Would anyone be opposed to a smaller size?

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I know the trend now is to obtain bigger phones but I personally like a phone that fits well in my hand and in my pocket. I know there is the OnePlus X but it is very limited with band connectivity (at least in the US). A 5inch variant for the next One Plus phone would be great. I'm just not sure this is what the company aims for. Would anyone else like to see this same phone in a more compact size or am I the only oddball that doesn't prefer big phones?

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If they'd launched a 5 inch variant alongside the 5.5 with otherwise identical specs, I'd probably have bought it instead.

I'm a fairly large guy so i don't have a lot of trouble hand wise, but it can still be a bit of a ***** in my pocketsies.

5.2 is probably the perfect balance in my opinion.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I am the opposite. I like the 5.5" but could happily go for a 5.7" screen.

This. I was a bit disappointed that screen sizes came down to 5.5 inches for 2016. I've lived with a 5 inch screen for 3.5 years and definitely like more screen real estate. Especially in something like the Note7 with a 5.7 inch screen in the same size body as the OP3. Except I am not a fan of edge displays.

Isn't there a ZTE Axon 7 mini now for $299?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This. I was a bit disappointed that screen sizes came down to 5.5 inches for 2016. I've lived with a 5 inch screen for 3.5 years and definitely like more screen real estate. Especially in something like the Note7 with a 5.7 inch screen in the same size body as the OP3. Except I am not a fan of edge displays.

Isn't there a ZTE Axon 7 mini now for $299?

Yeah, it's £250 here. But you can only get it from Carphone warehouse (ugh), only in gold (yuck), and the specs are... Mediocre at best. Not something I'd consider personally, screen size is good, but that's about all.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
How do you all manage with these bigger phones? As far as comfortability? I currently have a 4.7 inch phone and even then it just fits enough in my pocket so that it doesn't stick out. I can't image something like a 5.5 inch phone being comfortable in the pocket especially when sitting down. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but something like this actually makes it or breaks it for me despite the OP3T's very attractive price and specs.

GG1

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It might feel big at the beginning, but you get used to it quite rapidly, at least that's how it was for me. I've been using my Nexus 6P for the past year and just received the OPO 3T yesterday and im actually struggling to get used to a smaller screen even though there isn't much difference.The OPO 3T is quite small for a 5.5 inch screen actually and is also very light and comfortable to use. I personally couldn't go smaller than 5.5 at this point.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
How do you all manage with these bigger phones? As far as comfortability? I currently have a 4.7 inch phone and even then it just fits enough in my pocket so that it doesn't stick out. I can't image something like a 5.5 inch phone being comfortable in the pocket especially when sitting down. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but something like this actually makes it or breaks it for me despite the OP3T's very attractive price and specs.

I don't carry it in my pocket very often. My OP3 resides in a slim-fit case (Spigen Rugged Armor). Normally, I carry the encased phone in a Turtleback vertical holster on my belt.
https://www.amazon.com/Turtleback-S...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5591222

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's £250 here. But you can only get it from Carphone warehouse (ugh), only in gold (yuck), and the specs are... Mediocre at best. Not something I'd consider personally, screen size is good, but that's about all.

Hmm, they did down-spec the mini. Oh well. I think the Axon 7 has its appeal. But I don't know anything about the skin they use. Fortunately, OOS is minimalistic with no bloat that I'm aware of on the OP3/3T. Not sure about the Axon 7, but I do like the FF speakers and the SD card option. But yeah, not a fan of the gold color either.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I keep trying the stock launcher on OOS 3.2.8 but keep reverting back to Nova Prime. I love having unread notifications (which if available on the stock launcher, I haven't figured them out yet) and also like the smaller icons and having multiple dock pages that NP offers.

There's probably a lot about the stock launcher I could learn, if I chose to do so. But I'm having a hard time finding a reason to leave NP.

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't like a smaller OP3 as I like bigger screens. I do see the issue of carrying larger phones, especially for men as it means having bulging pockets.

I would be happy with a 5.7/5.8 inch screen.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd be happy if the OP4 bumped up the screen size - but I'd need the bezels that little bit smaller. I know they aren't huge as is, but while I want a bigger screen I'm about at the limit of phone size for me personally.

GG1

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I keep trying the stock launcher on OOS 3.2.8 but keep reverting back to Nova Prime. I love having unread notifications (which if available on the stock launcher, I haven't figured them out yet) and also like the smaller icons and having multiple dock pages that NP offers.

There's probably a lot about the stock launcher I could learn, if I chose to do so. But I'm having a hard time finding a reason to leave NP.

You can resize the icons ( i have set them on small ) with stock .

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, where is the setting to change OOS launcher icon size to be found? I glanced through various settings and didn't see anything that stood out to me that would be relevant.

GG1

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the delay...long press home screen click on customize..scroll to go right... You can change icons and size in there.
(Unless its just on the 3T and not 3? )
Im using round icons and set to small with stock OOS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles