it rather sucks 😛

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What he said. Invite sounds like you are special and they are extending you an offer.

I prefer preorder. First come first serve. Instead of discriminating against those who aren't able to get an invite.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Most manufacturers have less people pulling their stock like Apple does because they only generally have 2 new devices a year only. And other big manufacturers like Samsung are building more at a time to keep from getting back-orders.

So the invite system is just annoying to most people. Especially for normal manufacturers of Android devices. Their first phone I understand because they were new and didn't have deep pockets to built a lot. But that has since been corrected...

mighty727

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
i like to get what I want right away as much as anyone else. But the invite system is actually a big component of OnePlus' success (and low prices) in a few critical ways.

First, it obviously gets a lot of attention. Some positive and most negative, but as Oscar Wilde said, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Second, it allows for a level of margin capture, cash flow efficiency and inventory control that other manufacturers with more traditional distribution systems (i.e. wholesale) can only dream about. How can OnePlus offer the phone at such a low price relative to its competition? Look no further than the infamous invite system. Its the key that makes everything possible.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can understand the beginning, say the first 90 days to see what kind of demand there is which can in turn dictate how much to put in production to help keep excess inventory down. But the invite system went on way too long. It is almost unneeded for the second time around, as there were nearly 400k people reserving an invite.
I am inclined to agree with the others. I don't want to feel privileged, or jump through hoops to spend my money where I want.

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
How can OnePlus offer the phone at such a low price relative to its competition? Look no further than the infamous invite system. Its the key that makes everything possible.

Here is how they can offer such a low price:

-no NFC
-no quick charge of any kind (they said 0-100% would take over 3 hours)
-no usb 3.0 (despite type c)
-no sd card slot
-no removable battery

These things all lower the price of manufacturing substantially.

mighty727

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
good points. looks like they are really covering the bases. i wonder what their margins really look like, I am sure they are pretty nice (from their perspective, not ours).

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Plus the invite system makes the phone more exclusive. Almost like a club. And us Android people love to be different. !!!power to the people!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind it honestly. I really don't have the time to be mashing at the share buttons and writing all over forums all day to get an invite as quick as possible, but I can wait for an invite. Not a big deal. Obviously would like a buy button a little more, but it also gives me the opportunity to really think if I should buy one or not, instead of just clicking that buy button.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the justification for the one plus invite system is that they were a new company with limited resources and unknown demand.

Why isn't anyone pointing out they're owned by oppo? A not new or weak company with plenty of experience?

It was a novel solution to a demand question on a novel idea. That's totally fine to test out. But IMO it should have been scrapped due to the massive displeasure it gave potential customers.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

bsanghani

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I actually like the invite system. People complain when they order their phone, then have to wait up to eight weeks to actually get it (iPhone 6 anyone?). This way you don't have to give them your money until they are ready to get you one.

Point is, people will complain no matter what. At least this way you keep your money a bit longer, and can just not order it if you find out it's a dog.

A company like Oneplus who boasts their own customized ROM has very flawed and laughable reservation system for those who intend to get invite to purchase Oneplus 2.
Just go to their invite page
Scroll to the bottom of the page
You will see reservation list.
Enter your email and click "count me in"
after some seconds s or any time per say, enter your same email again and click the button. It will still accept your email and allocate a position in the reservation list.
How ridicules is this???
This hypothetically means if you want higher percentage of getting invite just keep on entering your email as much as you want / can and then the system out of the pool will pick you up (remember your email will be there more number of times in the pool hence higher the change of you being picked up)..

This was not expected by a want to be giant company.

So SAD: mad::(:':)-[:mad:

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
A company like Oneplus who boasts their own customized ROM has very flawed and laughable reservation system for those who intend to get invite to purchase Oneplus 2.
Just go to their invite page
Scroll to the bottom of the page
You will see reservation list.
Enter your email and click "count me in"
after some seconds s or any time per say, enter your same email again and click the button. It will still accept your email and allocate a position in the reservation list.
How ridicules is this???
This hypothetically means if you want higher percentage of getting invite just keep on entering your email as much as you want / can and then the system out of the pool will pick you up (remember your email will be there more number of times in the pool hence higher the change of you being picked up)..

This was not expected by a want to be giant company.

So SAD: mad::(:':)-[:mad:

That's not how it works....at all really.

It's about how active you are in the forums and sharing the link you are given with others. The more people who click on your link to get to that same reservation page, the closer you get to an invite. It's not how many times you enter your email. You can enter your email again and again to check up on where you're reservation is at, but that doesn't change your place. That's why the twitter and Facebook links are there to share your unique link.

Is it the best way to sell a phone? No, definitely not. But I've seen the activity and number of reservations climb steadily since its been opened. So its seemingly effective.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I really don't mind invite system. It's not like OP2 is must buy phone. I do want to support one plus one but they won't let me lol. I may pick up moto x or nexus 5/6 this year.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Do I have any chance at this phone if I'm sitting at about 4300 on the reservation list?

Probably. I'm at about 29k now. Idk how they're gonna factor how many of those reservations are gonna actually get invites and when they will. But I'm starting to wonder if they really did have a buy button, how many more people actually will buy the phone.
Cause let's face it, as a tech junkie, I'm psyched to get my hands on this phone, but oneplus doesn't see that and won't give me an early invite to this phone since I don't spend 24/7 on the forums like others do. And I don't mind waiting for so long, but after what point am I gonna get tired of waiting?

Long story short, they're definitely losing potential customers due to wait times vs having an instant buy.

maccioli

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Same here. My Nex6 is great but want to see how the dedicated finger print button is, the notification toggle switch and little additions in their OS on top of Android....

I've got $400 for them. You'd think they'd want it ASAP...??? Especially if the 2015 Nex5 is announced before my invite is sent and my $$ goes to the Nex..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams