Horrible Android Camera App Bug!!!

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same problem on the Nexus 6, and got the OP3 in part because of it. But the OP3 has the same problem: When I record videos longer than a few seconds (say 20+ seconds long) the Stop button will suddenly stop being highlighted and I can't turn the video off. The only way to end the recording is to close or minimize the app. Either way, the video is deleted and not stored on the camera.

Needless to say this is extremely frustrating when one is recording special moments with e.g., the family. Is this a known bug? I've had it with both phones, so would think it's known.

I use the Oneplus camera app when possible, but unfortunately it can't be accessed with the double click button.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any screen dimming apps installed, like Lux? These apps can sometimes do weird things to onscreen buttons, which is due to the annoying Screen Overlay issue.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I can honestly say I have never heard of this issue, having been all over Nexus forums and currently one plus 3 forums. Nor have I experienced anything like this.

Does it happen every time you record a longer video? Or its Intermittent? I would check what b diddy said first. If not, boot into safe mode and try recording. If it doesn't happen, then it's a third party app or service that's the issue.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
But doesn't booting into safe mode prevent you from using 3rd party apps? Of which the Google camera would be a 3rd party app? Right?

Ditto the LUX issue. It took me *f o r e v e r* to discover why I couldn't sideload apps. Turns out it was the screen overlay issue mentioned above. So I had to disable LUX (on my GS4) every time I wanted to sideload an app. I don't use LUX on my OP3.

Edit: unless the OP is from India, the power button double click most certainly brings up the stock camera app. (when enabled in settings)

Last edited:

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
But doesn't booting into safe mode prevent you from using 3rd party apps? Of which the Google camera would be a 3rd party app? Right?

Ditto the LUX issue. It took me *f o r e v e r* to discover why I couldn't sideload apps. Turns out it was the screen overlay issue mentioned above. So I had to disable LUX (on my GS4) every time I wanted to sideload an app. I don't use LUX on my OP3.

Edit: unless the OP is from India, the power button double click most certainly brings up the camera app.

I don't see mention of them using the Google camera app. They mention using the one plus camera app, which will work in safe mode.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't see mention of them using the Google camera app. They mention using the one plus camera app, which will work in safe mode.

The OP mentions the Android camera app in the thread title which I assume he means the Google camera app. The OP distinctly points out near the end of his post that he while he likes to use the OP camera app, he can't access it via double click. He also said he had the same issue on the Nexus 6 which would certainly not involve the OP camera app. ;)

So putting it all together, I assume he's talking about the Google camera app. Or that's how I read it anyway.