What do you think about the OnePlus 3?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Never have I felt so polarised about a phone. On one hand, it's almost perfect. And on the other hand, it's perfect again. But still, there's something about it which is stopping me from falling in love. I don't know what that is. I really don't.

What do you think?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you think?

For me it's the "Never Settle" here:

op3-render-tight-front%20copy.jpg

Since they compromised on screen (display res and brightness, don't know about accuracy yet), audio, battery, navigation, software, storage options, software updates, camera, charging technology, LTE bands, availability on customer's carriers of choice, etc, etc. Never Settle to me means, "we're leading the industry on all fronts" - even though they're weaker than something else on literally every front. Did they make an all around decent phone? Yeah, probably. At the very least, it's an improvement over last year and luckily they've toned down the nonsense about "flagship killers".

If I hadn't have seen the "Never Settle" image again, I'd probably have just been happy they improved over last year. But since it settled on literally everything that isn't RAM, I got stuck on wondering exactly what it is they think they're unwilling to compromise on.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Yes I agree. I think they "settled" on many aspects of the phone. Almost all of them. But still, we have to consider the price tag of this phone. I think they didn't settle there, an area where they're proud of the most.

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I just ordered one. Looks really good overall. I'll reserve judgment for when I get it and try it for a week or so. They do have a 15 return period so if it didn't work out I'd just send it back. Hoping it will work out though.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

For me it's the "Never Settle" here:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites...mages/2016/06/op3-render-tight-front copy.jpg

Since they compromised on screen (display res and brightness, don't know about accuracy yet), audio, battery, navigation, software, storage options, software updates, camera, charging technology, LTE bands, availability on customer's carriers of choice, etc, etc. Never Settle to me means, "we're leading the industry on all fronts" - even though they're weaker than something else on literally every front. Did they make an all around decent phone? Yeah, probably. At the very least, it's an improvement over last year and luckily they've toned down the nonsense about "flagship killers".

If I hadn't have seen the "Never Settle" image again, I'd probably have just been happy they improved over last year. But since it settled on literally everything that isn't RAM, I got stuck on wondering exactly what it is they think they're unwilling to compromise on.

There's 64GB of storage. How's that a compromise? Also, based on the reviews so far I wouldn't say the camera or battery are compromises either. And what's wrong with the navigation and charging technology?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

There's 64GB of storage. How's that a compromise? Also, based on the reviews so far I wouldn't say the camera or battery are compromises either. And what's wrong with the navigation and charging technology?

Nexus 6P is 128 max. Others have microSD with adoptable storage.

Battery size was reduced and it's smaller than other flagships.

Camera is specifically stated to be good but not the best.

Audio support is rock bottom basic.

Charging appears to ignore USB C spec and Power Delivery; will walk this back if they prove otherwise.

Navigation has soft and hard keys. As miyagi tells us, walk down middle, dinner or later, get a squish just like a grape.

I'm not saying this is a bad phone, in saying it is not only failing to lead in every category - it's failing to lead in ANY category. It's good enough in many categories, bit it definitely settled for less - and did so across the board. But it doesn't need a big list of places where it isn't the industry leader... it only takes one thing - and I've given at least a half a dozen examples of compromise.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes I agree. I think they "settled" on many aspects of the phone. Almost all of them. But still, we have to consider the price tag of this phone. I think they didn't settle there, an area where they're proud of the most.

Yes, I think they have a VERY compelling value argument that is separate from the midrange devices like the G. It's obvious many of the compromised items can be described as optimization of performance for value.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Charging appears to ignore USB C spec and Power Delivery; will walk this back if they prove otherwise.

Navigation has soft and hard keys. As miyagi tells us, walk down middle, dinner or later, get a squish just like a grape.

I'm not saying this is a bad phone, in saying it is not only failing to lead in every category - it's failing to lead in ANY category. It's good enough in many categories, bit it definitely settled for less - and did so across the board. But it doesn't need a big list of places where it isn't the industry leader... it only takes one thing - and I've given at least a half a dozen examples of compromise.

I'm not arguing that it's the best phone, but there's a difference between having the best camera and the biggest battery than it being a compromise.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Every OEM compromises on multiple aspects of every single device that is released. They have to because they have to meet a price point and a size constraint and Engineering concerns that are very complicated and they have to find a balance between performance and specs and the price that people are going to be willing to pay for that. Because as much as we might want the ultimate perfect phone, it it cost $5,000 how many of us are really going to line up a pre-order that thing? So it's not a bad thing that compromises are made, and it's not anything that's unique to this device. It's something that every device has in common. So my argument is that the phrase never settle should not appear anywhere because it's a ridiculous concept. It's such a level of expectation that the phone is going to be as close to perfect as any device we've seen and something from a marketing standpoint could be done differently to just make the argument that it is a very well built device and an excellent value for consumers. Or whatever they want to talk on there.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm not arguing that it's the best phone, but there's a difference between having the best camera and the biggest battery than it being a compromise.
Long story short I'm just not a fan of a marketing strategy that pretends the compromises are over especially when it's being conducted by somebody that's leaving in exactly zero categories. Of course there are compromises and it is impossible do not have compromises. Which means a device can be the best out there still have compromises and there is no shame in saying that something was compromised on in order to execute on a device. So they should just Market it differently.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

I think it leads in the performance department.

1080p + Oxygen OS + 6GB RAM = winner for me. I don't think there's any other phone out there running close to stock android and maybe even a better version of it with such speed and consistency. I've used the oneplus one. They really know how to optimise the software with hardware.

So for me I think they lead in the software plus performance department. And that too at a reasonable price. Of course performance isn't everything. But it's mostly most of it all for many.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I liked what I saw enough to order one today. It's down to this or the HTC 10 for me. Until I see the next Nexus stuff. It doesn't have that one major WOW factor. But for me it has everything I want. I love stock but want some additions and this has it. I'm pretty excited that I can come back to Android from my 6s Plus and actually make money.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, this is what I feel OnePlus should be doing.

Instead of gimmicky marketing stuff and hype trains, they should be making phones that pack in great hardware with a solid software experience at a superb price. The OnePlus One got that, but they stumbled with the OnePlus 2. The OnePlus 3 is a return to form in my eyes, since it does pack in high-end hardware (albeit with some compromise, but not as much as the 2) at an excellent price. Plus, with the invite system now gone, it's easier to obtain.

As for "Never Settle", maybe that's an overachieving tagline.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site

Everything you're stating here is subjective to you're own interpretation. So they capped you at 64gb of storage? so what. Yes you can get 128gb on the 6p but you are also talking about paying $200 more. At that point oneplus buyers would then opt for a more expensive phone but then we wouldn't be talking about a great budger phone, just a expensive flagship. The battery at 3000 is on par with almost every flagship. The HTC 10, G5, S7, 6s plus, Moto Z, all have 3000mah or smaller batteries. Camera...when did they say they wanted to be the best, never settle doesn't have to mean its the best, just that they are providing a good enough option at the price point they are offering. Its on par with most of the flagship camera with the exception of maybe the S7 and G5. navigation buttons are you're preference.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Everything you're stating here is subjective to you're own interpretation. So they capped you at 64gb of storage? so what. Yes you can get 128gb on the 6p but you are also talking about paying $200 more. At that point oneplus buyers would then opt for a more expensive phone but then we wouldn't be talking about a great budger phone, just a expensive flagship. The battery at 3000 is on par with almost every flagship. The HTC 10, G5, S7, 6s plus, Moto Z, all have 3000mah or smaller batteries. Camera...when did they say they wanted to be the best, never settle doesn't have to mean its the best, just that they are providing a good enough option at the price point they are offering. Its on par with most of the flagship camera with the exception of maybe the S7 and G5. navigation buttons are you're preference.
Don't think you read my posts. Taken together they're pretty clear.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I think they've done a nice job, especially at that price point. Lots of people will be happy with the phone, I'm sure. It's not the phone for me, though, for two reasons:

1. I'm still holding out for a great phone with a screen size of 5.2" that doesn't have some sort of horrible skin (I'm looking at you, Galaxy S7) for my next device.

2. OnePlus has not proven reliable with software updates in the past. The OnePlus 2 just got Marshmallow; how long will the 3 have to wait for Android N? Until OnePlus shows a commitment to timely updates, I'll pass.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Looks great, specs are great, price performance, camera everything looks like a winner based on reviews. Only thing I worry is the software updates since one plus is pretty bad based on their recent history.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I think they've done a nice job, especially at that price point. Lots of people will be happy with the phone, I'm sure. It's not the phone for me, though, for two reasons:

1. I'm still holding out for a great phone with a screen size of 5.2" that doesn't have some sort of horrible skin (I'm looking at you, Galaxy S7) for my next device.

2. OnePlus has not proven reliable with software updates in the past. The OnePlus 2 just got Marshmallow; how long will the 3 have to wait for Android N? Until OnePlus shows a commitment to timely updates, I'll pass.

How many more years will we have people continue to blame a skin for the reason they didn't buy a phone? Are there really people out there who have no clue how easy it is to install google now launcher and essentially make your phone a stock nexus device?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How many more years will we have people continue to blame a skin for the reason they didn't buy a phone? Are there really people out there who have no clue how easy it is to install google now launcher and essentially make your phone a stock nexus device?

"Skins" are much deeper than the launcher. TouchWiz is the firmware, it penetrates the launcher, settings, menus, app intentions and even memory management.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech