Security updates

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I am guessing that you are on the stock Oxygen firmware and not the latest OxygenOS Open Beta 7, released today, which is on the November Google security patch. The last stock firmware release, 3.2.7, was at the very end of September and a new, 3.2.8, release is due any day now. This will also have the November security patch.

See, also... http://forums.androidcentral.com/on...4-open-beta-7-mm-oneplus-3-a.html#post5566482

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
As above, the Community Builds are awesome and updated quicker than probably all but Nexus/Pixel devices. I was on the 1st September update around the 29th August and the 1st October update the last couple of days of September.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161118-124447_01.png
    Screenshot_20161118-124447_01.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 53

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
As above, the Community Builds are awesome and updated quicker than probably all but Nexus/Pixel devices. I was on the 1st September update around the 29th August and the 1st October update the last couple of days of September.

Looking at possibly picking up the OP3T, how easy is it to get on the Community Builds? And are the updates pushed OTA?

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Are the community build stable?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Are the community build stable?

They're considered stable enough to use as your main device, but you are more likely to run into issues than on the stable channel.

I don't use it at the moment because I don't see the point, but as far as I know safetynet doesn't work with the community builds. If that's still the case, it means no android pay, Pokémon GO and possibly things like banking apps won't work.

For the person above, you have to flash the community builds manually the first time. Once it's installed though you'll get OTA updates, but only to new community builds, not full release versions.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
They're considered stable enough to use as your main device, but you are more likely to run into issues than on the stable channel.

I don't use it at the moment because I don't see the point, but as far as I know safetynet doesn't work with the community builds. If that's still the case, it means no android pay, Pokémon GO and possibly things like banking apps won't work.

For the person above, you have to flash the community builds manually the first time. Once it's installed though you'll get OTA updates, but only to new community builds, not full release versions.

This keep me on the stable channel. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to try the CBs.

I also had a question about the security updates as my OP3 is on September 1, 2016 as well. Hopefully the soon to be released stable update will have the November security updates. This release cycle may not be that far out of cycle with respect to other manufacturers (other than Nexus/Pixel). But the 9/1/16 security update on my OP3 is still a year newer than the last one my GS4 got (9/1/2015). ;)

When I was shopping for a new cell phone this year, I considered the unlocked versions that Samsung sells, but learned they don't get updates as quickly as the phones that come from the carriers... which struck me as rather odd. And besides, Samsung didn't make anything that interested me in 2016 besides the Note7. And we all know how that worked out.

I'd be curious to learn what the update cycle is for the various mfgs out there:

Samsung
LG
HTC
OP
Huawei
ZTE
Xiaomi
etc.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I assume others have run into problems, but I've been very lucky and running on CB, this has actually been the most stable phone I think I've owned.

Ironically, an overheating problem caused by a stable channel version (3.2.4?) Pushed me to move to the CB! To answer question above, It was a pain the first time and having Win 10 didn't seem to help but I got there in about 60-90 mins. Updates have been OTA and very regular, and have kept me very up to date with security patches. I'm on 1st Nov patch, I had the 1st Oct patch at the end of September :)

I heard some issues with Android Pay for others; I'm an avid user of Android Pay, I've had no problems so far and it works with multiple cards, as do the 3 banking apps I use. Hope this helps! As always, YMMV and this has just been my own experience.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I assume others have run into problems, but I've been very lucky and running on CB, this has actually been the most stable phone I think I've owned.

Ironically, an overheating problem caused by a stable channel version (3.2.4?) Pushed me to move to the CB! To answer question above, It was a pain the first time and having Win 10 didn't seem to help but I got there in about 60-90 mins. Updates have been OTA and very regular, and have kept me very up to date with security patches. I'm on 1st Nov patch, I had the 1st Oct patch at the end of September :)

I heard some issues with Android Pay for others; I'm an avid user of Android Pay, I've had no problems so far and it works with multiple cards, as do the 3 banking apps I use. Hope this helps! As always, YMMV and this has just been my own experience.

This is all very interesting and contrary to my understanding of Android Pay issues. So the CBs don't break the ability to use Android Pay and banking apps?

I think I need to find a good source and read up on the process of using the CBs. OTOH, I have zero complaints about 3.2.7 at the present time. Although, I would still prefer speed dials using the keypad instead of the direct dial shortcuts. Do the CBs address that? Maybe Nougat?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Well worth considering, IMHO, speedlever. I am finding the OnePlus Beta builds to be very stable and offer some very nice features and updates every fortnight or so. OnePlus treat these Beta builds the way they do the stock Oxygen firmware, inasmuch as that once you are on the Beta builds, you receive OTA hotfixes and updates to future Beta builds, direct from OnePlus.

I would strongly recommend backing everything up and wiping the phone completely before side loading the Beta firmware and setting up the phone afresh rather than attempting a dirty flash. I have been on Beta builds for 3 months now and am loving them as per my post #2 of Open Beta 7 (MM) for OnePlus 3 in the OnePlus 3 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks section of the forum, above.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Well worth considering, IMHO, speedlever. I am finding the OnePlus Beta builds to be very stable and offer some very nice features and updates every fortnight or so. OnePlus treat these Beta builds the way they do the stock Oxygen firmware, inasmuch as that once you are on the Beta builds, you receive OTA hotfixes and updates to future Beta builds, direct from OnePlus.

I would strongly recommend backing everything up and wiping the phone completely before side loading the Beta firmware and setting up the phone afresh rather than attempting a dirty flash. I have been on Beta builds for 3 months now and am loving them as per my post #2 of Open Beta 7 (MM) for OnePlus 3 in the OnePlus 3 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks section of the forum, above.

The clean setup is the main drawback to me doing this. I've slowly put my OP3 in working order over several weeks when I transitioned from the GS4. I don't really look forward to starting all over installing all my apps and tweaking them individually again. At least, not so soon after I just did it. (I work slowly!)

What I'd really like to do is get a 3T/128GB and have one to play with and one to use as my daily driver! With the money I saved by not buying the iP7+/128 or the Pixel XL/128 or the V20, I should be good, right? Right? (it'll never get by the budget committee, even if she did just get a new iP7 to replace her failing iP5). ;)

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The clean setup is the main drawback to me doing this. I've slowly put my OP3 in working order over several weeks when I transitioned from the GS4. I don't really look forward to starting all over installing all my apps and tweaking them individually again. At least, not so soon after I just did it. (I work slowly!)

What I'd really like to do is get a 3T/128GB and have one to play with and one to use as my daily driver! With the money I saved by not buying the iP7+/128 or the Pixel XL/128 or the V20, I should be good, right? Right? (it'll never get by the budget committee, even if she did just get a new iP7 to replace her failing iP5). ;)

Speed, go ahead and treat yourself to a OP3T... don't forget us ladies spend god awful amounts of money on bags, shoes, hair, makeup.... And other "essentials" which are considerably more than the OP3T

Enjoy!!

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Speed, go ahead and treat yourself to a OP3T... don't forget us ladies spend god awful amounts of money on bags, shoes, hair, makeup.... And other "essentials" which are considerably more than the OP3T

Enjoy!!

MRS DIVA, you are evil and must be destroyed! (j/k)

Edit: I put the 3T/128 in my cart... and almost pulled the trigger. But I simply have no justifiable reason to spend the money. But I was/am sorely tempted! (and you're no help!)

Last edited:

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
I put the 3T/128 in my cart... and almost pulled the trigger. But I simply have no justifiable reason to spend the money.

Me either, but if I didn't just order my wife a new iPhone 7+ I'd likely have ordered myself the 128GB 3t and resold my 3. I directly know two people who would like the 3 but haven't gone for it yet.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Me either, but if I didn't just order my wife a new iPhone 7+ I'd likely have ordered myself the 128GB 3t and resold my 3. I directly know two people who would like the 3 but haven't gone for it yet.

I ordered one as soon as I could in the middle of the night. I was looking at saving some money for the time being and still getting top of the line specs. I have a Pixel on order, but I'm most likely going to cancel, as I don't see how it's worth $400 more. Not until I have spent some time with the OP3T. I also looked into a 7 Plus, but again, once all was said and done, I was looking at over a grand for that. If I had the OP3, I doubt I'd get the T, but for those of us who don't and are looking to save a few bucks, this thing looks perfect.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
As tempted as I am to spring for the 3T, I still think I'll hold off and see what the OP4 or OP5 brings to the table. I'm still very pleased by the OP3 and have no real reason to change other that having another nearly identical phone that I could use for a daily driver and another to use to get comfy with CBs (without interrupting service while I sort out being a newbie to that process).

I just couldn't spend $900-$1000 on a phone to just replace it again in a couple or 3 years (iP7+, Pixel XL, Note7, etc.). The OP3 has more than met my expectations so far.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
As tempted as I am to spring for the 3T, I still think I'll hold off and see what the OP4 or OP5 brings to the table. I'm still very pleased by the OP3 and have no real reason to change other that having another nearly identical phone that I could use for a daily driver and another to use to get comfy with CBs (without interrupting service while I sort out being a newbie to that process).

I just couldn't spend $900-$1000 on a phone to just replace it again in a couple or 3 years (iP7+, Pixel XL, Note7, etc.). The OP3 has more than met my expectations so far.

Same, but it still makes me laugh that people are annoyed that the 3T exists. As an OP3 owner, I'm delighted to see they've been able to make some really nice (IMO) improvements in such a short time, as by the time I'm ready to change phones the OP4 will be out and this strikes me as a sign of good things to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo