07-05-2017 06:00 AM
78 123 ...
tools
    Even though most probably haven't received their devices yet, I figured we could start the trial and error discussion of good and bad protectors, halo or no halo, too big too small. I pre-ordered this through Amazon.

Oneplus 3 Screen Protector, Asmart High Definition 9H Hardness Tempered Glass Front Screen Protector for Oneplus Three, 2.5D Round Edge, Bubble-free (Clear) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GLSEA1E...cUvbUpU5228746

We'll see how it goes. I'll post results once I get it.
    06-17-2016 03:22 PM
    I looked on Amazon the other day and didn't see a single tempered glass screen protector, let alone any screen protectors... This must be brand new. I do use these on every device I own, and sadly oneplus was sold out when I tried ordering one with the device.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-18-2016 01:18 AM
    I ordered some cheap Chinese ones from eBay, not always the best, but I have had luck in the past.

It's best to assume I'm being sarcastic. if I'm ever serious I'll type "/s" to make it clear.
    06-18-2016 10:47 AM
    I'm actually quite interested in this topic at the moment - I've almost never used a screen protector before, don't like 'em, but now that one has been factory fitted to my device I'm toying with the idea of getting the tempered glass one.

Does it cover more of the front of the phone? The current one isn't great as it doesn't reach the edges of the device so my thumb slips off it as I'm swiping across the screen. Also, does it feel nicer?
    06-21-2016 05:44 AM
    I'm actually quite interested in this topic at the moment - I've almost never used a screen protector before, don't like 'em, but now that one has been factory fitted to my device I'm toying with the idea of getting the tempered glass one.

Does it cover more of the front of the phone? The current one isn't great as it doesn't reach the edges of the device so my thumb slips off it as I'm swiping across the screen. Also, does it feel nicer?
    Tempered glass screen protectors feel exactly like the phones screen. And yes they generally do go as far to the edges as possible. It is noticeable that they add an extra layer of thickness to your phones screen, but I think the protection is completely worth it. I use glad screen protectors on all my phone's now. I've cracked a few of them but saved the screen itself. They're worth it.

JonnyT likes this.
    06-21-2016 06:01 AM
    Thanks mchockeyvette - given the price I'll probably just order one of these up. Are there any particular brands people tend to recommend or is OEM best?
    06-21-2016 08:00 AM
    I got a cheap screen protector for free when I got a case for my HTC Evo 4G back in 2010, and put it on, kept it on for a day, then ripped it off and thought "never again." Then I got a tempered glass screen protector for my Nexus 5x, and I have to say, it's a world of difference: The screen feels the same as it does without one on. I often throw my phone in a bag, or some place where there's a possibility of light dust/sand putting light scratches on the screen.

With the screen protector, when/if that happens 1) it's not happening to the screen and 2) you can just replace it, or rip it off and sell the phone with a 'like new' screen.

I think it actually helps with tactile response, since over time, any oleophobic coating wears off, but replacing the protector lets you keep the factory coating, and again, is replaceable.
    JonnyT likes this.
    06-21-2016 08:01 AM
    I ordered one as well. It won't go all the way to the edges because of the curved screen. But it will get close. Just FYI.
    JonnyT likes this.
    06-21-2016 08:02 AM
    I ordered the Oneplus 3 with the tempered glass screen protector. I used to be no fan of these kind of protectors but since one of my phones felt and the glass was broken I always use them. My samsung S5 felt out of my pocket while moving on the bike, bouncing on the ground a couple of times. Only this tempered glass was broken, my screen was looking fine. So, I can advice them to you!

But... as I said, I orderd the OnePlus 3 with the tempered glass screen protector. I think the quality is very good, also the installation manual. But I do NOT like the size. I think it's too small. See the picture below for yourself, maybe difficult to see. There is +/- 3mm left and right of the screen where the tempered glass does not reach.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Strange I think!
    As areyes163 said, It won't go to the edge, but it's not because the edge is curved, it's flat where the tempered glass should be fitted
    JonnyT likes this.
    06-23-2016 06:32 AM
    I ordered the Oneplus 3 with the tempered glass screen protector. I used to be no fan of these kind of protectors but since one of my phones felt and the glass was broken I always use them. My samsung S5 felt out of my pocket while moving on the bike, bouncing on the ground a couple of times. Only this tempered glass was broken, my screen was looking fine. So, I can advice them to you!

But... as I said, I orderd the OnePlus 3 with the tempered glass screen protector. I think the quality is very good, also the installation manual. But I do NOT like the size. I think it's too small. See the picture below for yourself, maybe difficult to see. There is +/- 3mm left and right of the screen where the tempered glass does not reach.

Strange I think!
    As areyes163 said, It won't go to the edge, but it's not because the edge is curved, it's flat where the tempered glass should be fitted
    Thanks very much for uploading photos - I think I'm going to hold off a little bit until I can find one that fits better, one of the things I really don't like about the pre-fitted one is that it doesn't actually cover the screen, there are actual lit pixels outside of it and it's silly if I'm scrolling to the edge. Much appreciated!
    06-23-2016 08:45 AM

Strange I think!
    When looking very closely at the edges, it does look like it curves ever so slightly a couple mm in. And I think they're trying to avoid even the slightest of error when you apply the protector. Which is kinda a bummer, but I guess that's how they chose to do it. And it's better than nothing.

There also seems to be almost nothing available for the phone yet, be it screen protectors or cases. Except OEM of course. Guess I'll just pony up for their glass protector and live with the edges.

06-23-2016 08:49 AM
    debating on taking stock off. I went naked on OG Moto X and 2014 Moto X PE and had a few small scratches on OG and none on the PE. I worry tho since this phone is bigger than both of the others. I still have stock on it...but I just got the device 4 hours ago...
    06-23-2016 09:49 PM
    Just FYI - I'm 24 hours with the protector off and loads of scratches, despite having never had one on my Galaxy S6 edge in over a year of having it and never having a screen protector (actually contributing to me thinking they aren't all that. Looks like they are.) I am...quite shocked, if I'm honest. #regrets
    06-24-2016 07:54 AM
    3 days with the OEM screen protector off and no scratches. How do you handle your phone?
    06-24-2016 10:21 AM
    Yea that is a very poorly designed protector. The one I have on my Nexus 5 is right at the edge. With the case on my phone you can hardly tell it has a protector on it.
    singelectric likes this.
    06-24-2016 12:06 PM
    3 days with the OEM screen protector off and no scratches. How do you handle your phone?
    I honestly don't know what I've done with this vs. Other phones I've had. Genuine WTF mode right now.

06-25-2016 09:37 AM
    I honestly don't know what I've done with this vs. Other phones I've had. Genuine WTF mode right now.

That sucks man. Now you have me paranoid and I am over-checking my screen for scratches all the time.
    06-25-2016 10:01 AM

Been to the beach recently?

06-25-2016 10:18 AM
    Tempered glass screen protectors feel exactly like the phones screen. And yes they generally do go as far to the edges as possible. It is noticeable that they add an extra layer of thickness to your phones screen, but I think the protection is completely worth it. I use glad screen protectors on all my phone's now. I've cracked a few of them but saved the screen itself. They're worth it.

I bought the one from oneplus website it does not cover the hole screen it have a huge amount left on the side i took it off
    06-25-2016 01:37 PM
    That sucks man. Now you have me paranoid and I am over-checking my screen for scratches all the time.
    I assumed all Gorilla Glass 4 screens were created equal. Maybe I've been an ***** in, like... the last 2 days.

06-25-2016 07:16 PM
    I just bought one of these http://www.oppomart.com/tempered-gla...oneplus-3.html

Should be an edge to edge glass protector. Got the info from the oneplus threads.

tpmbb10 likes this.
    06-26-2016 02:07 PM
    The tempered glass OEM OnePlus protector is crap. Literally the worst one I've ever used because of the fit. Not even close to the edge of the screen. Can't even open things like the menu in the Play Store without catching your finger on the edge. And not even to mention the screen distortion at the edges when your watching movies or videos. Just the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Lasted me about two days before I had to get rid of it.

Waste of money. Skip skip skip.
    singelectric likes this.
    06-27-2016 12:27 AM
    Currently Ordered a cheap one on ebay. Looking for some better once to come out.
    06-27-2016 01:18 PM
    The thing with the screen protector is every device with the curved display has this issue. However there are a few companys that are making screen protectors for curved displays. I have not used them myself so I cannot say if they are decent or not but they are coming along. This is just not a one plus issue though. iPhone and the S7 edge are the same way. Drives me nuts however.
    06-27-2016 02:57 PM
    The thing with the screen protector is every device with the curved display has this issue. However there are a few companys that are making screen protectors for curved displays. I have not used them myself so I cannot say if they are decent or not but they are coming along. This is just not a one plus issue though. iPhone and the S7 edge are the same way. Drives me nuts however.
    Yes exactly. Some are worse than others, but it's still not exclusive to one device. Even my 6p has curved edges and the tempered glass is tucked in as well. Not quite as much as the oneplus, but still there.

06-27-2016 03:17 PM
78 123 ...