Display criticism sends OnePlus CEO on a rant

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only thing the 5X has over the OP3 is quicker updates. Other than that, the OP3 is a superior phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
And a much better screen, charging tech, security... Never mind, you didn't read before responding. It has many advantages, detailed above. You quoted many of them.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The screen is subjectively better in your opinion, why is the charging tech better? He gave you security, the only security feature the 5X has is Nexus update speed, and as of right now they're on the same patch level...

Tbh at this point it seems you're either trolling or attempting to convince us (and yourself) that the 5X is a better device than it is so you don't have to feel buyers remorse/can feel proud that you made a savvy purchase.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Assassin droid do you even have the OP3? Just curious because you do a lot of talking all over these forums. If you don't like the device that's fine. If you think it's a inferior device that's fine. But just because you post things all over multiple forums doesn't make you a expert. Even most of these so called experts are not.

Every one has their own opinions on devices. I have owned most of the devices out there. I don't go pushing my beliefs on anyone. And when I'm done I just move on. I get it. You don't like the device. That's fine. You don't have to. But why don't you just stop posting here then. It's obvious no one wants to hear you. Just move on to the forum of the device you do like. Help out there. That makes more sense.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Assassin droid do you even have the OP3? Just curious because you do a lot of talking all over these forums. If you don't like the device that's fine. If you think it's a inferior device that's fine. But just because you post things all over multiple forums doesn't make you a expert. Even most of these so called experts are not.

Every one has their own opinions on devices. I have owned most of the devices out there. I don't go pushing my beliefs on anyone. And when I'm done I just move on. I get it. You don't like the device. That's fine. You don't have to. But why don't you just stop posting here then. It's obvious no one wants to hear you. Just move on to the forum of the device you do like. Help out there. That makes more sense.

I post in any and all of the forums and have for over 4 years. Please check the forum rules out if you want to figure out if you ought to be telling people where they can and cannot post.

As for the rest, I'm not talking about opinions. I've spent years encouraging people to buy whatever they like and not to change what they like in order to conform to what others like. But in my posts about the OP3, I'm referring to the objective facts about the device compared to others. When people argue against facts by saying what they like or sharing their opinions, cool - great, like what you want to and believe what you want, but I'm going to reiterate the facts because they don't change based on who is stating them. So the points above - on the chart for example, are objective points about two devices except for the battery category where I ruled a tie in favor of the OP3.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The screen is subjectively better in your opinion, why is the charging tech better? He gave you security, the only security feature the 5X has is Nexus update speed, and as of right now they're on the same patch level...

Tbh at this point it seems you're either trolling or attempting to convince us (and yourself) that the 5X is a better device than it is so you don't have to feel buyers remorse/can feel proud that you made a savvy purchase.

The screen is objectively better based on measurements. I didn't weigh in my opinion. The charging tech is better because it follows the USB C spec with power delivery rather than a proprietary strategy that offers less benefits and requires users to only use OEM components.

Guys, do some research before objecting to facts. Objecting to facts by stating "disagreement" with them just doesn't make sense. I'm glad you like the device and that's cool - but it doesn't give license to lie about its qualities or change facts to suit your preferences.

I buy exactly what I want based on my preferences. We're not talking about my preferences, we're talking about objectively facts. If you guys can't distinguish between facts and opinions, there's no point in continuing the discussion because that's a very poor way to debate.

I'll point you to the rules as well, it seems like several people in this thread want to ignore them. Calling another member a troll or accusing them of trolling is trolling.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The screen is objectively better based on measurements. I didn't weigh in my opinion. The charging tech is better because it follows the USB C spec with power delivery rather than a proprietary strategy that offers less benefits and requires users to only use OEM components.

Guys, do some research before objecting to facts. Objecting to facts by stating "disagreement" with them just doesn't make sense. I'm glad you like the device and that's cool - but it doesn't give license to lie about its qualities or change facts to suit your preferences.

I buy exactly what I want based on my preferences. We're not talking about my preferences, we're talking about objectively facts. If you guys can't distinguish between facts and opinions, there's no point in continuing the discussion because that's a very poor way to debate.

I'll point you to the rules as well, it seems like several people in this thread want to ignore them. Calling another member a troll or accusing them of trolling is trolling.

You just called me a troll, that's trolling. Stahp.

"there's no point in continuing the discussion because that's a very poor way to debate." If I say you're right, Will you stop?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You just called me a troll, that's trolling. Stahp.

"there's no point in continuing the discussion because that's a very poor way to debate." If I say you're right, Will you stop?

I did not call you a troll. I reminded you to review the part of the rules that you are violating. If we need to take that part of the conversation offline we can do that, but my advice is to let it go and simply read the rules rather than arguing about them with the moderator team in posts (also against the rules, which you'll see if you reread them).

And it is very difficult to have a sincere conversation when the oneplus crowd, yourself included, values their subjective uninformed opinions over actual measurements. One simply cannot say, for example, that the op3 screen is better than the 5x. That's simply not true and so repeating it is either dishonest or perverse. One can say they prefer one over the other, but that's neither here nor there because the CEO is trying to say the screen doesn't suck AND that people love it. The love it is irrelevant and disingenuous because what he's arguing against is the fact that it's terrible according to objective measurements. So he's wrong and kicking out a logical fallacy to double down on being wrong. My comments here are due to the CEO either being grossly misinformed or dishonest, either one is unacceptable so it's important to set the record straight on the actual facts of the situation.

If you and the other oneplus fans cannot produce measurements to dispute facts, then the opinions being weighed against the facts remain useless. that's what I'm saying and for some reason people are missing the point and assuming I dont like the phone or that I'm a Samsung fanboy or whatever. All of that is wrong. I simply abhor people lying in the forums and using this community to spread misinformation. So yes, I'm going to speak out against this type of behavior. Giving credence to the CEO is doing a disservice to us all.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit that I have not played more than a short time with a friends 5x so what I know about that phone is mostly anecdotal. 3 friends bought the device all 3 have moved on. Read Nexus 5X, three months on | Android Central of 5 reviewers, 5 site lag and poor performance, only 1 says not to a point where it's a concern.

I believe that the SD 808 and 810 will be looked at by history as a step back for Qualcomm. It was more than interesting that Samsung reportedly stopped development on the 810 after testing found the processor wanting, and simply not as good as it's in house Exynos, but that they went back to the 820 with the S7. I own both the S7E and the OP 3 and both phones sail - the 820 is more than just a step up in performance it's a much better package and lends to a much better user experience just on it's own.

I also have to disagree some with your blanket statement that the Nexus QC is better than Dash. Dash is extremely fast and what it does do is take the management off the phone. I did not have a Nexus as I said but I did have the BlackBerry Priv running QC 2.0. Plugged into a QC 2.0 certified charger the phone would often get extremely hot especially if it was in the car running GMaps and PocketCasts at the same time, while charging The phone would obviously throttle at times and get to the point where it would just lock up, especially if a call came in in the midst of it. Removing that thermal challenge is going to be a benefit to the phone without a doubt. We will probably agree to disagree on this one.

The N5x wins audio because it has a front facing speaker that many describe as "tinny" (see the review captioned above). The bottom facing speaker on the OP3 is actually fairly good for a bottom facing speaker. Let me quickly add as well to watch the pocket now review and their comments about the headphone jack on the OP3.

Finally I know you think this is subjective, but eventually dark mode will find it's way back into stock Android. The OP3 has it in it's software. I also like the notifications toggle. Also subjective.

As I said earlier I think the OP3 is a package that works better than the sum of it's parts, I feel (again based on anecdotal evidence) that the N5x might be a package that does not live up to the sum of it's parts. I know they've made it better since launch, but I still believe there are persistent problems that nag that phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I also have to disagree some with your blanket statement that the Nexus QC is better than Dash

The Nexus doesn't have QC, it uses USB C with Power Delivery, which is 98% as fast as Quick Charge 3.0 but carries none of the risks. Dash Charge is definitely fast, but it's not following the industry standards and uses a proprietary methodology that makes the user have to use only their wall charger and cables. Proprietary tech when it violates a superior industry standard is always inferior.

I have to admit that I have not played more than a short time with a friends 5x so what I know about that phone is mostly anecdotal. 3 friends bought the device all 3 have moved on. Read Nexus 5X, three months on | Android Central of 5 reviewers, 5 site lag and poor performance, only 1 says not to a point where it's a concern.

Yeah I know that they were having issues, I got mine after the software had already been fixed - which is exactly what I'm hoping happens with the OP3 - they can fix many of their issues with software patches and have said that they intend to.

I believe that the SD 808 and 810 will be looked at by history as a step back for Qualcomm. It was more than interesting that Samsung reportedly stopped development on the 810 after testing found the processor wanting, and simply not as good as it's in house Exynos, but that they went back to the 820 with the S7. I own both the S7E and the OP 3 and both phones sail - the 820 is more than just a step up in performance it's a much better package and lends to a much better user experience just on it's own.

Agree on this fully except the Snapdragon 810 V2.1, which is what's in the Nexus 6P - which is a big step up from the one in the LG Flex 2. The 820 is hands down better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thread is taking a break due to two members who aren't taking the hints from myself or Laura Knotek. We'll open up when everyone has had a chance to cool off and read through the recommendations to review the rules and make sure that everyone is posting within them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thread is taking a break due to two members who aren't taking the hints from myself or Laura Knotek. We'll open up when everyone has had a chance to cool off and read through the recommendations to review the rules and make sure that everyone is posting within them.

Thread has now been re-opened. As stated above please ensure to post within the rules (Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums) -- especially the part about P.U.P.P.A.H at the top.

If you have a question for the Mod Team please send a PM to me, Asssasin Droid, or another Mod rather than posting and asking so the topic can stay on track. Thanks.

ben55124

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had the OP3 for a week and screen is good for me. Battery life and performance are more important to me than exceeding 400ppi. OP sets themselves up for criticism and snide remarks with their "Never Settle" motto. Compromise is part of life. I would like microSD, replaceable battery, and waterproofing, but I settled for the OP3 because I liked it overall at $400.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had the OP3 for a week and screen is good for me. Battery life and performance are more important to me than exceeding 400ppi. OP sets themselves up for criticism and snide remarks with their "Never Settle" motto. Compromise is part of life. I would like microSD, replaceable battery, and waterproofing, but I settled for the OP3 because I liked it overall at $400.
Compromises aren't bad, smart compromises are good. The practical decision-making of One Plus is a good thing so long as they dont make believe that they aren't compromises. This is a pretty darn good device with a great price tag.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Compromises aren't bad, smart compromises are good. The practical decision-making of One Plus is a good thing so long as they dont make believe that they aren't compromises. This is a pretty darn good device with a great price tag.
Exactly. Every phone has its own set of compromises for a variety of reasons. It would be foolish to think a phone can have absolutely no compromise.

The OnePlus 3 is $399. Shouldn't we expect a few compromises? That said, I can agree with those compromises because we still end up with a damn good phone for a great price tag. Frankly, I find those compromises logical, though Carl Pei somewhat refuusing to somehow acknowledge that is a bit rough in my books.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
And a much better screen, charging tech, security... Never mind, you didn't read before responding. It has many advantages, detailed above. You quoted many of them.

Have to disagree on the charging tech - Dash Charging is the standard to beat, I won't touch any other fast charging because the closest it does to managing heat is reduce the speed at which it charges which...seems a bit silly, fast charging with the speed throttled?

Anyway, the heat dissipation is something everyone else seemed to miss, which makes this top the pile for charging tech imo. Not to mention it's scary fast. Like really really fast.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Have to disagree on the charging tech - Dash Charging is the standard to beat, I won't touch any other fast charging because the closest it does to managing heat is reduce the speed at which it charges which...seems a bit silly, fast charging with the speed throttled?

Anyway, the heat dissipation is something everyone else seemed to miss, which makes this top the pile for charging tech imo. Not to mention it's scary fast. Like really really fast.
I think he means when it comes to USB-C certification.

On its own, it's actually very good. It's fast and doesn't heat up the phone that much compared to others. But for USB-C, there's the question of whether it meets those standards.

Mmmmm, Android Smores....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes the reviews of it are very favorable and how fast it works and pushing the heat from the phone are all very good things. My two issues are as first, as D13H4D2L1V3 - determining if it's fully compliant with the USB - C spec and second, using a proprietary solution that requires specialized equipment over simply using the Power Delivery protocols. It's obvious why they did it and seems like a good idea, but it makes it obviously less compatible with industry standards.

Now, one could make an argument that perhaps the industry is wrong and they've found a better way... but I don't need to be convinced of that, the USB consortium does :p Because if they have, we want that in all phones and hopefully for OnePlus to collect licensing fees for it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes the reviews of it are very favorable and how fast it works and pushing the heat from the phone are all very good things. My two issues are as first, as D13H4D2L1V3 - determining if it's fully compliant with the USB - C spec and second, using a proprietary solution that requires specialized equipment over simply using the Power Delivery protocols. It's obvious why they did it and seems like a good idea, but it makes it obviously less compatible with industry standards.

Now, one could make an argument that perhaps the industry is wrong and they've found a better way... but I don't need to be convinced of that, the USB consortium does :p Because if they have, we want that in all phones and hopefully for OnePlus to collect licensing fees for it.
I actually hope we get that sort of fast-charging tech in the mainstream. Putting the power-management IC and cooling hardware in the wallwart so that the phone can charge faster without getting really warm, of course, while meeting USB-C standards.

Perhaps that might happen one day with a wallwart that has the power-management IC and cooling hardware in itself while charging at USB PD speeds?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I actually hope we get that sort of fast-charging tech in the mainstream. Putting the power-management IC and cooling hardware in the wallwart so that the phone can charge faster without getting really warm, of course, while meeting USB-C standards.

Perhaps that might happen one day with a wallwart that has the power-management IC and cooling hardware in itself while charging at USB PD speeds?
Other OEMs and USB consortium read the above... One Plus might be smarter than you on this feature, so figure out what makes sense and act accordingly :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon