10-02-2016 01:18 AM
67 123
tools
    Literally every phone has compromises - some are based on price, some on space, some on heat considerations, some on weight, some on what's available at the time (looking at you Nexus 6). The OP3 has more than most that want to be considered "flagships"; having compromises isn't bad. Failing to admit them is bad.
    I agree with that. I have never seen any phone that has literally no-compromise, for a variety of reasons, whether that's price, build or heat, regardless of price.

I wouldn't mind if OnePlus admitted that there were some compromises for any reason, but saying that no corners were cut was quite a stretch to me. Don't get me wrong, I still like the phone, especially for its hardware and relative price tag, but obviously, some compromises have to be made. That goes for any phone out there.
    06-24-2016 10:39 PM
    Yeah the OP3 has a very compelling value argument that is slightly twisted by the Nexus 5X but otherwise immensely strong.
    06-24-2016 10:53 PM
    Yeah the OP3 has a very compelling value argument that is slightly twisted by the Nexus 5X but otherwise immensely strong.
    Personally not big on the 5X, but I hope its successor would be a real gem at around the same price.

Nothing wrong with the phone itself, though. Just that I wasn't so keen on it.
    06-24-2016 10:57 PM
    820 snapdragon
    ufs
    6gb ram
    highest quality finger print sensor
    high grade aluminum frame
    gorilla glass 4

I don't see where they cut corners.

The display is 1080p but that was more for performance than cost. It is the latest generation that Samsung has to offer. Lots of people also like the screen, so in the end it's just your own opinion.

Oh and it's $399.

What I never understand about people is nobody is forcing you to buy things. If you don't like it, there are plenty of Android devices that can suit your needs. If you can't afford those devices, that's most likely your fault and not the manufacturers. So if this doesn't fit your needs, ignore it. No reason to come in here and bash the device, saying they failed to deliver.

Nobody is entitled to receive the perfect phone at a budget price. Nobody.

Posted via the Android Central App
    sarsau likes this.
    06-25-2016 12:22 AM
    The One Plus 3 a mid ranger? Lol come on man this thing is absurdly good. Battery life is nuts so far and it simply does not even get warm no matter what you throw at it, 1080p was an excellent choice IMO. Screen looks great. Nope not as sharp at my LG V10 or nexus 6 and about equal to my iPhone 6s. The pentile arrangement makes it so the effective resolution is 880p which translates to 326 ppi on a 5.5 inch screen, that's the so called retina threshold, I think they know what they're doing guys.

I will say that going from the v10 to the one plus 3 was a startling difference in screen sharpness but your eyes adjust and I got used to it pretty quick and the quality itself looks far better than my super warm whites of the nexus 6 and the blacks are worlds better than the greyish ones on the V10.

I also find it hilarious that people are bashing the 1+3 for having 6gb of ram because "we don't need it" but in the very next breath they say that they should have gone 1440p on the screen, um yep because that's "needed" alright.

If corners were cut it was on that craptastic screen protector that comes pre installed
    sarsau and randall2580 like this.
    06-25-2016 04:08 AM
    I don't see where they cut corners.

The display is 1080p but that was more for performance than cost.
    Like what me and Assassin said in one of our previous posts, every phone has its own set of compromises for a variety of reasons. Whether that's a smaller battery for a thinner build in the Moto Z or iPhone, a slippery design for a more "premium" build that allows for wireless charging on the Galaxy S7 or a little gap between the chin and body of the device for the LG G5's removable battery that doubles as a modular component.

The 1080p display is obviously a compromise. Some say it's for price but others say it's for performance. To me, it's more of a mix of the 2. Is it a deal breaker? To me, no. Sure, it's PenTile, but in daily use, I really don't think you'd be bothered that much unless you use your phone for VR or operate at a closer distance. If you're the type who favors accurate color reproduction, then maybe the OnePlus 3 may not be up your alley, but I don't think it's an issue that most consumers and users will mind too much, though I'm curious about the sRGB mode, especially since early impressions did remark that it was "pleasant to look at" in that mode, so I'm curious to see how much of a difference sRGB makes in terms of color accuracy. Remember, it's a $399 phone, so don't expect too much out of it, but for what it is and what it offers, it's actually a pretty damn good phone, especially when you consider its price.

I still think Pei's statement that they didn't cut any corners is a bit of a stretch because every phone has its own set of compromises to reach a bottom line. It's up to you to decide if those compromises are worth it. You buy what you like.

06-25-2016 07:02 AM
    I hear a lot of people calling this a mid range phone but, apart from the pentile display, I think I'm missing how this is mid range?

This phone switched me off of Samsung because it is faster, has tiny side bezels, less bloat, an OS almost like Nova and it's the fastest phone - by a margin - I've used. I also didn't have to spend a sorry amount extra for 64GB cause that's included in the cheap, advertised price.

The build quality is awesome too btw. What have I missed here?

Edit: it's got the only fast charging you should be using on a phone too, btw. Hot charger/Cool phone is the only way things should be done. I never used fast charging on my Samsung, what was the point when it generated so much heat?

randall2580 likes this.
    06-25-2016 09:06 PM
    I hear a lot of people calling this a mid range phone but, apart from the pentile display, I think I'm missing how this is mid range?

This phone switched me off of Samsung because it is faster, has tiny side bezels, less bloat, an OS almost like Nova and it's the fastest phone - by a margin - I've used. I also didn't have to spend a sorry amount extra for 64GB cause that's included in the cheap, advertised price.

The build quality is awesome too btw. What have I missed here?

Edit: it's got the only fast charging you should be using on a phone too, btw. Hot charger/Cool phone is the only way things should be done. I never used fast charging on my Samsung, what was the point when it generated so much heat?

When you say "a lot of people" do you mean Assassin Droid? lol I've gone into it with him in other places how silly that is.

On the 5X, I wouldn't choose that over a OnePlus 2, or a Nexus 5, let alone a 3. It's the worst Nexus there's been, a true let down to its predecessor.

randall2580, Gdwheel and sarsau like this.
    06-25-2016 09:24 PM
    When you say "a lot of people" do you mean Assassin Droid? lol I've gone into it with him in other places how silly that is.

On the 5X, I wouldn't choose that over a OnePlus 2, or a Nexus 5, let alone a 3. It's the worst Nexus there's been, a true let down to its predecessor.

TBH, I wouldn't pick both the 5X and OP2.
    06-25-2016 10:45 PM

lol.

The 5X is not the 6P so it doesn't compare to the S7E but it's hands down the best phone per dollar unless you get a discount on a year old moto G and snag it for under $100. It definitely hangs with the 2015 devices, though towards the middle of the pack.

To combat the hyperbole, compared to the Nexus 5 it's cheaper. It also has a better screen, camera, audio, security, charging, battery life, build quality, processor... It's literally better across the board on 100% of options.
    06-26-2016 01:50 AM

I agree, the 5x is some serious trash. The OG Nexus 5 is a better phone. The One Plus 3 is such a powerhouse, my nexus 6 feels like a 1st gen Moto g in comparison performance wise
    06-26-2016 02:40 AM
    If you want to speak of "cutting corners" the 5x is a study in that. From the processor to the screen to the memory just about every corner was cut so that the overall experience with the phone is very poor. Lag, heat, want to throw it through a wall are the complaints I hear from the folks I know who own one, all of whom would not repeat the process if they had it to do over again.

The pricing of the phone is reflective of poor word of mouth affecting sales of the phone. Google is going to have to seriously discount the phone to move them all - which is absolutely amazing in my eyes. There is a market for this phone, folks want a phone of this size - but they don't want a phone with the 5x's drawbacks.

The OP3 is in fact a phone that is better than the sum of it's parts at least IMHO. I've had it now just about a week and notice no problems at all. No compromises that I can see, as long as I can continue to keep it out of the toilet. I find it absolutely amazing I'm coming from the Priv and it's absolutely awful experience (I still don't understand how AC made this phone an editor's pick) and the OP3 for 1/2 the original price, and still 150 below what BlackBerry is asking for it now, simply blows it away.
    06-26-2016 09:27 AM
    If you want to speak of "cutting corners" the 5x is a study in that. From the processor to the screen to the memory just about every corner was cut so that the overall experience with the phone is very poor. Lag, heat, want to throw it through a wall are the complaints I hear from the folks I know who own one, all of whom would not repeat the process if they had it to do over again.

The pricing of the phone is reflective of poor word of mouth affecting sales of the phone. Google is going to have to seriously discount the phone to move them all - which is absolutely amazing in my eyes. There is a market for this phone, folks want a phone of this size - but they don't want a phone with the 5x's drawbacks.

The OP3 is in fact a phone that is better than the sum of it's parts at least IMHO. I've had it now just about a week and notice no problems at all. No compromises that I can see, as long as I can continue to keep it out of the toilet. I find it absolutely amazing I'm coming from the Priv and it's absolutely awful experience (I still don't understand how AC made this phone an editor's pick) and the OP3 for 1/2 the original price, and still 150 below what BlackBerry is asking for it now, simply blows it away.
    They definitely aimed at a price point for the 5X, but not as drastically as you imply. They put on what was at the time the best screen in the industry for accuracy and still the best LCD. Yes it's plastic, but very well built. It has the SD 808, which at least two other flagships used last year. I did hear about performance issues but that was solved before I bought mine a few months ago. They implemented the best charging solution, dual front facing speakers, the best fingerprint scanner in the business and did so at a super low price.

That was an exercise in value. The difference is, Google wasn't trying to complete with the best of the best, they just came super close anyways because most of a device quality is found in the display, software, battery life, etc and there were definitely no shortcuts taken on those fronts.

Even today it's better than the OP3 on display, audio, charging tech, battery life, software quality, software updates and security and it's very comparable on camera and the actual performance on real world usage. It also works on more carriers and has more options available to the users buying the device. It's obviously not metal and the processing power of the OP3 is much better, once they fix the memory management. OP also has more storage, 64 isn't an option on the 5X and it should have been.

Today, that makes the 5X a better and cheaper device. By virtue at being better in more areas of the device. Is it better for everyone? Hell no. When OP fixes their software, they're going to be too close to call and it'll have to be based on the priorities of individual buyers.
    06-26-2016 11:41 AM
    When I take subjective categories out of the equation, here's where I land on the OP3 comparison to the Nexus 5X

The 5X wins more categories but the OP3 wins more sub categories and which categories are being won based on which qualities are most important to the users would make a HUGE difference in which is the best value. The OP3 destroyed on Camera, Performance and Build & Design and I gave them the nod on battery as noted. Since those are 3 hugely important factors, most people could stop the conversation there, look past the screen and be happy as a turtle in a bathtub with the OP3. I'm pretty into the screen, some subjective things that I didn't include, camera and software, security and software updates so that's how it becomes a closer fight for someone like me.
    06-26-2016 12:08 PM
    They definitely aimed at a price point for the 5X, but not as drastically as you imply. They put on what was at the time the best screen in the industry for accuracy and still the best LCD. Yes it's plastic, but very well built. It has the SD 808, which at least two other flagships used last year. I did hear about performance issues but that was solved before I bought mine a few months ago. They implemented the best charging solution, dual front facing speakers, the best fingerprint scanner in the business and did so at a super low price.

That was an exercise in value. The difference is, Google wasn't trying to complete with the best of the best, they just came super close anyways because most of a device quality is found in the display, software, battery life, etc and there were definitely no shortcuts taken on those fronts.

Even today it's better than the OP3 on display, audio, charging tech, battery life, software quality, software updates and security and it's very comparable on camera and the actual performance on real world usage. It also works on more carriers and has more options available to the users buying the device. It's obviously not metal and the processing power of the OP3 is much better, once they fix the memory management. OP also has more storage, 64 isn't an option on the 5X and it should have been.

Today, that makes the 5X a better and cheaper device. By virtue at being better in more areas of the device. Is it better for everyone? Hell no. When OP fixes their software, they're going to be too close to call and it'll have to be based on the priorities of individual buyers.
    The only thing the 5X has over the OP3 is quicker updates. Other than that, the OP3 is a superior phone.

fuzzylumpkin and Armeniandave like this.
    06-26-2016 12:08 PM
    The only thing the 5X has over the OP3 is quicker updates. Other than that, the OP3 is a superior phone.

And a much better screen, charging tech, security... Never mind, you didn't read before responding. It has many advantages, detailed above. You quoted many of them.
    06-26-2016 12:12 PM
    The screen is subjectively better in your opinion, why is the charging tech better? He gave you security, the only security feature the 5X has is Nexus update speed, and as of right now they're on the same patch level...

Tbh at this point it seems you're either trolling or attempting to convince us (and yourself) that the 5X is a better device than it is so you don't have to feel buyers remorse/can feel proud that you made a savvy purchase.

anon(1733) and Gdwheel like this.
    06-26-2016 01:13 PM
    Assassin droid do you even have the OP3? Just curious because you do a lot of talking all over these forums. If you don't like the device that's fine. If you think it's a inferior device that's fine. But just because you post things all over multiple forums doesn't make you a expert. Even most of these so called experts are not.

Every one has their own opinions on devices. I have owned most of the devices out there. I don't go pushing my beliefs on anyone. And when I'm done I just move on. I get it. You don't like the device. That's fine. You don't have to. But why don't you just stop posting here then. It's obvious no one wants to hear you. Just move on to the forum of the device you do like. Help out there. That makes more sense.
    CTalman likes this.
    06-26-2016 01:36 PM
    Assassin droid do you even have the OP3? Just curious because you do a lot of talking all over these forums. If you don't like the device that's fine. If you think it's a inferior device that's fine. But just because you post things all over multiple forums doesn't make you a expert. Even most of these so called experts are not.

Every one has their own opinions on devices. I have owned most of the devices out there. I don't go pushing my beliefs on anyone. And when I'm done I just move on. I get it. You don't like the device. That's fine. You don't have to. But why don't you just stop posting here then. It's obvious no one wants to hear you. Just move on to the forum of the device you do like. Help out there. That makes more sense.
    I post in any and all of the forums and have for over 4 years. Please check the forum rules out if you want to figure out if you ought to be telling people where they can and cannot post.

As for the rest, I'm not talking about opinions. I've spent years encouraging people to buy whatever they like and not to change what they like in order to conform to what others like. But in my posts about the OP3, I'm referring to the objective facts about the device compared to others. When people argue against facts by saying what they like or sharing their opinions, cool - great, like what you want to and believe what you want, but I'm going to reiterate the facts because they don't change based on who is stating them. So the points above - on the chart for example, are objective points about two devices except for the battery category where I ruled a tie in favor of the OP3.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-26-2016 02:17 PM
    The screen is subjectively better in your opinion, why is the charging tech better? He gave you security, the only security feature the 5X has is Nexus update speed, and as of right now they're on the same patch level...

Tbh at this point it seems you're either trolling or attempting to convince us (and yourself) that the 5X is a better device than it is so you don't have to feel buyers remorse/can feel proud that you made a savvy purchase.

The screen is objectively better based on measurements. I didn't weigh in my opinion. The charging tech is better because it follows the USB C spec with power delivery rather than a proprietary strategy that offers less benefits and requires users to only use OEM components.

Guys, do some research before objecting to facts. Objecting to facts by stating "disagreement" with them just doesn't make sense. I'm glad you like the device and that's cool - but it doesn't give license to lie about its qualities or change facts to suit your preferences.

I buy exactly what I want based on my preferences. We're not talking about my preferences, we're talking about objectively facts. If you guys can't distinguish between facts and opinions, there's no point in continuing the discussion because that's a very poor way to debate.

I'll point you to the rules as well, it seems like several people in this thread want to ignore them. Calling another member a troll or accusing them of trolling is trolling.
    06-26-2016 02:23 PM
    The screen is objectively better based on measurements. I didn't weigh in my opinion. The charging tech is better because it follows the USB C spec with power delivery rather than a proprietary strategy that offers less benefits and requires users to only use OEM components.

Guys, do some research before objecting to facts. Objecting to facts by stating "disagreement" with them just doesn't make sense. I'm glad you like the device and that's cool - but it doesn't give license to lie about its qualities or change facts to suit your preferences.

I buy exactly what I want based on my preferences. We're not talking about my preferences, we're talking about objectively facts. If you guys can't distinguish between facts and opinions, there's no point in continuing the discussion because that's a very poor way to debate.

I'll point you to the rules as well, it seems like several people in this thread want to ignore them. Calling another member a troll or accusing them of trolling is trolling.
    You just called me a troll, that's trolling. Stahp.

"there's no point in continuing the discussion because that's a very poor way to debate." If I say you're right, Will you stop?

06-26-2016 02:44 PM
    You just called me a troll, that's trolling. Stahp.

"there's no point in continuing the discussion because that's a very poor way to debate." If I say you're right, Will you stop?

I did not call you a troll. I reminded you to review the part of the rules that you are violating. If we need to take that part of the conversation offline we can do that, but my advice is to let it go and simply read the rules rather than arguing about them with the moderator team in posts (also against the rules, which you'll see if you reread them).

And it is very difficult to have a sincere conversation when the oneplus crowd, yourself included, values their subjective uninformed opinions over actual measurements. One simply cannot say, for example, that the op3 screen is better than the 5x. That's simply not true and so repeating it is either dishonest or perverse. One can say they prefer one over the other, but that's neither here nor there because the CEO is trying to say the screen doesn't suck AND that people love it. The love it is irrelevant and disingenuous because what he's arguing against is the fact that it's terrible according to objective measurements. So he's wrong and kicking out a logical fallacy to double down on being wrong. My comments here are due to the CEO either being grossly misinformed or dishonest, either one is unacceptable so it's important to set the record straight on the actual facts of the situation.

If you and the other oneplus fans cannot produce measurements to dispute facts, then the opinions being weighed against the facts remain useless. that's what I'm saying and for some reason people are missing the point and assuming I dont like the phone or that I'm a Samsung fanboy or whatever. All of that is wrong. I simply abhor people lying in the forums and using this community to spread misinformation. So yes, I'm going to speak out against this type of behavior. Giving credence to the CEO is doing a disservice to us all.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-26-2016 03:06 PM
    I have to admit that I have not played more than a short time with a friends 5x so what I know about that phone is mostly anecdotal. 3 friends bought the device all 3 have moved on. Read Nexus 5X, three months on | Android Central of 5 reviewers, 5 site lag and poor performance, only 1 says not to a point where it's a concern.

I believe that the SD 808 and 810 will be looked at by history as a step back for Qualcomm. It was more than interesting that Samsung reportedly stopped development on the 810 after testing found the processor wanting, and simply not as good as it's in house Exynos, but that they went back to the 820 with the S7. I own both the S7E and the OP 3 and both phones sail - the 820 is more than just a step up in performance it's a much better package and lends to a much better user experience just on it's own.

I also have to disagree some with your blanket statement that the Nexus QC is better than Dash. Dash is extremely fast and what it does do is take the management off the phone. I did not have a Nexus as I said but I did have the BlackBerry Priv running QC 2.0. Plugged into a QC 2.0 certified charger the phone would often get extremely hot especially if it was in the car running GMaps and PocketCasts at the same time, while charging The phone would obviously throttle at times and get to the point where it would just lock up, especially if a call came in in the midst of it. Removing that thermal challenge is going to be a benefit to the phone without a doubt. We will probably agree to disagree on this one.

The N5x wins audio because it has a front facing speaker that many describe as "tinny" (see the review captioned above). The bottom facing speaker on the OP3 is actually fairly good for a bottom facing speaker. Let me quickly add as well to watch the pocket now review and their comments about the headphone jack on the OP3.

Finally I know you think this is subjective, but eventually dark mode will find it's way back into stock Android. The OP3 has it in it's software. I also like the notifications toggle. Also subjective.

As I said earlier I think the OP3 is a package that works better than the sum of it's parts, I feel (again based on anecdotal evidence) that the N5x might be a package that does not live up to the sum of it's parts. I know they've made it better since launch, but I still believe there are persistent problems that nag that phone.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-26-2016 03:09 PM
    [note] Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling.[/note] Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    06-26-2016 03:13 PM
    I also have to disagree some with your blanket statement that the Nexus QC is better than Dash
    The Nexus doesn't have QC, it uses USB C with Power Delivery, which is 98% as fast as Quick Charge 3.0 but carries none of the risks. Dash Charge is definitely fast, but it's not following the industry standards and uses a proprietary methodology that makes the user have to use only their wall charger and cables. Proprietary tech when it violates a superior industry standard is always inferior.

I have to admit that I have not played more than a short time with a friends 5x so what I know about that phone is mostly anecdotal. 3 friends bought the device all 3 have moved on. Read Nexus 5X, three months on | Android Central of 5 reviewers, 5 site lag and poor performance, only 1 says not to a point where it's a concern.
    Yeah I know that they were having issues, I got mine after the software had already been fixed - which is exactly what I'm hoping happens with the OP3 - they can fix many of their issues with software patches and have said that they intend to.

I believe that the SD 808 and 810 will be looked at by history as a step back for Qualcomm. It was more than interesting that Samsung reportedly stopped development on the 810 after testing found the processor wanting, and simply not as good as it's in house Exynos, but that they went back to the 820 with the S7. I own both the S7E and the OP 3 and both phones sail - the 820 is more than just a step up in performance it's a much better package and lends to a much better user experience just on it's own.
    Agree on this fully except the Snapdragon 810 V2.1, which is what's in the Nexus 6P - which is a big step up from the one in the LG Flex 2. The 820 is hands down better.
    06-26-2016 03:55 PM
67 123