OxygenOS Open Beta 8 (Nougat) for OnePlus 3

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
OnePlus have at last issued the Open Beta for Nougat, Android 7.0. This is a beta test version. Beta means that there may be issues with the release. This release is for OnePlus 3, A3000 & A3003, only.

"Some key updates in this build:
Upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat
New Notifications Design
New Settings Menu Design
Multi-Window View
Notification Direct Reply
Custom DPI Support
Added Status Bar Icon Options
Added Quick Launch For 3rd Party Applications
Improved Shelf Customization
This build will not OTA to current open beta users. You can download the build here:
"

OxygenOS Open Beta 8 See post #22 below.

"[Known Issues]
Android Pay may not work correctly
Some stability/performance issues
After upgrading to Android N, you will not be able to directly downgrade back to M builds. Our customer service team has a special build of Android M that will allow you to downgrade, but this will format your device. If you'd like to flash back to M, please contact Customer Support.
Please keep in mind that this is beta software. This build will not be as stable as our official OTA releases. Given that this is a shift to a brand new version of Android, there may be more bugs in this build than previous Open Beta builds. By installing this update, you accept the potential risks.
"

For more information, see the thread at...

OxygenOS Open Beta 8 (Nougat) for OnePlus 3

Please read, carefully and thoroughly, all installation instructions in the thread. DO NOT attempt to use TWRP custom recovery to flash this firmware.

N.B. This beta build is for competent and experienced users. ;)

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I presume you're running it, or will be soon?

Hmm can my curiosity trump my laziness... lol.

Downgrading isn't much of an issue cause I use TWRP, but apparently it'll be released to the stable channel this month anyway (although I'll believe it when it happens)...

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
So far... so good. No major issues. I am taking, IMHO, the wisest route of doing a clean install after a Factory Data Reset, so that there can be no detritus from Marshmallow to cause any issues. ;)

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link....what scared me was his final conclusion- (I am hoping F2FS has/is mature enough now to NOT inflict stability issues for the OP3T)

"My conclusion:

F2FS is still a relatively new file system and its implementation to android isn't perfect yet. So if you value your data to be stable and safe, stay away from F2FS. Ext4 is still the best and most popular file system today (being reliable, fast enough for everyday usage) and it will be used for a long time until someone finally fixes the issues with F2FS. However, it comes with it's fair share of disadvantages. Some devices are not able to properly handle EXT4 due to kernel driver issues, and so the only option to use is VFAT or FAT32."

Both, actually lol. It has advantages and disadvantages over ext4, but that'll really only affect devs... It's not really something you or I should realistically ever notice.

Would you like to know more?
Android Modders Guide: File systems

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link....what scared me was his final conclusion- (I am hoping F2FS has/is mature enough now to NOT inflict stability issues for the OP3T)

"My conclusion:

F2FS is still a relatively new file system and its implementation to android isn't perfect yet. So if you value your data to be stable and safe, stay away from F2FS. Ext4 is still the best and most popular file system today (being reliable, fast enough for everyday usage) and it will be used for a long time until someone finally fixes the issues with F2FS. However, it comes with it's fair share of disadvantages. Some devices are not able to properly handle EXT4 due to kernel driver issues, and so the only option to use is VFAT or FAT32."

Tbh I haven't got enough experience with F2FS to really say... But I wouldn't worry too much, if it isn't stable enough it probably won't be included in the final stable OTA.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have been on f2fs file system for about a month, on the last 2 beta builds, with no problems whatsoever. It is the default file system on the newly released 3T models.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way of knowing if the forthcoming Nougat stable release for the OP3 will require a complete wipe and reset of the OP3 (to change the file system)? If so, that may be the perfect time to move to the latest CB, if one were so inclined.

Thoughts?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way of knowing if the forthcoming Nougat stable release for the OP3 will require a complete wipe and reset of the OP3 (to change the file system)? If so, that may be the perfect time to move to the latest CB, if one were so inclined.

Thoughts?

It won't, the outrage would be as insanely huge as it would justified.

They might not change the file sytem, and even if they do it's possible to do without impacting data. But that can be pretty difficult and problematic, so they'll probably just leave it as ext4.

Last edited:

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
It won't, the outrage would be as insanely huge as it would justified.

They might not change the file sytem, and even if they do it's possible to do without impacting data. But that can be pretty difficult and problematic, so they'll probably just leave it as ext4.

OK, thanks.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I think that OnePlus will maintain the status quo as regards to the f2fs file system on the 3 model. That is to say, that unless a user does a Factory Data Reset and fresh install on their phone, the /data partition will remain at ext4. This is the way it is on the latest Beta builds.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
If I snag the OTA Nougat update and install it, then do a FDR, will that install the f2fs file system automatically? Of course if I go to that trouble, I might as well hop on the CB wagon. ;)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that OnePlus will maintain the status quo as regards to the f2fs file system on the 3 model. That is to say, that unless a user does a Factory Data Reset and fresh install on their phone, the /data partition will remain at ext4. This is the way it is on the latest Beta builds.

Exactly. They'll leave it as ext4 cause it's just too much hassle to hot switch a file system.

Do you by any chance know if the community build for Nougat still has the same bootloader as stable? I'm wondering if a new version of TWRP will be required... I'm thinking of backing up my user data and internal storage, updating and formatting to f2fs and restoring my stuff... It's not a big deal if a custom TWRP is needed, but it usually takes a few months for the full feature set to be realised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol