Reboots during navigation may kill the OP3 for me

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, just when I thought I'd buried the issue of what phone to buy in 2016, I stumble across this issue... first in the forums over at OP, and now, here, after doing a search.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/random-reboot-during-navigation-apps-waze-google-maps.467607/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3/696510-random-reboots.html#post5251384

I have to say that a random issue like this is likely to kill my interest in the OP3. Fortunately, my OP3, ordered on 10/4 is still showing pending shipment.

Now I have to decide what to get if I cancel the OP3. I am extremely disappointed to discover this issue, although glad to learn of it before my OP3 ships.

Man, I don't know what to do now. I was all psyched up to receive the OP3. Not only that, I'll have to change my avatar now. ;)

Edit: I just checked and the iP7+/128 won't be available until late November or early December. The Pixel XL/128 is also out of stock and I don't see any date when more will be available. Meanwhile, my old GS4 is acting up and either needs to be replaced or I need to do a FDR and re-install everything sometime soon. I really don't want to do that if I'm going to replace it.

Last edited:

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
So far the only time that I experienced a random reboot was when I first installed the community build 3 days ago. Besides that, I have used Google maps to navigate on OOS 3.2.7 and the CB 3.5.3 and have not had any problems. Might just be me though.

lsmith9523

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I received my OP3 about a week ago and have experienced no issues with reboot. I did have a software update upon booting up for first time. I am coming from the Note 7 fiasco. I am really enjoying this device.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Well this gives me some hope that the random reboots are entirely random, but it still concerns me. I'd feel much better about it if OP was able to identify and fix the problem. Hopefully, better than Samsung did identifying and fixing the Note7 battery issue, while affecting a very tiny percentage of the phones sold, affected enough to kill the product.

Not having a good plan B in mind, I'm tempted to keep the order going and let the OP3 come in. I'll still have 15 days to try it out (unless it comes in while I'm out of town.. which is likely!).

Rats. I really wish this weren't so conflicting. But I've read numerous reports of people experiencing the random reboots that it gives me pause for thought.

My avatar reflects my conundrum right now.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Well this gives me some hope that the random reboots are entirely random, but it still concerns me. I'd feel much better about it if OP was able to identify and fix the problem. Hopefully, better than Samsung did identifying and fixing the Note7 battery issue, while affecting a very tiny percentage of the phones sold, affected enough to kill the product.

Not having a good plan B in mind, I'm tempted to keep the order going and let the OP3 come in. I'll still have 15 days to try it out (unless it comes in while I'm out of town.. which is likely!).

Rats. I really wish this weren't so conflicting. But I've read numerous reports of people experiencing the random reboots that it gives me pause for thought.

My avatar reflects my conundrum right now.

If it's that big of a concern of yours, then I get the contemplation.

In my experience, I use navigation A LOT when paired with Bluetooth and while charging/not charging, and this has only happened on one occasion. It was a couple hours in and it soft rebooted about three times in a span of a half hour. Then the next few hours it didn't happen again.

I've known about this issue since well before it happened to me, which has been pretty much the life of the phone. I've had it since launch and it's only happened that one time, out of multiple long trips and using navigation about 2-3 times a week regularly, all with the same variables.

I'd really like to tell you not to worry about it so much, but that's not up to me. So take it for what it's worth, but in my opinion, if it happened way more often, I wouldn't stand for it either. But it hasn't, so I can live with it. I think your odds are pretty good.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
If it's that big of a concern of yours, then I get the contemplation.

In my experience, I use navigation A LOT when paired with Bluetooth and while charging/not charging, and this has only happened on one occasion. It was a couple hours in and it soft rebooted about three times in a span of a half hour. Then the next few hours it didn't happen again.

I've known about this issue since well before it happened to me, which has been pretty much the life of the phone. I've had it since launch and it's only happened that one time, out of multiple long trips and using navigation about 2-3 times a week regularly, all with the same variables.

I'd really like to tell you not to worry about it so much, but that's not up to me. So take it for what it's worth, but in my opinion, if it happened way more often, I wouldn't stand for it either. But it hasn't, so I can live with it. I think your odds are pretty good.

Edit: the reboots happened about 2 months ago, which there have been at least a couple software updates/hotfixes since then. Not sure if the issue has been fixed or not. I'm not really on the one plus forums all that much either, so not sure of the chatter going on there.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Does this happen only when using dash car charger?

Not from what I've read of those with the issue. It appears to happen charging or not, using BT or not, etc.

The Dash car charger remains out of stock so I will use a 2.4A car charger that charges my old GS4 while navigating. I do use BT, but only to pair to my Pebble Steel watch. And also to connect to my OBD2 apps like Torque Pro, etc.

I use Waze daily and sometimes back it up with Google Maps. I look forward to running Nougat and having both nav apps running on screen at the same time. Currently, that chokes my GS4 after a while, even with only one app onscreen at a time.

I don't have Android Auto.

Daiz4yota

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I received my OP3 about a week ago and have experienced no issues with reboot. I did have a software update upon booting up for first time. I am coming from the Note 7 fiasco. I am really enjoying this device.

Returned my Note and have this ordered. Did it really take 3 weeks to get it? I ordered a week ago, and its showing an arrival Nov 1st. How is the screen compared to the Note? Thats honestly my only concern, as the N7 screen is freaking amazing and may have spoiled me. Otherwise, my Note had become so damn laggy that this device will probably feel like magic in comparison.

Novaprime

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I have had the OP3 since launch. As far as I can recall I have had none. I'm not running the community builds though. I'm on OTA updates and standard Oxygen.

Novaprime

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Returned my Note and have this ordered. Did it really take 3 weeks to get it? I ordered a week ago, and its showing an arrival Nov 1st. How is the screen compared to the Note? Thats honestly my only concern, as the N7 screen is freaking amazing and may have spoiled me. Otherwise, my Note had become so damn laggy that this device will probably feel like magic in comparison.
To be honest mate, you may notice the screen for a short while till you are 'unspoiled' 😁. I had a note 4 then a s7 edge so I noticed but now I don't anymore and I am seriously happy with the speed of the phone. It's the best I have owned for my use. Also, the audio through headphones etc is awesome. They def put thought into it.

Bippoptl

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from the Note7 (and many other Samsung devices) too. I love this phone. So much faster than any Samsung I've ever owned. Battery life is equal to, or better than, the Note7. And the charging speed is so fast it's actually still hard to believe.

Daiz4yota

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm coming from the Note7 (and many other Samsung devices) too. I love this phone. So much faster than any Samsung I've ever owned. Battery life is equal to, or better than, the Note7. And the charging speed is so fast it's actually still hard to believe.

Yea im super excited about the speed and charging. Honestly my note 7 (returning tomorrow) has slowed to a CRAWL. I have done 2 FDR, and used package disabler pro to disable dozens of apps. I honestly would be furious if this phone hadnt been recalled and I was out of the 14 day return window. The thing is gorgeous, but has become basically useless to me due to lag. So tired of waiting for the OP3

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I have had the OP3 since launch. As far as I can recall I have had none. I'm not running the community builds though. I'm on OTA updates and standard Oxygen.

Do you often use Waze or Google Maps? For whatever reason, that seems to be the trigger (or perhaps A trigger) for the reboot.

To be honest mate, you may notice the screen for a short while till you are 'unspoiled' 😁. I had a note 4 then a s7 edge so I noticed but now I don't anymore and I am seriously happy with the speed of the phone. It's the best I have owned for my use. Also, the audio through headphones etc is awesome. They def put thought into it.

Coming from a Galaxy S4 (1080P), I should notice no difference. But I do hope it's brighter than my GS4. Viewing the GS4 outside in bright daylight is an exercise in futility.

I think I've decided to keep my OP3 order intact and give it the 15 day trial. I hope it's everything I expect... and more!

Novaprime

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Do you often use Waze or Google Maps? For whatever reason, that seems to be the trigger (or perhaps A trigger) for the reboot.

Coming from a Galaxy S4 (1080P), I should notice no difference. But I do hope it's brighter than my GS4. Viewing the GS4 outside in bright daylight is an exercise in futility.

I think I've decided to keep my OP3 order intact and give it the 15 day trial. I hope it's everything I expect... and more!
Hmmm. I have been using a tom tom so I haven't noticed. I used Waze before but Can't remember if I had issues with the op3. I had issues with my note 4 and Waze so I got a dedicated satnav. Best way.

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe this is completely random. I've had this happen to me on two or three occasions while using Waze. In both cases weather wasn't the greatest. I believe this has to do with some interference with the GPS signal. Now there have been times when Waze reports not being able to get a GPS signal and I haven't experienced a reboot during this times so there is some inconsistency here. I use Waze daily for a few hours and really this practically never happens to me.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I noticed today that my online status changed from Pending shipment to processing. So I changed my avatar back and guess I'll take a chance on the OP3 and hope for the best!

jbbrown79

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I noticed today that my online status changed from Pending shipment to processing. So I changed my avatar back and guess I'll take a chance on the OP3 and hope for the best!
Cool, when was your original dispatch and delivery date? Mine has been pending a little over week. Delivery estimated 10/28. I'm ready for this phone!

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Cool, when was your original dispatch and delivery date? Mine has been pending a little over week. Delivery estimated 10/28. I'm ready for this phone!

I ordered the graphite OP3 on Oct. 4th. Dispatch and delivery dates were October 21st and Oct. 27th. USA, NC.